Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Okay can somebody please explain polishing the fuel for us neophytes with our little gas outboards?
Old 09-11-2009

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Diesel fuel tanks, over time, can collect significant hard deposits as sludge at the bottom of the tank. Additionally, it is possible to get growth in diesel which also adds nonsoluble sediment to the fuel. In heavy weather the sludge can get shaken loose from the bottom and very quickly clog fuel filters and thus stop the engine.
"Polishing fuel" is a method to force circulate the fuel through a set of filters to remove all of these solids before they can cause damage. There are several systems out there but they all do the same thing - filter the fuel (usually repeatedly) outside of the normal tank-to-engine loop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2009

RMCA is on a distinguished road
Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the advice to everyone who's replied. I've picked up some very helpful direction thank you.

I was starting to think I was crazy for allowing less than 3 months, but it sounds like with determination, picking the right boat and a good surveyor, a fair bit of cash (and luck) our plans should be do-able! I'll certainly be allowing as much time as possible, but its good to know a rough cut-off.

Cheers!
RMCA
Old 09-11-2009
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
OK,
Here's my thoughts on your situation: First off, great boat for the money! (I'm a little biased!!) The T-37 only has 90 gallons of water, so you will need to either add another tank, or go with a watermaker. Obviously, you can get by without for a while, but this is something you'll need to consider. We go through our tanks in about 5 days, but we aren't conserving much since we are only out for a couple of weeks at a time. Upgrades to the Tartan that you'll need may include the standing rigging, autopilot or windvane, radar, maybe new instruments, check or replace the steering cables, check the rudder for it is prone to water intrusion (there is a discussion of this on the tartan 37 website). Check the centerboard and its' hinge assembly...the hinge and associated bolts can develop crevice corrosion. The plastic Beckson portlights may need upgrading. I went with stainless ports and it really dressed up the boat.....made it look like a brand new Tartan!
I love our Tartan, she sails beautifully with a balanced helm and goes well on all points of sail except she's a bit slow on a dead run, but a lot of boats suffer on that point, just crack off a few degrees and all is well.
If you need a good sailmaker in the mid-atlantic, I know the place......they delivered my new main within two weeks and it is a work of art!

Hope this helps, Tom

Last edited by ehmanta; 09-11-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-11-2009

RMCA is on a distinguished road
Thanks Tom, great stuff. A Tartan is at the top of our shortlist. If we end up buying one I'll definitely take your points on board. Cheers, Rob
Old 09-11-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCA View Post
Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the advice to everyone who's replied. I've picked up some very helpful direction thank you.

I was starting to think I was crazy for allowing less than 3 months, but it sounds like with determination, picking the right boat and a good surveyor, a fair bit of cash (and luck) our plans should be do-able! I'll certainly be allowing as much time as possible, but its good to know a rough cut-off.

Cheers!
RMCA
RMCA,

Another factor will be where you undertake the refit. Some locations have better/ready services than others. You mentioned Florida, but may I also suggest the Annapolis/Chesapeake region for the boat purchase and refit? Lots of inventory in this area, and plenty of competent marine services too. For the crossing, you can jump out to Bermuda from the mouth of the Chesapeake and continue on from there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmanta View Post
....If you need a good sailmaker in the mid-atlantic, I know the place......they delivered my new main within two weeks and it is a work of art!

Hope this helps, Tom
Tom, All good info. Would you be willing to drop your sailmaker's name here in the thread, so others can benefit from the recommendation?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-11-2009
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
John
I wasn't sure if it was cool to plug a business, but since you asked.....
I used Ullman Sails in Deltaville, Va. Jerry Latell is the owner there and is real easy going and knowledgable. Quick delivery! I had them build an offshore quality main sail that turned out real nice and was every bit as nice as the Hood main that it was replacing. They also converted over my jibs for roller furling in the past.

Tom

Last edited by ehmanta; 09-11-2009 at 01:17 PM.