Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009

stuartsw is on a distinguished road
Question Jeanneau SO 36i or 37 vs. Hunter 36

Debating two boat purchases, based on design and performance. Both are late model or new boats. Will be used for coastal cruising, short stretches of blue water. (Puget Sound and higher latitudes) Have two young families and 4 young grandchildren in the area, and would want them to join us 30-40% of the time. (Taught daughters to sail, but sons-in-law are non-sailors). Need to be able to easily take her out for afternoon sails after work.
My main concern is performance and value retention. I'm not going to race, but I do want upwind performance in light to moderates. And I see us owning this boat 3-5 years.
I'm about to do some demo sails on the boats. have heard a lot about Hunters and willing to hear more, who has experience with the Jeanneaus?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey stuart - welcome to SN, dude.

Knowing the very little I know I'd spring for the Jenneau. I'm pretty sure Blt2ski sails/races a Jenneau. Maybe he'll come along and give you some feedback.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-28-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2009
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
I can speak about the Hunter 36 since I own a 2006 model. Here is the link to my write up when I bought the boat 18 months ago: Hunter 36 Pros and Cons?

I think from what you said this is a good boat for you. #1 is you can single hand this boat very easily. I do 98% of the time. With the kids and non-sailors this is important. The boat points up to 20 degrees into the wind. I have pinched up to 15. She handles winds over 20 knots nicely with 1/2 the main out and 3/4 of the jib. All controllable. I get about 60-75% of the wind speed for boat speed. Normal cruising speed is 6.4 knots, the sweet spot 60-120 degrees she gets to hull speed of 7.4 over 12 knots of wind. Not a racer but respectable. With the Asymmetrical over 7 knots is the norm. I think this sail is mandatory going downwind since this boat doesn't go downwind well (130-180 degrees) with normal sail plan. I have an ATN sock which makes using this sail a snap. I do this myself. In under 11 knots I can point up to 70 degrees of the wind with this sail.
The cockpit is large enough for 8 adults to sit comfortable. With kids there is lots of room to run about and can jackline them in using the top table bar.
I love the interior except the refrigeration unit. With non sailors and guest the electric toilet is a nice touch and easy to show them how to use the head. The storage is amazing on this boat, enough to store all the kids toys and cloths plus your own. If you have any questions email me.
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 08-29-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-29-2009

CGMojo is on a distinguished road
Both Are Good

Lived aboard a 2007 Jeanneau 36i for the last two years. The Jeanneau will probably have a lower PHRF rating than the Hunter (mine's 117) meaning that it should be faster. I think you'll find the "fit and finish" and attention to detail better on the Jeanneau. The 36i has a nice head with stall shower. Due to modular construction, the galley on the 36i is the same as the 39i.

Not sure about parts sourcing on the Hunter, but the Jeanneau is a Euro boat--Swedish bilge pump, Italian hoses, great British (Lewmar) hatches, etc. It's all good gear, but as things need replacing (just the bilge pumps so far) I'm getting US-made equivalents. The engine is Yanmar and it's bulletproof. All the deck hardware is Harken (US) and well thought out. I single hand with no problem. The Jeanneau is more of a traditional rig with a 130% genoa, so you'll probably fly a bigger asym spinnaker than the Hunter will hoist. I use an ATN sock which makes flying the asym easier.

Bottom line: Both are good boats that will work for you. Sail them both with your wife (and maybe even daughers) along and see what feels best.

P.S.---If you're looking at new boat and have the resources, I highly recommend you look at the Jeanneau 36i Performance. Deeper keel, taller rig, faster boat.
Old 08-30-2009

Thanks to both of you. I'll sail both this week (with my wife) and let you know how it goes. (Not great air in the forecast, so we'll see....)
Old 08-30-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I'll assume you are looking at MSC in seattle? The dealer in Vancouver has a 36iP, seattle a std 36i. Not sure if they have sold a P version or not. THe 36 will be faster than the SO37. If you can spring it, seattle had a 39I for 5-6G more than a 36, a bit more interior room.

I am sure either of the three boats will work for around here just fine. BUT< as you can see the forecast, anytime you can get a tall or higher SA rig on the same hull, do so! OR< talk to Jeff at MSC, and have a drifter jib made for the less than 7 knot days around here. THe one made for my 30'r works really well!

By the way, there is no blue water around here unless you do a circumnave of Vancouver Island, or go north to Alaska. And reality is, even if you did a circumnav of Visland, you would not have any issues in the summer. I would do this in my 30'r, folks have done it in Kayaks, along with mid 20' boats.

Marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 08-30-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You might this forum and web site(s) too.
jeanneau owners network - Home
http://jeanneau.tripod.com/
Old 08-30-2009
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Because the Hunter has the Bergström and Ridder designed rig, I would go for the Jeanneau for pure sailing - Have to admit that the Hunter-Legends, as we know them in EU-land, has some nice features, but the B&R rig is just not my cup of tea. Both are nice boats - better than their reputation - me thinks.
Old 09-06-2009

So, could not go out on the SO 37, but sailed an SO 39i. Too much boat for us at this point, but liked the way she sailed.
The Jeanneau hit a good groove and pointed well, but we would have to wait for a sea trial on the 37 we're checking out. (There are 3 for sale in the area at this point..)
Melrna, have you had any probs with the head? I've been reading a lot of Hunter owner posts about two things: The head, and the batteries configuration.
Old 09-09-2009

CGMojo is on a distinguished road
39i

I also looked at used Jeanneau 39i before buying a new 36i. If you look closely the head and galley on the 36i are exactly the same size as the 39i. I bought new because it was a screeming pre-boat show deal and easier to finance. I recommend you sail a 36i before making your decision.