Contest 33 - Page 3 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 09-10-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chalfont, Pa
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5
gbm4th is on a distinguished road
Robert, I will visit White Rocks Marina this weekend and look at the boat, not sure which day though. It's only a 20 minutes from where my boat is; but that is 2.5 hours from where I live. Anything specific you want me to look for; I will bring my digital camera and take pictures for you.

As long as the buyer knows your interested, he should be able to extend the 2nd chance offer for you.

PS Check out YachtWorld on the web. Some sellers will accept 20-30% of listed price and you might find something closer to home.

george
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #22  
Old 09-10-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 418
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
I was going to bid on that boat myself but the draft is just a little to much for my intended cruising area. Well, too, it's a little more 'shout' of a boat than I really need.

It may be that those separations in the survey can wait until you get the boat home...you'll have to make that determination when you inspect the boat. I would have a surveyor look at it for some verification anyway.

The rudder crack would concern me. If there's a crack, there is access for water intrusion that may weaken the rudder stock or attached structural webbing. Some 'test' pilot holes would verify if the rudder is saturated. Here's where that surveyor would come in handy as well. A good survey would also give you a 'heads up' on items you may want to fix prior to departure and those items that could wait 'til later.

That boat sure has a sweet sheer...good luck on the decision, sounds like a deal...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #23  
Old 09-10-2009
krozet's Avatar
Waiting For Spring
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 424
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm4th View Post
Robert, I will visit White Rocks Marina this weekend and look at the boat, not sure which day though. It's only a 20 minutes from where my boat is; but that is 2.5 hours from where I live. Anything specific you want me to look for; I will bring my digital camera and take pictures for you.

As long as the buyer knows your interested, he should be able to extend the 2nd chance offer for you.

PS Check out YachtWorld on the web. Some sellers will accept 20-30% of listed price and you might find something closer to home.

george
That is incredibly generous of you, thank you for taking some time to take a look at the boat for me. As to what too look for, this is my first boat... If you wouldn't mind taking a look at the rudder, the survey says there is a lot of play in it but the seller says it has been fixed. Plus the crack, the seller says that it is cosmetic only and not an issue right now. The only other thing is just how much of an issue the separations are if you can get below deck. Pictures? A couple below deck and a couple of the whole boat would be very much appreciated.

I have been doing some digging on Yachtworld. Truth is that I never expected to be trying to decide on buying a boat this year, I planned on buying next year. This boat just seemed to all of a sudden be available at a great price. Local boats here seem to hold quite a bit of value and people are hard pressed to let them go below asking price. I don't blame them, with the short cruising season on the lakes and fresh water boats up here are usually in very good condition.

Thanks again;

Robert
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #24  
Old 09-10-2009
krozet's Avatar
Waiting For Spring
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 424
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullkeel7 View Post
I was going to bid on that boat myself but the draft is just a little to much for my intended cruising area. Well, too, it's a little more 'shout' of a boat than I really need.

It may be that those separations in the survey can wait until you get the boat home...you'll have to make that determination when you inspect the boat. I would have a surveyor look at it for some verification anyway.

The rudder crack would concern me. If there's a crack, there is access for water intrusion that may weaken the rudder stock or attached structural webbing. Some 'test' pilot holes would verify if the rudder is saturated. Here's where that surveyor would come in handy as well. A good survey would also give you a 'heads up' on items you may want to fix prior to departure and those items that could wait 'til later.

That boat sure has a sweet sheer...good luck on the decision, sounds like a deal...
Here is where I am getting iffy, I know the value of a survey when looking for potential problems. My issue is that I am looking at paying $1,000 for a survey on a $5,600 boat. If I was buying a $40,000 boat I would see the value. As it is now it just seems excessive. The point of the survey is to find things that are wrong and negotiate with the seller to find a happy medium. Don't get me wrong, I would fully intend to have someone go over the boat to help find the issues and get them fixed but that can wait till spring.

If I buy the boat I will have two options, one is to leave it where it is and pay storage fees till spring. The second option will be to sail it back to Canada and immediately have it hauled and stored for the winter.

I just called a friend, one of her co-workers husband is a marine surveyor. It will cost $450 to have it surveyed in Canada.

Last edited by krozet; 09-10-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Canadian survey price.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #25  
Old 09-10-2009
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,037
Thanks: 3
Thanked 49 Times in 44 Posts
Rep Power: 9
killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Erie Canal is not a big problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by krozet View Post
I checked into this option, I cant make it... With the mast up the boat is 44' from deck to top, taller from the waterline. The New York State Canal website lists quite a few fixed bridges of 14' The depth is good and it would definitaly be a nice trip. Would de-masting the boat be an option if the engine is strong? It would be a pain in the butt to get it reset to sail across lake Ontario just to haul her out for the season. Would motor sailing across the lake be a bad idea if the weather is clear?
It is routine for sailboats to use the Erie Canal. Coming northbound you can keep your mast up until almost Albany, NY. There are marinas that will take your mast down for you for ~$150 and one boat club, Castleton where you can do yourself for about $50. You put your mast on wooden supports for the journey.

