LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2009

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Hmmm....this is interesting.

1989 Catalina Custom Built Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
That IS interesting.

But I'm not sure converting a boat in this manner makes a lot of sense -- unless there's something about the Catalina 36 that you can't resist.

Let's see: add bowsprit with bob and whisker stays, mount chainplates and shrouds outboard on hull, add raised bulwarks, etc etc. There are plenty of boats on which these features already exist.

With an asking price of $50K, it's hard to imagine that they ar egetting much of their "investment" back. Then again, they did get to sail it around the world and now it could represent a good value for the next owner.

But I wonder how or if they addressed the interior cabinetry and other concerns that Mainesail mentioned?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-13-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
That IS interesting.

But I'm not sure converting a boat in this manner makes a lot of sense -- unless there's something about the Catalina 36 that you can't resist.

Let's see: add bowsprit with bob and whisker stays, mount chainplates and shrouds outboard on hull, add raised bulwarks, etc etc. There are plenty of boats on which these features already exist.

With an asking price of $50K, it's hard to imagine that they ar egetting much of their "investment" back. Then again, they did get to sail it around the world and now it could represent a good value for the next owner.

But I wonder how or if they addressed the interior cabinetry and other concerns that Mainesail mentioned?
Srsly. For $50k, why not buy a Moody 36 or Rival 34 or Nicholson and just go sailing? The world is full of older, lonely, proven ocean sailboats that would happily take you anywhere on earth. Why make a perfectly good Catalina sad by asking it to do something it wasn't designed for? Horses for courses.
Old 09-13-2009

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
That IS interesting.

John - Yes, Mainesail's comments were a real eye-opener. Now I want YOUR boat instead. LOL. (actually, I've always loved the Dana & 31 PSC, so I'm not really kidding).

Mike
Old 09-13-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Here's the link mentioned above.
EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - Lessons Learned: Sailing to Hawaii...The First Attempt by Arnold Rowe

Food for thought.
Old 09-14-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
After retabbing all the bulkheads, tanks, and interior furniture to the hull, as has already been suggested, you might also want to consider removing the deck and refastening it along its entire length to an inward-turning flange with bolts through a metal toerail on the outside with backing plates on the inside. If you fiberglass over the joint after doing that, it will be less likely to leak. To keep the hull and topsides from oilcanning (flexing which ends up causing stress fractures in unsupported panels) you may also want to add ribs inside the hull to reinforce the large flat areas that the C36 has, which are particularly susceptible to oilcanning. The deck could probably use some of these reinforcing ribs too, though it might reduce headroom. All told, there are less expensive and easier ways to end up with a suitable boat for what you want to do.
Old 09-15-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
After retabbing all the bulkheads, tanks, and interior furniture to the hull, as has already been suggested, you might also want to consider removing the deck and refastening it along its entire length to an inward-turning flange with bolts through a metal toerail on the outside with backing plates on the inside. If you fiberglass over the joint after doing that, it will be less likely to leak. To keep the hull and topsides from oilcanning (flexing which ends up causing stress fractures in unsupported panels) you may also want to add ribs inside the hull to reinforce the large flat areas that the C36 has, which are particularly susceptible to oilcanning. The deck could probably use some of these reinforcing ribs too, though it might reduce headroom. All told, there are less expensive and easier ways to end up with a suitable boat for what you want to do.
Ex-actly. Catalina makes spectacular boats for coastal cruising, family fun, and entertaining at dockside or mooring. Better cockpit tables or cupholders you will not find. If that describes 98% of your sailboat time, the C36 is your best selection. But IF true bluewater is the goal -- meaning 40 days of squalls and heavy swell and no land within three thousand miles -- why strip a boat to the very hull, re-engineer that, then rebuild all components piece by piece from there, when there are so many purpose-built craft available? If I had $50,000 to spend, I'd put it HERE. Contessa 35.
Old 08-05-2010

valliel is on a distinguished road
Well,
First of all sorry for my poor english, but I am spanish. I own a C-36 since 1991. We have sail together around 50.000.- nm. Two Atlantic crossings and a lot of single-handed sailing and racing. I really do NOT agreed with those saying the C-36 is not a blue water boat. Why? Those small details mentioned, are really peanuts.
My boatm already 20 years old, is structurally sound and in perfect conditions.
Ready to answer any question you have about my experience with a C-36.
Best regards to all.

Eladio
Old 03-20-2012

larrybme is on a distinguished road
Re: Beefing Up A Catalina 36 For Bluewater

I know this is an older post, but I need to post a few things and need the practice writing. So....
I am not one for mncing words or holding back my opinions.
40 days of squalls and 3000 miles from land. Where have you been sailing? Or have you been sailing. There is no place on earth 3000 miles from land.
40 days of squalls and heavy swell. Mars or Venus, maybe Jupiter. But then you contend with the oxygen and temperature problems. No captain or crew will survive 40 days of squalls and heavy swells, the Catalina 36 may, but crew will long be dead or recued.
Yes the Catalina 36 has its quirks, weaknesses and draw backs. Compare one of equal age to any manufactured boat and you will find as many, if not more problems of equally, if not more so, issues do contend with for taking one offshore.
Of any procuction sailboat still in production or not, Catalinas have the least issues and the most content owners. Many Catalina owners have stayed with Catalina. Why would you think Catalina is still in business?
Oil canning?? Contessas are prone to oil canning, not Catalinas. At least that is what I have come up with in my extensive research of just about every boat manyfacturer.
What are my references you ask? My wife and I sailed a 30' Tartan from SF to PV and back taking a year and a half. However never more than 150 miles off shore. If you have been out of protected waters, you will know that wind, swell and squalls are stronger, more dangerous and more likely the closer to land you are. Thus the biggest to a Catalina 36 is being close to land, either making port or coast hugging. Don't be lulled into compacency because you think the coastguard is near or your are a day out. A serious health problem, or boat problem can get you in the water very quickly and if survival depends on rescue, be prepared to meet your maker.
Many stories from circumnavigators repeat the same if not similar observations. The strongest winds, currents and biggest swells were incountered off the WA, OR or CA coast. We experienced 40 knot wind, with much stronger gusts and mixed breaknigswells that we could have put two of our 30 footers on stem to stern. The boat and crew survived, the crew shaken, the boat unscathed.
I have been sailboatless for the last 10 years. Have been keeping my eye on the market and researching every boat available in the 30k to 60k price range. Catalinas hold their value better than any other boat in that price range. Tartan would be the best choice for offshore sailing, a touch more expensive and a little less comfortable at anchor or living aboard. The Tartan line, of the same age, will still have maintenance and age issues as expensive to repair or fix and out fit for passage making. Any, I repeat any boat can come apart in extreme conditions. Maybe you could by Backus's Deerfoot 60. Very nice boat, very nice. Less issues, but even a small issue is a big expense.
Regardless of how much cruising you think you will be doing, you will be spending at least 90% of your time at anchor, mooring or in slip. Yes, even out cruising. Anyone who has cruised for 6 months or more care to refute that fact? In fact 90% is actually a low number, it is more like 95% of you time. So, you need a boat that is comfortable to spend 95% of your time comfotable in. Catalina 36!!!
Valliel, I hope to be able to contact you soon, right now I must check on a few Catalina 36's I am keeping my eye on. No I am not going to share with any of you where I have found some good deals that have been available for a while and probably with owners ready to negotiate.
Please lord, deliver me from this life on dirt soon.
Larry B
Midnightflyer likes this.
Old 03-20-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Beefing Up A Catalina 36 For Bluewater

Get a copy of Offshore Sailboat from Amazon. It will help you identify shortcomings needed safety gear etc.