Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010

Ed1 is on a distinguished road
Go ahead and buy it, so long as you intend to finish it. strip it, buy a compressor clean and clean sand and sand gelcoats not an issue use a heavy build primer,it will fill the crazing, sand some more and spray, lots of work there though, that 27 feet will start to look like 100 in no time,you will never get your money back out of it, but you'll Know your boat! more than you can say for most of the experts on this forum that particular boat will get you where you want to go ! but it wont be cheep
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
I see the guy has relisted it on CL, same ad, same spiel, so I'm guessing he knows what he's got and is just looking for someone to take the bait. The centerline split along the keel at stern looked like a concern to me.
Old 02-26-2010

theartmkr is on a distinguished road
Ditto: Don't walk, RUN away from this. GO find a nice older boat that just needs a few things that can be done in a few months, and I think you will be much happier......unless you are one of (us) the obsessed that gets far more pleasure from restoring a boat then sailing. Even then, it will always cost you 2-3 times more $ then you figure on paper, and double or triple the amount of time you think it will take you. I know from whence I speak.....
rebuilding sailboat - home
Old 02-26-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Even for those obsessed with restoring boats this Vega looks too far gone. You have to have something that doesn't need a total rebuild to start with other than just a pretty shape!
I looked at your blog - you do nice work. Nice look and the cabin sole looks very cool.
Old 03-12-2010

oldironnut is on a distinguished road
I too have looked at free or almost free boats. If you like to work on old boats I say go for it. That being said, I think a professional survey would the best and cheapest part of a restoration. A few observations that I have made: there are better products than bleach for getting rid of mold. Mostly what you get when using bleach is faded out mold-it's still there. There's a wealth of info on the net about this. I have also priced engines. Used can be anybody's guess as to price and reliability. New outboards for a boat this size:from several hundred to over $3000. New diesel engines 10 to 15hp. anywhere from $5000 up.(plus installation) From my point of view it looks like a big job(time and money). I was looking at a 27' Erickson that I could get for $1500 or less. The inboard engine was no good, but had an outboard. The hull didn't leak. The rigging needed some serious updating-probably ok for light air only. The sails were old but usable. It was in a slip that was about $180 a month-no trailor. Overall it was a usable boat that needed a lot of work. ------Or I could put $1500 down and make $180 payments a month on a new boat and go sailing tomorrow. And don't forget what the old farmer said, "Ya can't shine a cowpie."
Old 03-12-2010

claudius2u is on a distinguished road
Oh Boy! What a steal! Trouble is, whoever takes that "thing" is the victim!

One use would be to use it for a plan to build a like craft; carefully take it apart, measuring every item, and drafting a set of plans, but, hey, why not spend $200 and go get the plans for a similar vessel? Making plans from that old stink-pot would take ten years, on the low side!

HeHe!
Old 03-12-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I've often thought that if you could find a boat you liked with a good hull adding a deck in wood/epoxy would be an interesting project. It would end soft deck problems if done properly and if careful minor modifications to the original deck plan would be possible - smaller cockpit being one possible change. The problem is the aforementioned Vega doesn't even have a good hull.
Old 03-12-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
We need to kill this thread. It's like a siren for boatdreamers, and it's gonna lure some poor deluded fool onto the rocks.

If it's too far gone to tempt me, it is too far gone for any sane man. Let's all move along.
Old 03-13-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
Poor Odysseus, lashed to the mast. We fear for your soul lest the Sirens take it.

Other than that, how did all you sailors like the music?

And it's not "nearly free" - I see a number of other boats in better condition available for less costs and less hassle (this one is located in the back lot of a wooded hillside with a narrow winding driveway running downhill. I wouldn't go after it with less than a Ford F-350 with good brakes. Oh yes, and the vehicle is likely to come away with "cowboy pinstripes".

Last edited by tomwatt; 03-13-2010 at 08:31 AM.