Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2002

cashoption is on a distinguished road
catalina 350 AC question

I bought Hull #41. The dealer is installing an AC unit. I have the option of 16,000 BTU''s w/air in the salon and the aft cabin or the salon and the v-berth. However, in order to cool the whole boat, I can have two smaller units of 10,000 and 5,000 BTU''s. If anyone has any insight to offer about the pros and cons of any of these 3 options, I''d appreciate it.
Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2002

Yodagwb is on a distinguished road
catalina 350 AC question

Just so I understand, it takes fewer BUT''s to cool a greater space???
Old 12-02-2002

tsenator is on a distinguished road
catalina 350 AC question

I don''t think he means that. I think he is suggesting that in the first 2 scenario''s he can''t easily route the ducting all the way forward or all the way aft. Thus he needs to put the ducts where he can and "blow" or circulate the cooler air in the areas where the output ducts couldn''t make it.

A more effecient method might be to have the two units cooling the 2 different areas (Say one in the aft cabin and a seperate one in the v-berth to cool the salon and the vberth). Advantage to this is better dispersion of cooling air, 2 zone cooling, and the ability to possibly run one of the smaller ones at anchor with a small (gas?) powered generator. Disadvantage is that now you have 2 units to worry about, with all the accompany hoses and thru-hull and complexities. Not to mention the increase in cost.

Personally, the added complexity and cost of 2 units for a 35 foot boat wouldn''t be worth it to me. I think one big unit will do an adequate job.

Tom
Old 12-02-2002

catalina 350 AC question

As far as the duct work is concerned, it is my understanding (having no clue if it is valid) that the 2003 have the spacing for the AC unit and duct work already allowed for, making for easy after market installation. The reason I say this is becaused I asked about AC factory installed as opposed to after market and this was the answer I got. The 2002 can''t be that different. Granted this could all be bull.
Old 12-03-2002

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road
catalina 350 AC question

The Duct work is in place on all Catalina 350''s. It makes no difference 2003 or 2002.. Same boat.

Old 12-06-2002

catalina 350 AC question

Bluesmood
Good to know the duct work is in. The dealer couldn''t tell me for sure if it was in or not, gave me the impression that Catalina was on the fence as to weather they were including duct work. I would assume that if it is in on the 2002 that the same will be true for the 2003. Still waiting to find out my hull#.
Old 12-06-2002

mogul11 is on a distinguished road
catalina 350 AC question

Fact: The duct work is NOT In the 350 at least the three I have have seen. The spacing is allowed for and the routing is relatively easy to access. Catalina cut back on this from the original spec''s as I understand from a dealer.