SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Surveyor in Texas (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/57344-surveyor-texas.html)

Allanbc 08-23-2009 06:41 PM

Surveyor in Texas

We have restarted our search for our next boat. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good surveyor along the Texas coast?

sidmon 08-23-2009 08:15 PM

I had good luck with Drake Epple. He was very thorough and reasonably priced his services for my prepurchase survey.

I also had heard good things as well about Roy Newberry and Mike Firestone...

Allanbc 08-24-2009 11:49 AM

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else?

LWinters 08-24-2009 11:59 AM

Allanbc,

If you ask around with the dealers you'll find the most respected surveyor in Texas is Mike Firestone. I used him to purchase my boat as well and I can tell you the work was first class. He leaves nothing unchecked and is truly an expert. Insurance companies use him as an incident investigator when boats sink or are destroyed.

This email was valid 10/10/2006 so you may have to google him to get more current contact info. firestone.mike@gmail.com Best of luck,

Lee

Cruisingdad 08-24-2009 12:10 PM

I know Bobby Brown of Bluewater personally and would highly reccomend him. He did dad's boat and was/is heavily used by many very respected high-end builders, including Nordhavn.

His contact is: 214-522-3505

You may tell him I sent you to him.

Brian

Allanbc 08-24-2009 12:46 PM

Thanks guys.

Our search for our next boat continues but may be getting close to ending!

Mimsy 08-24-2009 04:16 PM

I highly highly recommend Paul Fannin. My husband is the worlds pickiest engineer ever and out of all the sample surveys we looked at, only Paul's were up to his specifications. Most surveys were merely a list of items on the boat, Paul was much more thorough.

Paul surveyed a few boats for us. My husband respects him so much that he is paying to have Paul oversee the refit when we can't be down at the boat. My husband is the reason Scot's have a reputation for being tightfisted. If he is willing to part with money, you know he is good!

Here is the complete review of Paul's work for us:
Singing the praises of a good surveyor | ceolmor on Xanga

sharedwatch 08-24-2009 09:15 PM

Mike Firestone or Roy Newberry.

Mike lives in Port Aransas and Newberry in Seabrook.

oday31 08-24-2009 11:05 PM

Roy Newberry did a survey for me a few weeks ago. It was about 6 to 7 hours with no AC in some really oppressive heat. He took his time and was very thorough, all the way to the top of the mast.

He was well recommended when I asked around. He will show you how anything on the boat works that you are unfamiliar with, show you all of his concerns about the boat and discuss any of yours. He emailed me a report the evening of the survey and he followed up with a call to discuss some further thoughts.

wookie 08-25-2009 02:11 AM

Don Patterson - Corpus Christi He did a dockside survey initially as i live in UK he sent 32 pics and a very comprehensive report all for 150 bucks. I then came over and had full survey inc sea trial haul out, bought the boat and couldnt be happier with his Honesty and helpfulness. He was reccomended by a freind who lives in New Orleans.
dpmarine@stx.rr.com