SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

what kind of boat is this?

6K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Faster 
#1 ·
does anyone know what kind of boat this is? She's my neighbor in Woods Hole and I've been curious for awhile.

[/URL][/IMG]

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
She's not big enough to be a 39. I think she's more like a 30 or maybe a 35 at the very most. She doesn't seem to be much bigger than my Triton and she's got a tiller. There's a Tartan 37 beside her and it looks much bigger than the boat in question.

I was just down on my boat the other day and it appears that another boat just like the one above is moored nearby. Crazy that two obscure (apparently Scandinavian) boats could be found in the same little NE harbor!

#10 ·
She's not big enough to be a 39. I think she's more like a 30 or maybe a 35 at the very most. She doesn't seem to be much bigger than my Triton and she's got a tiller. There's a Tartan 37 beside her and it looks much bigger than the boat in question.

I was just down on my boat the other day and it appears that another boat just like the one above is moored nearby. Crazy that two obscure (apparently Scandinavian) boats could be found in the same little NE harbor!
Maybe Sigma 36; I think this because she has the 'signature' instrument display hump just above the compagnion way. I also think to see running backstays (also a Sigma feature).

Looking at the number and size of cabin windows she does look like 40ft boat to me.

#16 ·
Not sure if a Baltic or a Swan, but they're not the same company. Baltic was started in early 70's by 5 employees of Nautor (Swan) who left to go on their own. At the end of 1977 Hollming Ltd, a large Finnish shipbuilder purchased Baltic. In 1991 Hollming wanted to sell and there was an employee buyout and they have been running Baltic since then. They are located in Bosund Finland. Nautor Swan was purchased by Italian Leonardo Ferragamo in 1998.
Brian

#18 ·
They're both based in Finland. German Frers is Nautor's most prolific designer, also Tripp, and Luca Brenta. Previously S&S and Ron Holland.
Baltic uses mostly an in house team for most styling, engineering and interiors, lines by Judel Vrolijk,Reichel & Pugh, Doug Peterson,German Frers, S&S and others. Neither currently builds smaller than 42 in Swan's case and 50 for Baltic except for custom. Below are a Swan 40 and a Baltic 38. I don't think it is either. Definately from Scandinavia though.
Brian

Attachments

#19 ·
They're both based in Finland. German Frers is Nautor's most prolific designer, also Tripp, and Luca Brenta. Previously S&S and Ron Holland.
Baltic uses mostly an in house team for most styling, engineering and interiors, lines by Judel Vrolijk,Reichel & Pugh, Doug Peterson,German Frers, S&S and others. Neither currently builds smaller than 42 in Swan's case and 50 for Baltic except for custom. Below are a Swan 40 and a Baltic 38. I don't think it is either. Definitely from Scandinavia though.
Brian

Attachments

#28 ·
Beautiful boats, both the OP's pic and the Linjetts, but I don't think they're the same either... none of the Linjetts have the distinctive sheer stripe detail, and the hatch arrangements don't match exactly.

I'll be interested to know just what this one turns out to be!! and to my eye it looks closer to 37/38, but that can be deceiving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.