Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010

lizardheadone is on a distinguished road
I am getting close to trying a fairly extensive repair on the fuel tank on my Rasmus. I posted above that it did have damage from an apparent grounding. I am documenting the rebuild on this boat and have pictures and drawings of the exact problem with my fuel tank if this will help anyone concerned. Again, I don't think this is a common problem, but the design of this boat lends itself to tank damage IF there is a very hard bounce on a very hard bottom. See the 2009 and 2010 Projects pages at lizardheadone.com for pictures and comments on this subject. I will post more pics and comments as I go through the repair.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2010

1Vagabundo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandsailor View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks for this thread, as I will be looking at a '74 Rasmus (35') this week, and so learning a little about the boat in advance is far better than knowing nothing. Any "heads up" you care to offer will be much appreciated. One thing I do wonder about is that it has a wood mast and boom which I assume are original. Also, it will need extensive engine work; a rebuild at least. My purpose in buying this boat or any other is to spend a year or more cruising the south Pacific and perhaps as far as Thailand from California. All things being equal, would a Rasmus 35' qualify for this type of voyaging?

Thanks for reading.

OS
To my knowledge the Rasmus would have been originally equiped with a high quality, annodized aluminum mast/boom by Selden. Not wood.
Old 08-18-2010

lizardheadone is on a distinguished road
Check this site for HR Rasmus rebuild. May contain info that is helpful.
lizardheadone.com
Old 11-26-2011

HenryMonsun is on a distinguished road
I have a 74 HR Monsun, and have not seen that problem. But the integral tank makes cleaning difficult. In an old tank like this it is not surprising to see lots of sediments (brownish muck). Access is really limited, and I would like to get to the bottom of this, literally. I found that this brown stuff easily dissolves in Acetone or methylene alcohol. But in order to really flush the tank I would like to put a proper inspection hatch. There is space for that under the engine shaft, maybe 3x5''. I would pull the shaft, empty the tank and put a proper hole in there and then machine a fitting lid with a good seal. From what I see here there are people who have gotten inside these integral tanks. What can I expect when I start sawing in this inspection hole?
Old 06-19-2012

celestialsailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus Fuel Tank Leakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandsailor View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks for this thread, as I will be looking at a '74 Rasmus (35') this week, and so learning a little about the boat in advance is far better than knowing nothing. Any "heads up" you care to offer will be much appreciated. One thing I do wonder about is that it has a wood mast and boom which I assume are original. Also, it will need extensive engine work; a rebuild at least. My purpose in buying this boat or any other is to spend a year or more cruising the south Pacific and perhaps as far as Thailand from California. All things being equal, would a Rasmus 35' qualify for this type of voyaging?

Thanks for reading.

OS
I believe this is the boat I boat a year back which was in Berkeley and ended up on the hard in Alameda. There were many things wrong with her but it is all sorted out now. The engine had been run once a week or so while in the water, then allowed to sit. The carbon from the short unloaded runs expanded on the cylinder head from ambient moisture, preventing the crank from going past top-dead-center. Still, I rebuilt it anyways.
Maybe you know some history of the boat. I'd like to know...
Old 10-08-2012

hgv50 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus Fuel Tank Leakage

I don't know about the Monsun, but on the Rasmus there's a tank cover which you can take off. Once out, it's a quick job to drill a hole in the cover and fit a large thru-hull with threaded cap, then replace. We did and there's a good 12V pump (with which you easily empty the tank - about 3 gallons a minute) that you can insert into the tank via the thru-hull; Rule IL500PK.