Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Contest 33

Hey All;

Well I was browsing eBay and bid on a Contest 33 and lost the auction. I wasn't trying to win but I thought that bidding on a boat would make me stop wanting to run out a buy one as I am trying to hold off buying till next spring. I only bid $5,800 on it anyway and similar boats on Yachtworld are going for $22,000 to $45,000.

I lost the auction of course, the boat went for $5,900... Well I thought I lost anyway, I just received an email offering a second chance on the boat as the winner backed out. Now i'm tempted to buy it... I would have upwards of $20k to put into it as it looks like it needs a little updating.

How the heck would I get it back to Toronto???

Contest 33

What do the experts think? Worth a shot sight unseen? As is where is? It doesn't have a cored hull so that is a plus but the motor will probably need a rebuild as it has been sitting for a few years. Second chance offer expires Friday afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2009

jonneely is on a distinguished road
5,800 is quite cheap, I just looked at everything 28-38 the west coast had to offer and didnt come by anything that nice for that price, but then again, the boat is not a CA. Check shipping, i bet you looking at at least 3k to ship it.

Jon
Old 09-10-2009
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a scam to me. Three days have passed and the alleged bad bidder has no negative feedback? 100% positive with 440 feedback replies? I think you're about to become the victim of a second chance scam. The boat looks nice, but if you plan to proceed, definitely use one of the brokerage companies to hold the $$$ until you receive or take possession of said item.
Old 09-10-2009

gbm4th is on a distinguished road
Owner is in Holland, Florida titled and on the hard in Maryland? Seabreeze does have a point. That said, this is definitely cheap and they are great boats. I will be going down to Pasedena, Md this weekend to visit my Contest 31 and can look at the boat for you. Does White Rocks Marina have the title for the boat?

george
Old 09-10-2009

diogenes726 is on a distinguished road
This boat was offered previusly on Ebay, and I bid to $6000. The reserve was not met at that time.
I did inquire of the owner about the extent of the crazing in the gel-coat, and condition of the engine, and did not feel confident with the answers.
That said, it does seem like a very nice boat for the $$. With my limited experience, I was too apprehensive- especially since it has been out of the water for 6+ years.
Good luck- if I had someone local that could look her over, and had the money to put her back in shape, I would go for it.
Let us know.
Old 09-10-2009
Waiting For Spring

I emailed the seller to get some info:

*Copy of the 2008 Survey.
*Info about the title and transfer to me as I am Canadian.
*Where the title is.

Seeing as I have never bought a boat before I am suddenly overwhelmed at what I need to know in such a short window.

Robert
Old 09-10-2009
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm4th View Post
Owner is in Holland, Florida titled and on the hard in Maryland? Seabreeze does have a point. That said, this is definitely cheap and they are great boats. I will be going down to Pasedena, Md this weekend to visit my Contest 31 and can look at the boat for you. Does White Rocks Marina have the title for the boat?

george
That would be outstanding! I have emailed the seller to find out where the boat can be seen as I was going to try and drive down and back on Saturday. If I can get the info would you mind taking a few minutes to inquire about the boat?

I would owe you at least a few drinks of you're choice.

Robert
Old 09-10-2009
Waiting For Spring

I was going to email the winning bidder to see if they actually backed out but unfortunately eBay doesn't allow that...
Old 09-10-2009
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze_97 View Post
Sounds like a scam to me. Three days have passed and the alleged bad bidder has no negative feedback? 100% positive with 440 feedback replies? I think you're about to become the victim of a second chance scam. The boat looks nice, but if you plan to proceed, definitely use one of the brokerage companies to hold the $$$ until you receive or take possession of said item.
I am worried about being scammed as well. The second chance offer is through eBay though, If I log into my eBay account I have a buy it now button for the offer. I know it could just be BS but here is what the seller said :

Message from seller: Hello, the winning buyer just backed out, a personal emergency he says. He is very sorry and so am I but this presents a second chance for you. Awaite your reaction, regards, Peter

I was always told that if it sounds to good to be true it probably is...
Old 09-10-2009

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
Getting boat to Toronto... enjoy a trip thru the erie canal.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.