Sailing Dog and Mulit hull owners need advice buying blue water cat. - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-13-2009 Thread Starter

Sailing Dog and Mulit hull owners need advice buying blue water cat.

Hi there folks,iam looking to buy a muilti hull. I was hell bent on a mono hull up till 1 month ok, but the interior size and stability and draft is a winner for me.So iam looking to buy a used 40/42,i don't want a coastal cruiser Here is John Neals list of cats for blue water. Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction I tried to attach just the cat section but no go sorry its at the bottom of the page.My budget is around 200 to 220 so i will be looking at older cats.i wil be living aboard for many years with my girl in the Med and Caribbean and eventually circumnavigation Tahiti ect.The Catana 41/44 is a nice cat 1996/1988 the dagger boards are nice for heavy weather and speed.and the Fountaine pajot 40/42 are nice looking and cheap although they will be x charter??? iam not sure about blue water though.I know there will be a trade of as i will be living aboard and need space but still looking for a cat to be safe of shore.I haved worked on many boats and iam prepared to put it on the hard for a month or so and work on it, engines, top sides, rigging, rudders ect.Your input would be great as you folks have them and know the in's and out's,and the difference between coastal and of shore cats.
thanks. johnny
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-13-2009

Here's the list for all:
Attached Thumbnails
cat list.jpg  
post #3 of 14 Old 08-13-2009

Depends on where you want to buy the boat? This list isn't even the tip of the iceberg. Pun intended, because downunder are tons of cats that may appeal to you.

Imagine was built in Berlin, and I found her in St. Maarten. I at the time lived in S.F. Ca. She was only 3 years old, and within the month she was mine. So I started my cruising in the Caribbean...how sweet is that?.......i2f

20 MPH ain't fast unless, you do it in a 1000sq 3/2 house on 10foot waves
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-13-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Depends on where you want to buy the boat? This list isn't even the tip of the iceberg. Pun intended, because downunder are tons of cats that may appeal to you.

Imagine was built in Berlin, and I found her in St. Maarten. I at the time lived in S.F. Ca. She was only 3 years old, and within the month she was mine. So I started my cruising in the Caribbean...how sweet is that?.......i2f
Wait... you tellin' me that big red thing floats!?? HEHE!

- CD

Sailnet Moderator

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

post #5 of 14 Old 08-13-2009

Have you sailed a cat? If not, you may find that you are taking a large step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac View Post
Hi there folks,iam looking to buy a muilti hull. I was hell bent on a mono hull up till 1 month ok, but the interior size and stability and draft is a winner for me.So iam looking to buy a used 40/42,i don't want a coastal cruiser Here is John Neals list of cats for blue water. Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction I tried to attach just the cat section but no go sorry its at the bottom of the page.My budget is around 200 to 220 so i will be looking at older cats.i wil be living aboard for many years with my girl in the Med and Caribbean and eventually circumnavigation Tahiti ect.The Catana 41/44 is a nice cat 1996/1988 the dagger boards are nice for heavy weather and speed.and the Fountaine pajot 40/42 are nice looking and cheap although they will be x charter??? iam not sure about blue water though.I know there will be a trade of as i will be living aboard and need space but still looking for a cat to be safe of shore.I haved worked on many boats and iam prepared to put it on the hard for a month or so and work on it, engines, top sides, rigging, rudders ect.Your input would be great as you folks have them and know the in's and out's,and the difference between coastal and of shore cats.
thanks. johnny
I think a charter and some day sailing aboard cats would be your best first step. Some of it should be in rough water.

(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

post #6 of 14 Old 08-13-2009

CD,

Only when I am not aground, or on the hard!

pdq,

I went from a 30ft. mono to my 46ft cat. My only experience on a cat was taking a ride on S.F. Bay. IMHO I think if you already have good sailing skills making the jump is just common sense, and a little homework.....i2f

20 MPH ain't fast unless, you do it in a 1000sq 3/2 house on 10foot waves

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

post #7 of 14 Old 08-13-2009 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
I think a charter and some day sailing aboard cats would be your best first step. Some of it should be in rough water.
I haved sailed the cat years ago in rough water i know whats up.i want to buy one thats it.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-13-2009

Should not have said it was a "big step."

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac View Post
I haved sailed the cat years ago in rough water i know whats up.i want to buy one thats it.
That could be taken as an insult and I did not mean that at all. I meant they are different: different motion, different maneuvering, different use of space, and different in heavy weather. Just different, and some monohull sailors simply do not like them. I do.

No insult intended.

(when asked how he reached the starting holds on a difficult rock climbing problem that clearly favored taller climbers - he was perhaps 5'5")

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

post #9 of 14 Old 08-13-2009 Thread Starter

PDQ,
No insult taken, what your saying is right,although i know i want a cat/opposed to a mono hull.The PDQ is a fine cat but out of my price range.
cheer's johnny
post #10 of 14 Old 08-13-2009

Kanter's book, "Cruising Catamarans Communique" is a good resource for what's out there. I listened to Kanter's talk when he was out in Oakland, CA back in April for the Strictly Sail show and he spoke highly of the old Sailcraft catamarans (i.e. Commanche, Iroquois, Apache, etc...) for an inexpensive entry into catamarans.
The best thing to do is to go out and look at what's available in your area. You'll soon detect things you like and things you don't like about different catamarans, and differing build quality and finishing are also apparent to the discerning eye.
I think tank volume (water, gas or diesel, and holding) are important considerations for crossing oceans. That said, there are people crossing oceans on almost every sort of production catamaran.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.