Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009

scove is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have experience or information on Martin 32's?

All google was able to help me find was this:

MARTIN 32 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com (units English)

Does anyone have any practical experience on one of these or know of any reported build/maintenance issues?

thx.

-sc

BLog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beneteau 411
Somewhere in the Caribbean with 3 kids in tow
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The Martin 32 is a fairly quick, but tender, narrow boat. Locally built in Richmond by Martin Yachts (builders, in the 70s/80s of Martin 29, Martin 242, Martin 32, Martin 32 lobsterboat, and a series of Peterson 35s under licence.)

I'd say build quality is average, certainly not blue water heavy duty. The narrow beam makes for a good upwind boat, but they are tender and a bit skittish downwind with the spinnaker in a blow. Clean lines, no IOR bumps or anything like that.

The interior is straightforward, more or less standard with less room than today's beamier boats obviously. My major beef with the interior setup is that for some reason they built the settees very low - when you sit there your knees seem up around your ears - not sure why, the boat's got plenty of headroom. A friend with one raised the settee and created more storage that way.

They are a decent looking boat, most with a distinctive broad stripe along the cabin house to reduce its visible height. Decent cockpit too. I think they built about a dozen or so.

They'd make decent BC coastal cruisers, esp for a family but you'll probably need a good reefing setup in the shoulder seasons. We owned a M242 for 15 years and despite some of our best efforts, never really broke it... I've done a windy Swiftsure on a M32 - a bit wet in those conditions upwind, and had one memorable wipeout at Race Rocks... the usual stuff.

I'm sure you've seen this, two clean looking examples available locally now.... pretty good bang for the buck.

martin (Sail) Boats For Sale

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 09-01-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-01-2009

scove is on a distinguished road
We were not really looking to upgrade but the one in HSB caught my eye as a possible small, affordable step up (looks faster than our C27) and is in a much better location for us (assumable moorage). We're sure getting tired of the long hike out from DC any time we want to go anyplace other than up the arm.

I see your point about reefing early. I noticed that it's a fair bit taller than our current boat and a bunch more sail area. The extra 2' of draft is something that we'd need to be careful about too.

Thanks again!

-sc

BLog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beneteau 411
Somewhere in the Caribbean with 3 kids in tow
Old 06-05-2010

Saracen2 is on a distinguished road
Martin 32's

Don Martin made 30 of the 32's around 1979 - 1981 I think. I currently have 1 of them and it was built in 1980.
The first issue I had to deal with was the cockpit floor. The balsa core acted like a sponge for diesel fuel. It's wasn't a good idea to put the fuel filler in the middle of a flexible floor sealing it with silicon. I since moved the filler cap to under the rear bench seat in the cockpit. Protected from weather it's fine now. Lots of the balsa core in certain areas of 6the cabin top still need to be repaired from bow to stern. The hull itself is not balsa cored & I haven't had any issues that I can recall. I did raise the cabin seating which created much appreciated extra storage. Replaced the windows. The Volvo MD7A with the 110 saildrive is a great combination.

If you want any more info or photos let me know saracen2 at gmail dot com

Stew
Old 10-10-2011

Walker Hooker is on a distinguished road
Hi - a bit late!

I have a 32, however it was not completed by Martin Yachts but was completed from a hull. As such it is somewhat different from the standard and the accomodation is better, or at least it suits me and does not suffer from some the problems noted in this blog. It is fast for its size perhaps due to its generous sail area. Being a narrowish boat it pays to reef down early before the gunwale is in the water. It goes very well with its #3 and a full main It was a very sucessful racing boat and it is a good cruising boat for a couple and a child. With a 23 hp diesel it motors at seven knots in flat water at 1500 rpm burning a little more than a litre an hour.

It is not a blue water boat, displacing 8,000 lbs, there is not a great deal of stowage but it is quite adequate for cruising in BC waters

I have heard it said that 32's are a little cranky (probably carrying to much sail is the foundation for this), but we find her beautifully balanced. My wife enjoys helming her what more can you say!