Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009
Self Grandizing Egotist

SeanRW is on a distinguished road
Bluewater budgeting...aaarrggghhh

Brother,

A lot of good advise posted above and here's my $0.02 worth.

"A boat should drink 6, feed 4, sleep 2"

or something along those lines.....(read that here I think)

Assuming you and your partner take 1 cabin for yourselves and then have a pullman or something for guest(s) OR use the salon setees for bunks, you can probably get away with something in the mid 30's. As for pricing, that's a whole separate can o' whoop-azz.

You've got to consider the following factors as having an impact on (what appears to be on the outside) similar boats.
- Level & quality of maintenance to date
- Condition of the hull (Been grounded, Blistering/Osmosis, Needs Paint ?)
- Condition of the sails, rigging etc and what're you getting ?
- Condition of the mechanical items aboard (engine, plumbing, wiring)
- Additional equipment included in the sale (electronics, galley etc)
- How desperate is the owner to sell & just as important WHY

Good rule of thumb is to plan for boat price + 30%-50% (additional equipment, repairs, getting it "right") Also, don't forget that cruising (fresh or blue water) assumes some general wear & tear on the boat daily. This will require ongoing maintenance and we all know that even if you do the work yourself, it's still not exactly "cheap" just cheaper....

Also, don't forget to set aside money to live on while cruising. I'd budget your monthly expenditure to be the same as it is on land, but you'll be spending it on different things. If it turns out less, then GREAT but don't plan on necessarily saving money while cruising and it'd really suck if you got the boat but had to cut the trip short cause you ran outta $$$

Looking at Yachtworld.com would be my suggestion. Put in your price range and a size from 30-40. See what pops up. You might get lucky but the budget you mentioned is tight on a good day...
Old 09-16-2009

brother52 is on a distinguished road
Thank you Sean, you've just given me some valuable info. I've decided to cut my size range to 28-33' to make this budget somewhat less tight.

I've been monitoring Yachtworld for some time, and it looks like I can get an early 80's 30'-32' bluewater design boat in good to average condition for about $30K - or I can get a 70's boat in excellent condition for the same money.

I personally don't care about year number and would prefer a more polished boat that requires less work, but I'm worried that resale value of a 70's boat in 3-5 years would be so much lower that buying one unless very cheap (< $20K) would be unreasonable. How correct is this??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook