Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009

Borvaprops is on a distinguished road
seeking opinion

Hey guys, it's been a while since my last post. Seem to spend most of the time reading them and I have to say this is a great site!!
I'm looking to upgrade from my current boat Aloha 28. I have been with this boat for almost 4 years, have sailed and enjoy her very much. I have been living aboard her for the last 3 years. My girlfriend is ready to move in with me and my aloha is just not big enough. So I have been looking for something on the 34-36 range. I rather get something that is not in sail away condition that way I can upgrade the systems to my liking.
Wondering if anyone is willing to share their opinions on the following boats: Cabot 36, Southern cross 35, Tayana 37, Vancouver 36, Corbin 39.
Willing to spend the money for the "right" boat. Just trying to get opinions here on these particular boats.

Thanks everyone!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2009

rickysail is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borvaprops View Post
Hey guys, it's been a while since my last post. Seem to spend most of the time reading them and I have to say this is a great site!!
Hey Borvaprops, snap! This site has kept me very busy and is teaching me lots! I think it's fantastic you have been living on your own boat, many a mans dream. I can't help suggest boats to purchase but just wanted to say well done for living the dream
Old 07-24-2009

Soontobecruiser is on a distinguished road
I don't know much about the boats that you have asked about, but my husband and I are trying to sell an Islander 36 that needs some work.

It has a wider beam than most in the 36' at 12 feet. The stairs in and out of the cabin are dog friendly and people friendly because they are real steep. It has lots of headroom, I am 5'-9" and don't have to duck at all. It has a 6' draft and sails great in higher winds. When we found this boat we were looking for a boat that would be comfortable to take 6 people out for the day or 4 people out for the weekend or 2 of us on longer vacations. Before we bought it there was a family of 5 living on it, though I don't know how. They tend to be expensive on the west coast, they are a California boat. Mine is a 1972 and has a Yanmar diesel that works well. The work that it needs includes replacing the opening port lights, replacing portions of the headliner and rebedding the stanchions. We made new cushions for it a couple of years ago and replaced the non opening port lights. We are hoping to move up to a larger boat. It is located in Virginia. If you are interested send me a pm. Good luck on your hunt.
Old 07-24-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Cabot 36,
Good boats - a lot were sold as kits so finish is going to range from poor to excellent. The original resin used in the boats was quite water-permeable. Look for one that has been barrier-coated.
Quote:
Southern cross 35
Another great boat but with the added caution of a cored hull. I personally would never buy a second hand cored hull as I don't think it's possible to determine if the core is dry without spending many, many thousands scanning the hull. Others will differ (quite vociferously I am sure). Nice, rugged underbody for serious offshore work - will be heavy for the Great Lakes. Some of these were owner-finished as well. Survey carefully.
Quote:
Tayana 37
I would take this over the first two depending on how it surveyed.
Quote:
Vancouver 36
If this is one of the British-built ones then it's a serious contender. If not - be careful because I believe these were also sold as hull and deck kits. That's not a bad thing - just be aware of it.
Quote:
Corbin 39.
Very strongly built hull but again there is a core and almost all of these were owner-finished.

If all of the boats were in equal states of repair, I would probably take the Tayana first, the Vancouver next, then the Cabot, the Corbin and finally the Southern Cross.

Good Luck !