Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
...I do not know how true this is. but local sales rep for Jeanneau has said the boats out of charter do not seem to have the amenities that a non charter boat has. Not sure if this is Sunsail etal not ordering them in with the stuff, or Jeanneau selling boats heading to charter with out as much stuff on board or some combo there of. This is just a I've heard, do not know "HOW" true it is, but it would not surprise me that a charter might not be as fully optioned out per say.

Marty
Marty,

What you've heard is consistent with what I saw on the 45.2 I was aboard. This boat had LOADS of optional and custom features which the owners had ordered from the factory, since it would be their very own coastal cruising boat, not a charter boat. Many of them were very clever and all were well executed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2009

vadimzh is on a distinguished road
Zanshin,

I am not sure where I will endup buying my ever so slightly used dream boat as they have about 5 of them. Guadalupe, St. Vincent, BVI(or was it USVI?)... The one that has the cheapest price and the least amount of troubles. I plan on sail it to USVI and keeping boat there for a year. Visit it a couple of times to enjoy vacation, get to know boat and then will sail it to US. Once in Florida (or wherever I endup), it will be loaded on a truck and brought to California, where it will sail San Francisco Bay and down south with my family and friends.

Now that I have got myself out of daydreaming, I will need to find a good Caribbean inspector (references are welcome), arrange for a good, secure, but not too pricey slip in St. Thomas, worry about one season of hurricanes and then do some blue water sailing without really taking to know the boat... but I guess that discussion should be in a different thread.
Old 09-21-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
John,

It would not surprise me at all that a person that ordered a boat would have "MORE" items on it as options, than even a stock "sales" boat for a dealer! If your friends ordered the boat thru a local dealer, I would expect it to be nicer yet per say! I know if I could order a new boat today, it would probably have a few more things on it than what the dealer would order it in with.

To the OP,

Make sure you really check out the boat well. I know of one Sun Fast 37 that sunk, was refloated, and being sold with a bunch of other SF37's last spring IIRC, and the one that sunk was not listed as having sunk and refloated etc. I doubt too many of the charter fleet boats have had this issue, but something to make sure you look for issues like this. As far as the SF37 that was sunk, it was in the entry to a horrible harbor to get into, right in the middle, and the mast was a major obstacle to get in and out, so I am positive that boat was under for very long.

Marty
Old 09-22-2009

Oh, Marty, now you just gave me nightmares... I promise to fly and check boat together with the best recommended boat surveyor on the forum. Too bad that boats do not have "carfax" agency.

Vadim.
Old 09-22-2009

Vadim,

I really doubt you have to worry about the boats having sunk, even if for a short time as the SF37 was. But do look over the charter boats carefully and find one that is in good shape. I luv my 25 yr old Arcadia, and wish I had teh funds for an SF35 or 37. Or better yet, the new SF3200! I race my boat, so I want the race/performance pkg style boats.

make sure you list you name etc on the jeanneau owners site too!!

If you see zanshin down there, figure out how he gets his 2 crew to be so pretty! anyway, another story and so forth!

marty
Old 09-22-2009

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
An inspector will be able to determine, in short order, whether a boat has been a submarine I can make specific recommendations for a good surveyor in the BVI - if you buy out of there. It might be a bit far to fly someone in from the BVI if you are purchasing down island, though.

Whether or not an ex-charter boat is a worthwhile purchase is a hotly debated subject here; it is almost as emotionally laden as the gun-ownership, mono vs. cat, religious and political threads, only barely being relegated to the back rows. If we aren't careful, this one might turn into such a thread.
p.s.
Marty - I haven't put up any pictures from my last trip, with the new boat and (occasional) new visitors on board. I have a slow day at work today, so I might just upload some more pictures later on...
p.p.s. Marty - I added the pictures!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zanshin; 09-22-2009 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Addendum
Old 09-22-2009

Zanshin,

Glad to know you're still on top......hmm right words?!?!?!............ of things!

You are already at work?!?! you must be in europe, bout 6:15am here on the left coast of US. Just getting up, heading out the door in a few for work.

vadim,

I would not worry too much about buying a former charter boat. I know of three with them, including Zanshin, and all have had what I would call no major issues. Other than higher usage wear and tear, ie varnish worn off, more hrs than normal for motor useage etc. You are still getting one of the better basic built, shall I say Chevy/ford style boats. It is not a Mercedes or equal by any means, but a good bang for the buck boat that will sail well! Especially if you get the deeper keel models, and not a shoal draft, even then, most are not complaining, unless they race it upon occasion.

Marty
Old 10-13-2009

cebretko is on a distinguished road
Vadim: I purchased my S.O. 45.2 new and have been extreemely pleased with the performance under sail and power. My boat has the turbo 75 HP engine. Although I have the short rig to accomodate the inland waterway bridges I have no problem passing Catalinas, Hunters, or Bennetaus of equal length or larger while under sail. I did install a Doyle vertical battened main which works well. I've never heard the boat refered to as slow unless your comparing it to a J or Santa Cruz. FYI
Old 10-13-2009

Thank you for your reply. I am now down to three "target" boats:
Jeanneau 45.2, Jeanneau 43DS and Dufour 43.

I know it sounds silly, but based on where I plan to keep the boat I am looking at a lot of weekend trips, where I start and end last leg of about 25 miles under engine and in the most inconvinient hours. When you cruise under engine, what is your speed with 75HP?
Old 10-14-2009

cebretko is on a distinguished road
With no current, the 45.2 will cruise at 8 knots @ 2800 rpm all day.