Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009

mrybas is on a distinguished road
Faster- I have never been on the Passport 40. The Passport 42 has 2 decent size cabins and a quarter berth which is appealing since it will be single guys on the cruise. The Passport 40 has a quarter berth cabin? Would a 6'2'' person sleep there comfortably? There are 3 Passport 40's with in a few hours drive...I'm going to make the trip down there and check them out.
1984 Passport Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1981 Passport Aft Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1985 Passport Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

CruisingDad- The Ta Shing and Mason are both very nice boats but about 100K above my budget Why don't you think the IP should be on the list? I know they have a reputation for being slow and clumsy in light wind, but with a modern full keel and good build reputation, I hear they do well when things get rough.

JomsViking- Your right the HR is a beautiful boat...really high quality fit and finish. My brother and I are both over 6' and our heads we're scraping down below. Although there isn't alot of volume down below with 11'6'' beam, I thought it was laid out quite well and had ample storage.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"our heads we're scraping down below."
I've found that can actually be a GOOD thing. If I can stand upright and brace my head against the overhead, I'm braced and don't need to keep "one hand for the boat". I wouldn't use my spine as the only brace in really bad wx, but there are plenty of times when it is actually quite handy.
Old 09-11-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
MryBas,
I am biased, but;
You could do well to look at a Peterson. The 44 1979 Formosa Peterson Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com will be cheaper (and arguably faster). They have 2 stateroom, each with a full bathroom. This should suit you and your brother.

The hull design, I feel is better for all performance but safer for prolonged downwind runs than many more modern designs.

My boat is similar to this one;
1988 Peterson - Center Cockpit Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by St Anna; 09-11-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2009

aferlazzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
MryBas,
I am biased, but;
You could do well to look at a Peterson. The 44 1979 Formosa Peterson Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com will be cheaper (and arguably faster). They have 2 stateroom, each with a full bathroom. This should suit you and your brother.

The hull design, I feel is better for all performance but safer for prolonged downwind runs than many more modern designs.

My boat is similar to this one;
1988 Peterson - Center Cockpit Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
That Peterson 46 looks good and is very, very attractively priced at $99k. First question I would ask is what kind of shape are the water and fuel tanks in? If they have not already been replaced the next owner might have to. The second question I would ask is where are the ST winches... the photo of the cockpit shows all regular winches.

Definitely the KP 44 and 46 should be on anyone's blue water cruiser list. They are great boats, and less expensive than other similarly sized blue water boats. Trick is to find one that's either completely ready to go or cheap enough to allow a good refit.
Old 09-12-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
Faster- I have never been on the Passport 40. The Passport 42 has 2 decent size cabins and a quarter berth which is appealing since it will be single guys on the cruise. The Passport 40 has a quarter berth cabin? Would a 6'2'' person sleep there comfortably? There are 3 Passport 40's with in a few hours drive...I'm going to make the trip down there and check them out.
We have friends currently cruising Mexico on a Passport 40 (V berth layout, quarter cabin, "U" dinette). While the owners (he's 6'4 or more) ordinarily use the V berth, they have used the quarter cabin on occasion. We spent a week in the quarter cabin and found it quite comfortable and spacious (but I confess I'm not 6 feet tall). If not used as a double it would be very roomy indeed. With respect to Stan Huntingford (designer of the Passport 42) - the 40 is a much prettier boat. Also because it's not a double ender, the cockpit is incredibly spacious and comfortable.

There are several layout versions of this boat - a forward head with pullman berth just aft was the original, I believe. Labatt can add to this info of course. The links you posted seem to be forward head versions... with variations. Some people like the forward head, I suspect that using it at sea might be more difficult than heads further aft (due to exaggerated motion) - but then no head is easy to use in a seaway.

Also, a member here Mimsy recently bought a Nassau 42 which is a close cousin also designed by Perry. Other boats with similar pedigrees include the Tatoosh 44, Nordic 40/44 and a Reliance 39 if you can find one.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 09-12-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-12-2009
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Amel 41? Price seems reasonable with a good track record. It is just hard to find them in the US.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.

Bruce Lee

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING OUR PRESENT LAWS NOW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2009

mrybas is on a distinguished road
Faster- Thanks for the info. The Passport 40 sounds like an ideal boat for our purposes.
Jerryrlitton- I do like the Amels (hard dodger, good looking, well built) but would prefer a single masted boat.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Bristol 41? Annapolis Sailyard, Inc. (Annapolis, MD)
Old 09-14-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We have friends currently cruising Mexico on a Passport 40 (V berth layout, quarter cabin, "U" dinette). While the owners (he's 6'4 or more) ordinarily use the V berth, they have used the quarter cabin on occasion. We spent a week in the quarter cabin and found it quite comfortable and spacious (but I confess I'm not 6 feet tall). If not used as a double it would be very roomy indeed. With respect to Stan Huntingford (designer of the Passport 42) - the 40 is a much prettier boat. Also because it's not a double ender, the cockpit is incredibly spacious and comfortable.

There are several layout versions of this boat - a forward head with pullman berth just aft was the original, I believe. Labatt can add to this info of course. The links you posted seem to be forward head versions... with variations. Some people like the forward head, I suspect that using it at sea might be more difficult than heads further aft (due to exaggerated motion) - but then no head is easy to use in a seaway.

Also, a member here Mimsy recently bought a Nassau 42 which is a close cousin also designed by Perry. Other boats with similar pedigrees include the Tatoosh 44, Nordic 40/44 and a Reliance 39 if you can find one.
And the Baba 40.

For 100kish, I would try and get into a Tayan 37 that was well cared for. It is a very hardy, go anywhere boat. for 120's to 130's, I would look at a well cared for Passport 40. For 130's to 150's, I would look at a Tayana 42.

No comment on the IP, for reasons I hope you can appreciate.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-14-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
...And the Baba 40.- CD
The Baba 40, Tayana 37 and similar boats are quite different beasts than the Passport 40, Nassau 42 etc... even though they are from the same designer and probably of similar build quality.

All great offshore boats, and probably none of them backs up well under power, but besides that quite different in spaciousness and esp cockpit comfort.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-14-2009

aferlazzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
Faster- Thanks for the info. The Passport 40 sounds like an ideal boat for our purposes.
Jerryrlitton- I do like the Amels (hard dodger, good looking, well built) but would prefer a single masted boat.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Bristol 41? Annapolis Sailyard, Inc. (Annapolis, MD)
That looks like a very nice boat, but the stowaway mast is not something I would want if I wanted to do what you propose. I think the ideal mainsail for your purpose might have the top battens as full battens, three reef points, and some kind of dutchman system for easy putaway. Plus I'd have a storm trysail ready to load up on its own track. And a storm jib obviously.

Since you want only one mast I would think you'd have to have a cutter rig. I will again recommend the KP 44-46. Owner's website here:

Peterson Cutter Website - Welcome