Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Just have a look at the National Liquidators web site. A recent Hunter 45 there asking circa 155k; compare that with the hopefuls on Yachtworld.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2009

gonesailin40 is on a distinguished road
The only boat I really pay attention to is the Fisher motorsailors (only boat the wife says she would go anywhere in), I have been staring at them for years and do not notice any real difference in asking price.
Old 08-28-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
there were 3 boats of sail for sale in avalon, catalina that were in excellent shape and equipped --the s2 35 footer went for 1200 dollars. yes, twelve hundred dollars. in good shape. the catalina 30 with electronix went for 3000 dollars. she was also in excellent shape. there was another absurdly low one also. these goood deals are not found in yacht brokers --they are found individually sold. the yacht broker needs his fee and will not lower below a set price --his commission is dependent upon bottom line. the lowest commission the yacht broker will accept is 3000 dollars--and that is for anything less than a boat that will sell for his ten percent commission. so if your boat is 15000 dollars or 30k, the commission for the broker is 3000 dollars. these deals boats are not in any brokers list---you have to actively search for these on foot in person and have cash in hand. goood luck. oh yes--there was a westsail 32 with rebuild on engine--worked great--sold for 7000 dollars. that was in ft myers fla.....theswe are no tisolated deals--this is happening all over--many folkls cannot afford the broker, so they sell by self for cheep. i got my formosa 41 for 10000 dollars.

Last edited by zeehag; 08-28-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: boatkat isunt a gud speeleer or typoer
Old 08-28-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
theswe are no tisolated deals--this is happening all over--many folkls cannot afford the broker, so they sell by self for cheep. i got my formosa 41 for 10000 dollars.
I'm trying to figure out how this happens.
Owner needs to sell boat.
Broker will not sell below the minimum he things it is worth
Owner waits a year or two with no nibbles with broker
Owner sells on own.

Do you think that is the normal progression?

I agree that the brokers seem to be a stabilizing influence and will sometimes not even relay an offer they feel is too low.

Maybe another path is that the boat is worth maybe 15,000 but needs some work worth maybe 2,000 that unless done makes it show poorly.
The broker will only sell for 11,000 but the owner does not have the money to put up front and will sell for 9,000.

The point I'm making is that something is going on because the 10% the broker makes does not go to the seller on a fsbo.

Last edited by davidpm; 08-28-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Just have a look at the National Liquidators web site. A recent Hunter 45 there asking circa 155k; compare that with the hopefuls on Yachtworld.

I just found these two
http://www.yachtauctions.com/listing.php?vessel=2833
http://www.yachtauctions.com/listing.php?vessel=3672
No deal at all. Just about list price.
Old 08-28-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I'm trying to figure out how this happens.
Owner needs to sell boat.
Broker will not sell below the minimum he things it is worth
Owner waits a year or two with no nibbles with broker
Owner sells on own.

Do you think that is the normal progression?

I agree that the brokers seem to be a stabilizing influence and will sometimes not even relay an offer they feel is too low.

Maybe another path is that the boat is worth maybe 15,000 but needs some work worth maybe 2,000 that unless done makes it show poorly.
The broker will only sell for 11,000 but the owner does not have the money to put up front and will sell for 9,000.

The point I'm making is that something is going on because the 10% the broker makes does not go to the seller on a fsbo.
this seems to be the deal , yes. i have been selling a boat for 3 yrs--worthy of 30k i cannot even get an offer of 10k on--i will not sell her for that low--i am not in a hurry--i can wait out the market failure--i am lucky--there are many who are not so fortunate and have to leave their boats in the marina for the marina to sell or who get tired of having the broker be an arse and go out on own or sell thru a friend or word of mouth. i got my formosa for 1ok...i am fortunate--she does need work, but all boats do ---even allegedly perfect ones. waaaay before the market failed, back in 1993, i was offered a columbia 50 for a total of 50k---they were selling for 120k then--LOL--i wouldnt even buy it for 50k-----could have been a mistake --but i doubt it--donot know--will never know---these deals come up if you walk the marinas and talk with folks -- not just look online or surf the web or seek thru brokers. there are many ways to find goood deals for hardly any money--but you have to have cash in hand and be willing to take boat away now.......which means you have to have a place to stash the boat immediately where there is a 2-10 yr waiting list......oh yes--the broker who is supposed to be showing my boat i have for sale hasnt called me one time in 8 months---do ye think he wants to sell my boat??? nnnnnaaaawwwww.....not hardly...LOL---good thing i donot have to sell to stay alive LOL.....or good deals--look on craigs list or ebay...there are very inexpensive big boats there--depends on the day you look---it varies.. the yacht brokers are no ta good test of this market---the cheep lists are better tests. or walk the marinas and see what they have repo'd for lack of slip fee payments
Old 08-28-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I don't even think the Catalina is worth half that, look at the main, sitting there half uncovered, it's junk! I'll give them $6000 for that boat.
Old 08-28-2009

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
They also sold a 1983 or 4 37' Tayana in Ft. Lauderdale that didn't look too bad for less than $25k. It didn't look too bad...no abuse showing but not much cosmetic care either.
Old 08-29-2009
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
You have to watch the YachtAuction site, most of these boats are owned by banks and if they do not get offers the price comes down pretty quickly.

I don't rmember the exact figures but a 80s 44 ft Chinese takeaway was originally listed at about 110k then dropped to something in the 70s in 10 k steps. Gone now. Hope the buyer noticed the spongy foredeck.
Old 08-29-2009

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road
Craigslist is the place to find cheap boats. Because it does not cost anything to place an ad, the sellers of low cost boats are more likely to go there. The readership is huge and nationwide, and yet you can search locally. I can regularly find C30s from 10-12K and C27s from 3-5k. It applies to powerboats, too. Things that were selling for 18-20k a year ago are 10-12k now. A big consideration here in SoCal is that it costs so much just to park the boat. There are boats literally given away for free just to get the owner out from under the slip payment. Someone here holding out for 3 years to get the price he wants for a 30 footer would have spent 18k in slip rental alone. Sellers know that, especially on the lower priced boats, getting rid of it quickly is more important than quibbling over a few, or even several, hundred dollars.

Last edited by jgeissinger; 08-29-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: spelling