Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009
Daysailor wannabe cruiser

lans0012 is on a distinguished road
Bristol 26 vs Cape Dory 25

Gang,

I'll be looking at a CD 25 and a Bristol 26 this week and I am curious what kind of opinions there are out there. Both builders seem to have good reputations and I have an idea of what things to look for at both boats. I'm curious on feedback on handling and sailing ability. This is going to be a weekender/daysailer in and around Tampa bay offshore occasionally but nothing serious. I've been looking for a CD25 or a Bristol 24 for a while because I like the way they look and they are 3-4' draft. The B26 I couldn't find much info on.

Any help is much appreciated
dlblandjr likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2009
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Here is a resource page for each.

The Cape Dory 25 - information for cruising sailors

The Bristol 26 - information for cruising sailors
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 07-23-2009

Selkirk is on a distinguished road
I wonder if you are actually trying to compare the Cape Dory 25D, which is an entirely different animal from the Cape Dory 25, with the Bristol 26.

The 25D's lines are shown in my avatar - don't know beans about the Bristol.

When you have compared, how about writing your opinions and feelings in this thread? I'd like to hear about it.
Old 07-23-2009
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
I may be wrong on this, but it seems that at one point when I was considering a Bristol 29 that I learned Bristols were built on hulls molded at Tillotson-Pearson. I'm pretty sure the Bristol 27 is simply a deluxe rendition of the Triton.

Don't know about the Bristol 26. I did find that the 27 was, in fact, a collaboration between Clint Pearson and Carl Alberg. Practical Sailor rated it small but very well constructed. "Built like a brick lighthouse"
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 07-23-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Delirious, with all due respect you are mistaken on all points.

The original Pearson Yachts was started by two cousins, Clint and Everett. Everett started Tillotson-Pearson, which was a contact composites company that happened to produce boats. Clint started Bristol Yachts. Clint hired Carl Alberg to design the Bristol 27. The Bristol 27 has no significant relationship to the Triton other than the names of the players, and was in no way deluxe as compared to the Triton or especially robustly built. I know the Bristol 27's pretty well and saw how much to took to beef one up to go offshore.

And the Bristol 27 bears very little resemblance to the Bristol 26 which was a Halsey Herreschoff design and a great little boat. If I had to chose between a Bristol 26 and a CD 25 to be used on the west coast of Florida, assuming reasonably similar condition, it would be a no brainer to pick the Bristol which should be a far better sailer in the prevailing conditions.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 07-24-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious as to whether the OP could clarify whether he was looking at a Cape Dory 25 or a Cape Dory 25D... which are very different boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2009

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to sailingmum
Jeff, I'm not sure which thread, but I thought you wrote that you thought less of the Bristol 29.9, rather than Bristol 30.. ??? could you expand on that or was I hallucinating..? thanks..
Old 07-24-2009
Daysailor wannabe cruiser

lans0012 is on a distinguished road
OP here looked at Bristol 26

Ok folks so far I have only seen the Bristol 26. I liked the boat and it was in ok condition with soft spots only in the aft deck above and around the motor well. The specs online show very different boats. For some reason I was thinking the CD 25 was like the Bristol 24 but they are very different, and the B26 is quite different that the B24 so I am really comparing apples to oranges here sorry to bring up this comparison but I'll update for posterity when I see the CD25(not CD25D for those who were asking.)

The Bristol had probably 5 10 headroom as I at 6' was slouching. The head is enclosed but I cannot realistically see myself in there with the door shut(not enough for the legs).

Seemed like a quality boat with a decent amount of room for an old 26 footer. The guy is willing to go to a very cheap undisclosed price do to his circumstances(age, health, etc.) Even though this boat is cheap and the rigging is new I'm still concerened enough about a couple of things(rudder shaft, head, etc ) not to bite on it right away. I'll wait till I see some other boats and then decide if what to do. I'll send an update after I see the CD25.
Old 09-09-2012

dlblandjr is on a distinguished road
Re: Bristol 26 vs Cape Dory 25

Weel good luck , there , I have a Bristol and they are well built, mine is a 1974 year and has no soft spots , no leaks, it is easy to sail , single handed, and can sail itself if you get the sails balanced pretty well , just lash the both jib sheets to the opposite side of the tiller with 1 (one turn around each cockpit side mounted winces and she sails herself pretty well, for a while anyway.
Old 09-09-2012

dlblandjr is on a distinguished road
Re: Bristol 26 vs Cape Dory 25

Hey, you know your boat is old , when. . .
the vessels spec sheet is in cubits. . .
and . . .
the documentation list Noah, Cleopatra, and Columbus as previous owners,
the radio set is 2 tin cans and a really really long string!
hahahah!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.