Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009

Schuyler is on a distinguished road
Possible First Boat - 70s Oday 22

Okay, so I've been boat shopping. This one wasn't at the top of my list of desired boats, but the owner is a friend who has to get rid of it quick and dropped the price to a third of the asking ($1,500). Seeing as how I'm new to sailing and boat owner ship, I'd like see what you guys thought. It's a bit of a fixer-up, but I'm prepared and actually looking forward to spending time getting her spiffed up.

1971 O-day 22' includes some worn sails and trailer. I'm told the Bottom Paint is somewhat new. The lines are old, but look usable. The boat itself looks like it's been sitting un-touched on the trailer for awhile. Tires are low/flat. The deck really needs paint. There are a few voids on the transom.. and probably 30 other small things need fixing

There is standing water in the cabin. Not a lot, and it appears to be entering through the companionway hatch that isn't very secure. Should be a simple fix (or tarp it)

I noticed this void where the trailer attaches. I assume it's not serious?

Last edited by Schuyler; 09-09-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Is the price $1500, or 1/3 of $1500 ??

That boat looks suspiciously familiar to the one described in this recent thread:

Apples to Oranges

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-09-2009

Yup.... appears to be the same boat. The price was negotiated to $1,500.
Old 09-09-2009
Banned

lporcano is on a distinguished road
seeya

Last edited by lporcano; 03-23-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-09-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler View Post
Yup.... appears to be the same boat. The price was negotiated to $1,500.
Based on the description of its condition that MikeAR and now you provided, that seems steep, to me. Others may feel differently.

Like I said in the other thread, more than a dozen years ago someone gave a similar vintage OD22 with working outboard to my brother for FREE. It was in much better condition, but no trailer. They were done with it and wanted it moved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 09-09-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2009

MikeAR is on a distinguished road
I looked at that boat recently and felt it was way over-priced at the asking price of $2500.
I saw many problems that needed repair immediately. Much would need to be done before it could get back into the water.
It's the same boat mentioned in my earlier post.

John, I was told by the owner that she had owned it 6 years, sailed it 2 and it had sat outdoors in present condition at least 18 months. She also described the bottom as "recently redone."
There's water entering in more than just the cabin hatch - of course being tongue down exacerbates that.

Schuyler, we're still looking, too. Are you in Arkansas, too?

Last edited by MikeAR; 09-09-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2009

Oh, there is just about no doubt it is the same boat. There are usually no more than 5 sailboats in the classifieds at any given time here in Arkansas.

My goal is to go sailing, but focused on the Atlantic. I'm finishing up school here and plan to buy a larger boat and hit the Carib after graduation. I'm crewing on some racing boats for experience, and while I need sailing experience, I'm sure I could benefit from maintenance projects as well. However, if it looks like it will be all maintenace and no sailing then I see no point in purchasing it. Just thought I'd run it by SailNet first. Thanks for everyone's input.

Oh, and I was told that it was only sailed twice... not for two years.

Last edited by Schuyler; 09-09-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2009

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
John , look beyond your borders. a short (or long) drive cna net you a good working boat for the right price. I sold my 22 chrysler to a couple in north carolina they drove up to michigan took a look decided it was as I described & bought it. so check yacht world, boat trader & texas sailing , you should be able to find something better.
Old 09-09-2009
Banned

lporcano is on a distinguished road
seeya

Last edited by lporcano; 03-23-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-12-2010

comet4141 is on a distinguished road
I know this thread is a bit old, but i recently found out that an early 1970's Oday 22' is for sale in Rogers, AR. I am looking to buy my first boat and i am going to inspect the boat this weekend. I came across this post but it seems the pictures by the OP are no longer visible. I am wondering if the boat im going to look at is the same boat in this post.

The current owner doesnt know the year and has recently been painted and the teak redone. Also said he "took out the head in the cabin for more room"

So, any idea if this is the same boat?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.