Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2002

msl is on a distinguished road
Which would you choose?

Bristol 27, Tartan 27 or Pacific Dolphin 24?
Coastal and some inland waterways ...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Which would you choose?

In order, Tartan 27, Pacific Dolphin 24 and the Bristol way down there. I have always liked the Tartan 27''s. They have a nice workable interior layout. They offer good sailing performance under a wide range of conditions. Nice comfortable motion and the ability to slip into thin water in a tight corner of nowhere.

Another very similar boat is the Sailmaster 26. Both were S&S designed K/Cb MORC racer/cruisers in thier day.

The Pac Dolphin is just a smaller version of the same.

I have never especially been a fan of the Bristol 27''s although I have spend a lot of pleasant time sailing with a friend who owns one.

Of course, if you are only going to do coastal and inland waterway type sailing, a more modern design than all of the above would offer you greater range, better light air performance (less motoring), easier handling, more comfort and more up to date features. That said if you found a well maintained and upgraded Tartan 27 you would still have a very nice boat.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Which would you choose?

I''ll just add, because Jeff didn''t mention it, that I see a big difference in cruising compatability between the earlier Tartan 27 and the later model with the modified deck mold and interior. A friend has sailed his later model Tartan 27 to Europe from the U.S., enjoyed adventurous cruising on the Black Sea, sailed it on return thru-out the Caribbean and is now poised to leave Columbia for the Canal and the South Pacific. When seeing just about every inch of the boat a few months ago in Mexico, I was very impressed that he only needed to make one structural mod in all that sailing: a bracket to help hold/brace the forward bulkhead in place relative to the underside of the deck mold. Excepting illness or extreme bad luck, Russ will eventually circumnavigate his little Tartan and, from what I saw of how he''d set her up, she seemed eminently suitable for singlehanded or short-handed cruising.

Jack
Old 12-08-2002

Which would you choose?

Thank you both very much. These boats appeal to me very much. I am going to look at a Pac Dolphin 24 and as yet, have not found a specific T27 to go see.
Old 12-12-2002

Stan S is on a distinguished road
Which would you choose?

You may want to read Practical Sailors used boat reviews for other boats to consider and good analysis of what is good and bad about each boat. I think the T27 and B27 are both reviewed along with some other good choices to consider.
Old 12-13-2002

SloopSailor is on a distinguished road
Which would you choose?

I have to agree with Jeff H. The Tartan 27 is a nice boat. Decent build, good hull design. The Dolphin 24 is a lot less boat, but is built heavy to handle about anything. Britol boats were a mixed lot, some really well built, others not so great.
Old 12-13-2002

Which would you choose?

any comments about the Corvette?
Old 12-13-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Which would you choose?

I have always liked the C&C designed Corvette. These well rounded boats are one of my favorite designs from this era. They were nicely constructed using good materials. They offer nice performance all around (for that era) and a reasonably shallow draft. With a PHRF around 189 or so, these are pretty fast boats for their day and certainly thier draft. Of course, while they were faster than similar sized Pearson Vanguards, Columbia 31''s and Medalist 33''s of that era, they are not as fast as such next generation boats as the Pearson 30 or Tartan 30.

They have a very simple interior layout which might need some upgrading for longer distance cruising. If I were on a budget and shallow cruising were in my game plan, the Corvette would be high on my list. Of course these are 35 or so year old boats so care must be taken to find one in great shape.

Good luck,
Jeff