1975 Maple Leaf 48" - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-22-2009 Thread Starter

1975 Maple Leaf 48"

Does anybody have any information or comments on a 48" Maple Leaf, 1975. m looking at one and am unfamiliar with the name. I am looking for a liveaboard and cruising vessel. Any information or comments are requested and appreciated.!!!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-22-2009
Tartan 27' owner

Not to sound like a nit picking swab but I am quite certain that you mean a 48' (as in 48 feet, not " inches) unless you are looking for a model sailboat.
Is this the boat you are interested in:
1975 Maple Leaf Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
made by Cooper Yachts of Canada (no longer making boats).
MAPLE LEAF 48 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com (units English)
If Cooper Yachts has any of the pedigree that Canadian Seacraft vessels have then I think you have something if it is well maintained.

I would wonder about the condition and hours on the engine of such a yacht from 1975 or if it has been re-powered since then. I would also hire good surveyors to thoroughly go over this baby but it seems like a nice live aboard platform if everything checks out.
For an asking price of $139K this boat maker has to have a good reputation but I am not familiar with them. I happen to like older built production boats myself so I commend you on your taste in boats even if my boat is about half the size of this yacht and even older (1967). I believe that sometime around the mid to late 70's they were beginning to discover how durable and strong fiberglass is so they could use less FRP/GRP and still get away with it.
The only comparison I can offer you is that I know someone who recently bought a less then 10 year old French built production boat (Bendytoe) from a Repo bank sale for slightly less then the asking price of your Maple Leaf.
Find surveyors who have never seen this boat before and are not associated with the seller or agent and negotiate the price with what you find out.
Good luck.
Welcome to sailnet.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-22-2009
Just another Moderator

Cooper built Mapleleaf boats from 42 to 68 feet in the 70s and 80s. By and large they are well regarded in the PNW, and many have traveled extensively offshore. The 42's original rudder design was flawed and modifications were required to improve downwind handling. Whether this was addressed on the other models or not, I'm not sure. They are large boats with comfortable accomodations.

You may also want to investigate Cooper's pilot house line, the Cooper 353, 416, and 508 from the same era. Very different boats than the MLs, but distinctive in their own right. US yachts manufactured a couple of models after buying the molds.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 08-22-2009 at 10:48 AM.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-22-2009

As I recall the Maple Leaf 48 has a cored hull so I'd definitely check for moisture or delamination.
Brian
post #5 of 10 Old 08-23-2009

We have a 42' and preparing for world cruise next year. The Mapleleaf is a solid and well built boat, comfortable, and sails great!
post #6 of 10 Old 08-26-2009 Thread Starter

Thank you all for the responses. We are beginning the search for a boat that will allow us to cruise as a family. We hope to able to set sail in 3 to 5 years. We have three children. Two sons, 13 and 7 and a daughter who is 4. We are hoping to find a boat and move aboard in our local marina until we are ready to leave. So we are looking for something that will work for both types of living. Any comments or recommendations are welcome.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-27-2009

To my uneducated eye, that is a good looking and comfotable boat.
Like others have said, '75 vintage will have to be carefully surveyed.
Who was the designer? Did I miss that somewhere in these posts?

Courtney is My Hero

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
post #8 of 10 Old 08-27-2009

Maple Leaf 48 was designed by Stan Huntingford.
Brian

Last edited by mitiempo; 08-27-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: error
post #9 of 10 Old 08-27-2009
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Maple Leaf 48 was designed by Stan Huntingford.
Brian
... who also designed, among others, the Cooper pilothouse series 316,353,416,508 and their trunk-cabins sisters the Banners... Slocum 43, Tayana 42 (both Valiant-esque double enders), the HTL 28, and, I believe, the sturdy little cruiser the Fortune 30... and his personal boat, the very pretty Stella Maris.

Also, the Maple Leaf series ranges from 42 to 68 feet.

Also, there's a SN member who bought a seasoned round-the-world veteran ML42 just a couple of years ago.. a search may turn up his username, I've forgotten it.. But I expect he'd be happy to fill you in via PM

Edit: found it: here's a link to his page http://www.sailnet.com/forums/members/eskfreedom.html

and to his thread: Maple Leaf 42'

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 08-27-2009 at 11:24 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-27-2009

A designer with a very favorable reputation if I am not mistaken.
Thanks for the info guys.

Courtney is My Hero

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.