Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009

gbm4th is on a distinguished road
Congratulations Robert. It looks like you got a nice surprise when you got on your boat. Annapolis is a great place to get work on your boat done and the Sailnet community should be able to guide you to good craftsmen. I will soon be ending my first abbreviated season but look forward to getting together with you next time your down to visit your boat.

Good luck,
george
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboats View Post
Congrats on your purchase. I sail on my friend's Contest 33 here in St. Augustine. Great boats. I would seriously consider trucking the boat home.It doesn't take long to exceed the shipping cost in travel expenses, outside contractors, etc ... to refit a boat from afar. Not to mention the cost of repairs in transit to things that were overlooked due to the rush to get underway . Your best assets are usually close to home when finding parts and labor. Not to mention being able to start and stop work on your own schedule instead of being rushed to meet a deadline dictated by how much time you can be away from home
This is really the torture that robs me of sleep at night... to truck it back or not... Logistically it will cost less for me to visit the boat and sail it back but that will mean I have to, well... Sail it back... My first sail on my boat will be up the New Jersey coast... I am not worried about the Chesapeake Bay, the C&D Canal, Delaware Bay, the Hudson River or the Erie Canal. In fact I am looking forward to the Erie Canal but day three from Cape May to Mystic Island and day four from Mystic Island to Sandy Hook honestly scare me. Maybe I should be more concerned about crossing Lake Ontario or the traffic of the Hudson basin but neither of these worry me as much as the open ocean. I know I will be barely away from land but the starboard side of the boat leads to Europe.

If I were to consider trucking it back where would I start looking?

Thanks;

Robert

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 10-18-2009
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm4th View Post
Congratulations Robert. It looks like you got a nice surprise when you got on your boat. Annapolis is a great place to get work on your boat done and the Sailnet community should be able to guide you to good craftsmen. I will soon be ending my first abbreviated season but look forward to getting together with you next time your down to visit your boat.

Good luck,
george
Hey!!

You bet, I still owe you a drink for the pictures. To be honest I was very surprised when I got on the boat. When I did my ASA courses the first thing the captain made me do was a scavenger hunt and told me to tear the boat apart. When I got onto my boat it was the first thing I did and it was like finding treasure. Every cabinet I opened I found something else. The best surprise was the spools of brand new rope though. I tracked the number stamped on the spools back to : New England Ropes - ARC - Abrasion Resistant CVR (V12 Core).

Funny part was that I had not brought a ladder, I was standing there trying to figure out how the hell to get on the boat. Luckly the marina had a ladder but the problem was it was about a foot too short for me to get onto the boat. I had to stand on the top rung and jump onto the boat. Of course I paid no attention to how I was going to get off the boat... Thank god no one had a video camera, that would have been an embarrassing youtube video!

Robert

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 10-18-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Boats are routinely transported by truck.. it's really not a big deal. It is some expense, of course, but trade that off against better access, earlier refit and an earlier season at home.... given how little you've spent so far trucking may well be still within the budget.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-18-2009
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Boats are routinely transported by truck.. it's really not a big deal. It is some expense, of course, but trade that off against better access, earlier refit and an earlier season at home.... given how little you've spent so far trucking may well be still within the budget.
I suppose, it's just over 550 miles from White Rocks to Frenchman's Bay... at $4.50 a mile that is under $2,500. Add on $600 - $1,000 to load the boat onto the trailer and take it off...

Mark Twain
Old 10-18-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by krozet View Post
I suppose, it's just over 550 miles from White Rocks to Frenchman's Bay... at $4.50 a mile that is under $2,500. Add on $600 - $1,000 to load the boat onto the trailer and take it off...
Sounds about right...... though $4.50/mile might be a high estimate unless fuel prices have bumped the rates recently.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-18-2009
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Sounds about right...... though $4.50/mile might be a high estimate unless fuel prices have bumped the rates recently.
If the rates are cheaper that just means I save a little coin... With the strong Canadian dollar I am already saving as it is.

Mark Twain