Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009
Seaward 26rk

strandedsooner is on a distinguished road
Too good to be true?

Ive recently have been bitten by the sailing bug and have taken a beginner sailing class and spend copious amounts of time reading about it on the internet. I'm looking to buy a boat before next season and ran across this listing on ebay for a 70's model Cape Dory 28.

BEAUTIFUL CAPE DORY 28' GREAT SAILING BOAT (NJ WRIG 78):eBay Motors (item 200382764457 end time Sep-18-09 17:00:00 PDT)

Right now its up to $3650 and who knows it might shoot up last minute, but that seems so low for a boat that runs 10-20k on yachtworld. Granted it might have big issues but the hull is reportedly sound and the motor is at least running for up to 4 hours

The fact that I'm in Kansas and the boat is in Maryland doesn't help either. I know that if it sounds too good to be true it prob is and I would be better served getting a boat I can have professionally surveyed first...I get that. Just curious if anyone with more experience thinks that maybe it wouldnt be such a bad deal. Pass or consider further?

Thanks,

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
It is very difficult to say from photos alone, but this boat would appear to have far more potential than the vast majority of "bargains" that folks ask about.

If I were interested in this boat, in my mind I would be budgeting for a new engine or at a minimum full rebuild, along with quite a bit for new standing and running rigging, probably new sails, not to mention a lot of elbow grease.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-17-2009

LakePirate is on a distinguished road
Buying a boat from pictures and the owners description is like buying a pig in a poke. I spent two years looking at boats listed on Ebay and Craiglist along with other sites. Every time I went to inspect them in person they were not comparable to the pictures. I found some of the pictures to be more than two years older than the advertisement date. For the price the Cape Dory may be a fine boat, but I wouldn't expect it to be exactly as it appears.
Old 09-17-2009
Banned

lporcano is on a distinguished road
chau

Last edited by lporcano; 03-23-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
OES NOT CIRCULATE WATER WELL BUT HAS NEVER OVERHEATED AND HAS BEEN USED FOR UP TO FOUR HOURS THIS WAY

SOME DISASSEMBLY DONE ON COOLING SYSTEM TO TRY AND SOLVE CIRCULATION PROBLEM -BELIEVE IT MAY BE THE RUBBER IMPELLER

The motor is NOT running right NOW as shown by the water pump laying in pieces and it clearly has a bad leak

Your looking at big dollars in moving any boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 09-17-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-17-2009
Seaward 26rk

Thanks for all the responses

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm new to all of this but do have some $$$ saved to pay for repairs, updates, etc. Who would be a good place to call and get a ballpark amount for having the boat shipped to Kansas? I'd love it if I had time to refit then cruise it from Maryland then up the Mississippi then Kerr-Mcclellan to near my parents home in Tulsa Unfortunately cant do that. Also ballpark how much would a new small diesel engine installed run?

Thanks again,

Eric
Old 09-17-2009
Seaward 26rk

Trailer for it?

Also would buying/renting a trailer be an option? Of course getting all the requisite permits etc to transport her also.
Old 09-17-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul View Post
IT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO OUR ATTENTION THAT THERE SHOULD BE A BOOM FOR THE ORIGINAL HEAD SAIL THAT IS NOT PICTURED I HAVE TRIED TO CONTACT THE DONOR TO SEE IF THIS COMES WITH THE BOAT BUT HAVE HAD NO LUCK AS OF YET

THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN REMOVED TO INSTALL THE ROLLER FURING

wha' the heyyyy is this guy talking about?

AS OF RIGHT NOW THIS BOOM WILL NOT BE INCLUDED IF IT IS AVAILABLE WE WILL GLADLY INCLUDE IT TO THE NEW BUYER

alrighty then, maybe a spin pole?
Paul,

I believe the "boom" that he is referring to is the club foot for the original hank-on jib. You can see it depicted in the brochure photo.

Given that they've switched over to roller furling -- it's not an important component anymore (especially if they've gone to an overlapping genoa).

It wouldn't make a whole lot of difference to me whether the boat came with it or not.

Old 09-17-2009
Seaward 26rk

Replacing Diesel

A new diesel if needed will be 7-10K? Is that just for a volvo, meaning would a yanmar, westerbeke, etc be any cheaper?
Old 09-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandedsooner View Post
A new diesel if needed will be 7-10K? Is that just for a volvo, meaning would a yanmar, westerbeke, etc be any cheaper?
Not much. You might get a Betamarine for a bit less. But I would expect closer to the high end of Paul's "installed" estimate. The smaller Beta engines are in the $5-7K range (depending on # cyclinders) for engine/transmission alone.

Maybe you could save by doing your own installation? Or look for a used/rebuilt engine?