Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
new/newish under 30' bluewater cruiser

It seems like a typical posting on sailnet goes something to effect "i want a cheap, well built boat under 30 foot to do some bluewater cruising." What boat should I buy? The typical response is your Cape Dory's, Albin Vega's etc. (then the posts that follow usually explain why you shouldnt try to do this) Anyway most of these boats have been out of production for quite some time. My question is, does anyone still build an under 30' bluewater boat. I know the trend is bigger is better and the margins on small boats really dont make it worthwhile to build one.

If no one is building one has anyone tried recently. This could include restarting production on an old model or starting from scratch.

I am not looking to buy one, or get into the business of building such a craft. I am just curious if anyone is still in this market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Yes.

There are several still in production.

Off the top of my head, I'd mention the Bristol Channel Cutter (28'), the Falmouth Channel Cutter (22'), both offered by Cape George MArine.

Before Pacific Seacraft went bankrupt, they sold off their Dana 24 model to Seacraft Yachts, who are building it in Washington State. So a Dana 24 can still be bought new.

Slightly over your length stipulation: Pacific Seacraft (which is in business again) builds a Crealock 31 (30.5' LOD) and Cape George offers a 31' Atkin design (the CG 31).

I'm sure there are others... but you're right, they've become much less commonplace, as they were in 70's and 80's. That is partly due to the economics of selling relatively small but comparatively expensive boats, as well as changing consumer expectations, not to mention the recognition that -- all else equal -- one of the very easiest ways to improve seaworthiness is to simply make the boat larger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-29-2009

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
Interesting question, hopefully someone will have some good input about what boats of this type are still/currently in production.

Pacific Seacraft is still building its 31, which is certainly bluewater built but doesn't quite slot into that under-30 size range.

Edit: John beat me to it on the PSC. Cool that Seacraft is building the Dana. I think Pacific Seacraft has the molds for the Orion 27 and maybe even the Flicka, but from what I understand the molds need some work, plus it's just simply difficult to build a boat profitably in that segment of the market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.

Last edited by SecondWindNC; 08-29-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
There are probably a handful of under 30' offshore boats still available. One of the first to come to mind is the Norsea 27. Nor'Sea Yachts builders of the Nor'sea27, 37 and Montgomery 15 and 17 Many have cruised offshore and at least one has circumnavigated. Of course the downside is price - their web site quotes 148,000 + for a complete boat and you'd want to add a bunch to that before heading offshore.
Brian
Old 08-29-2009

I noticed that the prices on the boats mentioned were exceptionally high. On a per foot basis i can see why this isnt a very big market. The only used bristol that I could find that is fairly new was for arounnd a 150,000 and that boat had sailed to Australia and back. I would assume at best it would be in a well used conditions. Makes me wonder how much they cost new.
Old 08-29-2009

Bristol Yachts closed in 1997 due to bankruptcy, so newer ones do not exist.
Brian
Old 08-29-2009

Or do you mean the Bristol Channel Cutter which was built by Sam Morse?
They are available new I believe as the molds were purchased by Cape George Yachts in Washington State. Yachtworld lists 3, one unfinished (1997) at 59,000, one 1998 at 175,000, and one 1995 at 209,000.
Brian
Old 08-29-2009

Sorry i was refering to the Cape George yachts that JohnPollard mentioned. I should have said Bristol Channel Cutter 28 instead of just Bristol.
Old 08-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Or do you mean the Bristol Channel Cutter which was built by Sam Morse?
They are available new I believe as the molds were purchased by Cape George Yachts in Washington State. Yachtworld lists 3, one unfinished (1997) at 59,000, one 1998 at 175,000, and one 1995 at 209,000.
Brian
Your search was more successful than mine. I must have mistyped something in the yachtworld search.
Old 08-29-2009

Most 30' and under sailboats currently produced are not that suitable for other than occasional short offshore runs in good weather - with some exceptions as mentioned above. As you can see from the prices of the few new boats that are suitable it can make a lot of sense to purchase a boat 20, 30, or more years old for under say 20,000 and fix what needs it, add equipment needed for offshore and save a thousands over anything new, whether it is suitable or not. Just because a company is gone doesn't mean that their boats were not a good choice. As well an older fibreglass sailboat can still last decades with good maintenance. In most cases it's the engine, deck equipment, electronics, sails and wiring that have deteriorated and need replacement. I'm not going to begin a debate over which one to buy as that has been done many times before (as recently as yesterday on this site I believe), but there is a wide choice of suitable choices available at reasonable prices.
Here's a link to James Baldwin's site listing what he suggests as good choices for offshore sailing. His entire site is well worth a good look.
Atom Voyages | Voyages Aboard the Sailboat Atom -* Good Old Boats List - choosing a* small voyaging sailboat
Brian

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.