Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009
Colorado Sailor

MtnMike is on a distinguished road
IP 38 - JeffH foder!

Been shopping for a couple of years now. House is on the market, wife is retired and it's time to get serious now. At this point we've narrowed our choices down to Island Packet 38 or Caliber 38. Trying to keep it newer than "88" Why? Sailing grounds will be East Coast and Caribbean first two years and then to S. America, Panama Canal and beyond for next five years. Snorkeling and diving on regular basis. Extended stays at anchor/mooring (2-4 weeks) We don't mind cruzin, we're not racers. Budget is around $100,000 with $50,000 backup for system upgrades.
Things we like/want:
Full or modified full keel
Lots of stowage
Cutter rig
Swim platform , to be added
Solar and wind generation
Sm. genset backup
Two heads (at wifes insistence)
So........ does anyone have any suggestions for other boats that will fit my needs that I could consider with these requirements?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
2 heads on a 38 foot will be really really tight...its excessive, IMHO. Will come at the expense of other key features that are important like Nav Stations and cramped galleys/seating areas to make room.

I'll try and comment on the IP38 and tell you what we considered when I was in the used bluewater mode (I chose to go Coastal Cruiser myself). We got a lot of this feedback from people on these boards. First off, its a great vessel, but being 20 years now, they're all going to need various things like rigging, electronics, new fabrics (dated 80's decor) and some maybe even an engine rebuild or repower (~$20k). They're heavy boats that have some non-traditional features for "bluewater"...things like open seating in the cockpits with tons of leg room, weird nav stations that face aft and are part of the settee. Despite being cutter rigged and flying what seems like lots of sail, the mast is still only ~50-52 feet (great for West Coast of Florida ICW), so its slow...slow...slow because of the weight. 44 HP diesel for a 21,000 boat is bit underpowered in my opinion...and you'll be using this engine a lot because the winds needed to get this boat going are much more than a light airs boat. That being said, you'll be out there and stable when a lot of folks (like me) are hating life. $50k will go quickly if you have to do the engine and something else major.

Cant comment much on the Caliber, they were out of our price range at the time...they've seemed to have dropped into a similar range (slightly higher) now as the IP38...the brand has a good reputation.

Last edited by night0wl; 08-24-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey Mtn - I'll let JeffH handle the boat question - but your typo definitely cracked me up. I think you meant "fodder".

Look up "foder". Let's just say the have fun with it in Portugal. Heh-heh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-24-2009
Colorado Sailor

MtnMike is on a distinguished road
I guess spell check doesn't cover title line