Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009

djherse is on a distinguished road
My first boat...Pearson 22?

Hello all and let me say thank you in advance to anyone who responds to my post. I recently completed a learn to sail course in Newport RI and I am hooked! I am now in the process of looking for my first boat so I can get back onto the water ASAP. All of my on water experience so far has been on a J/22. I am looking for a cheep forgiving beginners boat that will allow me to sail up and down Narragansett bay and when I feel experienced enough head on over to Block island or Marthas vineyard. Ideally I would also like to be able to spend a night or two on it as well. I will be the only one with sailing experience on the boat so it should be something I can handle with minimal help from my "crew"

This posting on craigslist has caught my eye

"The boat being sold is a 1968 Pearson 22 (Hull Number 107). She is a full keel (3.2' draft) sloop with a compliment of sails. The sail inventory includes a mainsail, storm jib, 130 genoa, and a spinnaker. All sails are in good condition. The spinnaker halyard was replaced last year and all other halyards are in good condition. I have included a link with more information about the Pearson below along with three pictures. I am asking $900 or best reasonable offer. Please note, the Pearson is being sold "as is where is" and without the outboard motor. If you have any additional questions, shoot me an email and I will respond. Thanks for looking."

I have been corresponding back and forth with the poster and he is able to let it go for 750$. Condition wise the owner stated "There is some crazing to the gelcoat on the upper deck. *There is also a softspot on the cabin top. *I have already replaced the keel bolts and installed new zincs. *The standing rigging and the running rigging are both in good condition. *I have also touched up the bootstripe. The interior is in good condition. *I replaced the battery selector switch last year. *The light fixtures seem to be a bit frozen (perhaps they could be loosened?). *There are no interior cushions. *There is a toilet which currently pumps directly overboard."

I would need to find a mooring for her as there is no trailer. Is it possible to get a mooring for the rest of this season? Not sure if now is the best time to buy or if I am better off waiting till the fall and sailing next spring?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey dj - welcome to SN dude! I can't give you any specific advice on that Pearson - but I can say you'll love this place - and you'll learn a hell of a lot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-26-2009

also have been corresponding with a guy about a MacGregor Venture 23...
Old 08-26-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
The Venture is a lake boat. The Pearson 22 is probably an Ensign, which has is not a cruiser, and would be like sailing a stone coming off a J22. If not an Ensign, 22 is still too small.

If you want to sail the islands, up your budget to $3-6000 and get a decent condition 25 footer (Cal, Catalina, C&C, for example). You will enjoy a nice sailing boat and be able to experience the cruising life. When oyu sell it, you'll get the money back. Plan to spend $1-2000 a year on maintenance and expenses, that's the way it goes.
Old 08-26-2009

The pearson is not an ensign here is a link to the brochure...

Pearson 22

how about a Catalina 22?
Old 08-26-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
The brochure presents a very cute boat, I've never seen one of these around...are youyu sure its the same model, as it has a fin drawing 3'5", not a full keel 3'2".

Assuming its the boat for sale, its a nice looking boat - if you would be willing to spend the night with a SO down below, go for it. Consider carefully the total cost, just replacement cushions, a holding tank and an engine will run you $2-3000. You might be surprised at what you can buy ready-to-go for $3-4000.
Old 08-26-2009

Can you tell me anything about an O'day 22 or catalina capri 22?
Old 08-26-2009
Sea Dweeb

RanAweigh is on a distinguished road
Here is another Pearson, a 26, in your neighborhood.Pearson 26'
Take A look and look around the marinas to see what is still ashore. You might find something you like at an affordable price. There are a lot of pretty good boats available but you may have to scout them out.
Old 08-26-2009

RanAweigh I saw that posting... Just not sure if 26' is going to be too much boat for me to handle....

O'Day 22
O'Day 22' Sailboat

Catalina Capri 22
CATALINA CAPRI 22,boat, trailer

Catalina 22
22 foot Catalina Sailboat with 8 HP Suzuki long shaft + custom trailer

any thoughts are greatly appreciated...
Old 08-26-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
dj - if I can handle a C27, YOU can handle a larger boat than 22'. Trust me. When I was looking for our current boat I almost bought a Pearson 26 like the one RanAweigh showed you. I love those things. But I have been very happy with the C27. Plenty of room for my family of 4 - easy to handle, fun to sail, and pretty dang tough.

I've never been a fan of the swing keels. But having a trailerable 22' would definitely lower your ownership costs. Those slip fees add up.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-26-2009 at 03:19 PM.