The canal itself is 30 locks and a variety of river and canal sections with one lake that is close to 30 miles long (and not to be taken lightly -- it can get quite choppy). You probably want to have three people on board for the canal - could do it with two who really know their stuff, but it will be new to you.

To get to Lake Ontario you take a side canal from the Erie to Oswego, NY where you can get your mast raised. I would very seriously suggest you not try to cross Lake Ontario with your mast on deck, in particular in the latish fall. It is a hassle to put it up and then take it down again when you get across the lake but it is much safer to have it up, plus you will likely get a good sail.

If you have any questions about the trip up let me know, I have done the Hudson/Erie several times.
__________________
Finished the circumnavigation in early February in Grenada. Have to work on a book project for the next several months so the boat will be waiting for next year.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #26  
Old 09-10-2009
krozet's Avatar
Waiting For Spring
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 424
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
It is routine for sailboats to use the Erie Canal. Coming northbound you can keep your mast up until almost Albany, NY. There are marinas that will take your mast down for you for ~$150 and one boat club, Castleton where you can do yourself for about $50. You put your mast on wooden supports for the journey.

The canal itself is 30 locks and a variety of river and canal sections with one lake that is close to 30 miles long (and not to be taken lightly -- it can get quite choppy). You probably want to have three people on board for the canal - could do it with two who really know their stuff, but it will be new to you.

To get to Lake Ontario you take a side canal from the Erie to Oswego, NY where you can get your mast raised. I would very seriously suggest you not try to cross Lake Ontario with your mast on deck, in particular in the latish fall. It is a hassle to put it up and then take it down again when you get across the lake but it is much safer to have it up, plus you will likely get a good sail.

If you have any questions about the trip up let me know, I have done the Hudson/Erie several times.
Well I guess that will eliminate the canal as an option, i'd be lucky if I can find one person that would be able to take the time off work with short notice... Two would be a stretch and neither would know their stuff. I worked for a couple summers at a lock on the Rideau Canal in my teen age years so I know my way around but that was almost entirely house boats and power boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #27  
Old 09-11-2009
BreakingWind2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
BreakingWind2 is on a distinguished road
Here is where I am getting iffy, I know the value of a survey when looking for potential problems. My issue is that I am looking at paying $1,000 for a survey on a $5,600 boat. If I was buying a $40,000 boat I would see the value. As it is now it just seems excessive. The point of the survey is to find things that are wrong and negotiate with the seller to find a happy medium. Don't get me wrong, I would fully intend to have someone go over the boat to help find the issues and get them fixed but that can wait till spring.

If understand what you are saying but you may find when you go to put insurance on the boat that they will require a recent survey.
My two cents

Dave
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #28  
Old 09-11-2009
krozet's Avatar
Waiting For Spring
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 424
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingWind2 View Post

If understand what you are saying but you may find when you go to put insurance on the boat that they will require a recent survey.
My two cents

Dave
Hello Dave;

The seller sent me an Insurance Survey that was done 10 months ago. The conclusion of the survey was that :

“DOUBLE PINOCHLE” was seen to be in only fair cosmetic condition mostly due to the condition of the vessel’s deck molding. The structural condition was in general good except for some separated fiberglass bonds in the vessel’s interior. After repairs and corrections have been attended to, “DOUBLE PINOCHLE” should be a suitable insurance risk for offshore use provided normal maintenance is performed and normal safety precautions are taken.

I guess if I do buy the boat I will most likely have to leave it where it is and attend to repairs next spring before bringing her back to Ontario to refit her for offshore cruising.

Robert
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #29  
Old 09-12-2009
BreakingWind2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
BreakingWind2 is on a distinguished road
Robert,
Funny that this should come up. I was just admiring the boat across the marina from me and when I asked him what kind of boat it was...a Contest 33. Looks like a good sturdy boat, lots of freeboard. I would think that your insurance company would honour a survey done just 10 months ago.

Where are you looking to dock it in Ontario? I'm down in Newcastle.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #30  
Old 09-12-2009
krozet's Avatar
Waiting For Spring
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 424
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
krozet is on a distinguished road
Looks like if I buy the boat I will have to leave it where it is for the winter, I have asked the seller for info on who to contact at the marina about storage fee's from now till April, anyone know what the average storage fee's are for a 33' boat in the Boston area?

Anyone give me the name of a good diesel engine person I could contact to check the engine and winterize it? What is the process involved in winterizing a sail boat? I will have to take 4 days off work to do it, drive down from Canada and winterize the boat.

I am jumping the gun a bit I suppose as no deal has been finalized yet but I am trying to figure out the added costs and see if it is worth it or just go with my original plan of waiting till spring to look for a boat. This might be a great opportunity as the price is right and the boat is what I am looking for but if it is going to cost me another $3,000 for storage, winterize, travel back and forth... Maybe it would be better to wait.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Contest 31 HT Information gbm4th General Discussion (sailing related) 1 09-07-2009 10:05 AM
Contest 30 PCREV Boat Review and Purchase Forum 3 05-04-2003 02:31 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:06 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012