Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Seaworthiness and seakindliness have a lot more to do with the design of the boat and how it will handle heavy weather. The Catalina 30 was designed as a coastal cruiser and is relatively lightly built. Just adding a storm jib to it isn't going to really help much since it is sadly lacking in other areas.

For instance, the interior of the Catalina 30 is fairly spacious and has a lack of good handholds which are a necessity for moving about the cabin safely in heavy weather.

The Catalina 30 has a spade rudder versus a keel or skeg-hung rudder.

The Catalina 30 has no real bridgedeck to prevent downflooding if the boat should be pooped. The companionway is rather wide and the drop boards are tapered, meaning they can come out rather easily if the boat is knocked down.

Catalina 30 Mk II cockpit:

Cape Dory 30 Cockpit

And the list goes on...

You're really better off starting your own thread asking for recommendations after explaining what your purpose for the boat is. I'd also highly recommend you read the POST in my signature, as it'll help you get the most out of your time on Sailnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XINI View Post
Thanks for your answer. Could you be more specific on the seaworthyness? - I have only experience with a very stable full keel boat. Do you think having a good Storm Jib can keep the Catalina enough stable in the waves? Are there any other 'adjustments' to make her more seaworthy? Because I dont believe in always finding the right weather conditions - if your trip is long enough sooner or later it gets you... Are there any other advantages/disadvantages that you could share with me about these two boats, or recommendations?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-01-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
SD,

Is there anything in your guidelines about posting pics that are over 2000 pixels wide?
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 02-28-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
SD,

Is there anything in your guidelines about posting pics that are over 2000 pixels wide?
LOL... I was on a work computer, not my personal one, and didn't have the software installed to upload the re-sized image...Still at work... will upload and link to the re-sized image instead of using the one I linked to when I get home. BTW, it doesn't look too bad when you're using a 30" monitor like I am at the moment.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-28-2011
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
LOL... I was on a work computer, not my personal one, and didn't have the software installed to upload the re-sized image...Still at work... will upload and link to the re-sized image instead of using the one I linked to when I get home. BTW, it doesn't look too bad when you're using a 30" monitor like I am at the moment.
If you can afford to own a boat, you can afford a 30" monitor.

Old 02-28-2011

XINI is on a distinguished road
So, once question about the Cape Dory steering setup you showed (which seems to be standard). I really mislike the 'steering wheel' (sorry for my missing jargon), and would like to have a normal tiller. Also with the compass on top and the steering wheel it seems that you cannot steer the boat while sitting down but actually have to stand up. How much is it to replace that (on average)? And 2nd, so you cannot transform the outside area in to a bed right? (I have just cruised with a performance which had that and thought it is great)!!
Old 02-28-2011

gdrisk is on a distinguished road
It sounds like you are interested in quite a bit of off shore stuff. Have you thought about moving your size requirements up a bit? When I was searching for my first sailboat I was thinking small and manageable and I wound up with a CT-41 ketch! Glad I did because the comfort, stability, and safety of the larger, heavier, full keeled boat was the way to go. I know the dock fees increase by the foot but in the long run there are a lot of bargains out there and for the same price as the Cape Dory 30 you could get into a much more comfortable and seaworthy boat. Just a thought.
Old 02-28-2011

klem is on a distinguished road
XINI,

The Cape Dory 30 was actually offered with 3 different steering options. The one in the picture above is the Edson Pedestal option. If you want to see the compass or electronics with this setup, you really need to stand but you can steer sitting down otherwise. There was also a schooner style which utilizes a worm gear drive. This option is less responsive but very rugged and doesn't take up much cockpit space. They also offered a tiller option but not many were rigged that way.

It is certainly possible to convert from wheel to tiller on these boats. The top of the rudder post is easily accessible and all of the hardware exists to make the swap without custom fabrication.

If you are really interested in a Cape Dory, I would suggest looking at capedory.org as well since it is dedicated to these boats.
Old 02-28-2011

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post

What kind of computer doesn't have Microsoft Paint??!
Old 03-01-2011

XINI is on a distinguished road
Thank you, that is very useful information.
I definitely dont wanna have to stand up, so at least I need to remount the compass, e.g. aside the seacock, which I think is the best place to have.
How much do you think it would cost to replace the wheel with a tiller (approx.)?
Old 03-01-2011
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
What kind of computer doesn't have Microsoft Paint??!
It isn't the resizing of the photo that was the issue, but the posting of it to my website, because I don't have the SSH certificate I need for accessing my webserver on my client's computers...

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.