Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009

vadimzh is on a distinguished road
Jeanneau SO 45.2

Thinking on purchasing a Jeanneau 45.2 (deep draft) 2002-2001 model (ex charter). Would be interested in your opinions on the boat.

If you own or chartered one, what are problem areas on a boat?
What should I be looking for when I am checking it out? I have seen it with 56HP, 63HP and 75HP diesels. What kind of difference diesel makes on the boat (aside from eating more fuel)?

Anyone has a pdf version of the manual?

Best regards,

Vadim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2009

Gene T is on a distinguished road
I like the 45.2 a lot. But it is not known as a fast boat. Jeanneau build very solid boats. The 45.2 is the older design which used a grid and stringer system, the newer boats use a pan liner. I prefer the older building methods but the new boats are plenty strong.

I have not sailed one but they have a very nice layout, with the exception of the galley design, if you are OK with that fine, it has enough other good things going for it.

56hp sounds too small for that boat.

You really need to understand what buying an ex charter boat means. It has probably been well maintained but it has been used, used, used, and should really be thought of as a much older boat. If it has been used in the tropics it will have a lot of sun damage. It will also have less desireable configuration. Probably engine driven refer, furling main sail, extra cabins and heads, no holding tank and the posibility of an odd electrical system. On the positive side it may come with lots of gear.

A charter boat might have multiple coats of bottom paint that will need to be removed.

What to look for. Check all stringers and ribs for delamination or cracks caused by a hard grounding. Inspect the rudder closely. Check the keel/hull joint. Moisture check the deck.

I have known several people who have bought ex carter boats, they each spent much more that they figured on to make the boat what they wanted.

You can probably get a user manual on the Jeanneau web site, but it will likely be in French.
Old 09-19-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The main Jeanneau website has an OM for a 45.1, but did not have one for a 45.2. There is a sales brochure for a 45.2! As I recall a 45.1 is about the same, a few slight changes tho.

You might also look at www.jeanneau-owners.com for Jeanneau info, along with the forum portion of the site too.

Good luck.
Marty
Old 09-19-2009

Thank you

Thank you for your answers. They are very helpful. Yes, the boat will most probably come from Caribbean charter fleet. I have heard people referencing sun damage and "washed out decks", but I have never seen one to undertsand. When you say, lot's of sun damage, how would it look like? I understand sails will probably be UV damaged, I have seen that, but what does sun do to a deck and boat itself? What kind of repairs it entails?

I have also heard people saying watch for headliner problems. I am not even sure this boat has headliners or what to look for?

Cabins are fine, as I actually need 4 cabins. I primarely do coastal sailing around the San Francisco coast, so it actually a benfit to me. Especially, the ability to quickly convert forward cabin to one big or two smaller ones. It is bad for most cruisers, but it is good for me for the next 5-7 years, until kids grow to be independent.
Kitchen design, while I do not like flat style whole side kitchen, as long as I can add some handles, so I can feel somewhat secure while coocking under way, I can live with it (I guess, untill I really try :-) ). On the same subject, I wonder if people have expirience adding handles to main cabin ceiling on 43/45 Jeanneau boats as the it seems way to big to walk while sailing in any decent seas.

I do hate roller furling main. As it brings three problems: possibility to get stuck or unfurl in strong winds (actually had it once happen to me. Very, very unpleasant), no buttens, problems with quickly adding storm sail. Are there ways to change it to just drop down configuration without completely replacing mast? How pricey such modifications get?

When you said it is not "known as a fast boat", what do you mean? I understand, it is not SC52 or J120 and it will not go planing on the downwind, but I was thinking it should be able to do 8kts with iron sail and 7-9kts in 20-25kts. Am I off? Could you elaborate?

Blt2ski, thank you. Downloading it now.

Vadim
Old 09-19-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
vadim,

I recently was aboard a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2. Not sailing, but at anchor. The owners gave me a tour of the boat, so I had the opportunity to give it a good lookover.

This boat was the 3-cabin/2-head version. I liked the layout. Similar to a Catalina 42 tri-cabin, but with more of everything. One feature I especially liked was the full-sized navigation station, a feature which is absent in the Catalina 42 tri-cabin as well as the 3-cabin/3-head layout and the 4 cabin versions of the 45.2.

I also liked the cockpit layout. The twin helm configuration really opened up the ingress/egress through the open transom. I also liked how the swim ladder recesses under a hatch instead of folding up and blocking the walk-through.

There were vast amounts of cockpit locker storage, plus a huge "garage" locker on the foredeck just aft of the fairly large anchor locker (accessed via a large deck hatch with stairs).

The owners had purchased this boat new from Jeanneau, and had spec-ed the larger turbo engine as well as many optional features. They reported speeds under power and sail ranging from 7-9 knots, I seem to recall. The larger engine will apparently push the boat quite well.

Overall, I was pretty impressed by the features and finish. Plus, these owners had taken meticulous care of the boat (it is for sale -- the one in Rockhall, MD on Yachtworld).

Personally, I would prefer their 3-cabin/2-head layout to the other versions you are considering, but your circumstances may be different. Also, I would try to find one that was not coming out of charter -- less wear and tear, better maintenance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-19-2009

Out of my range :-(

John, thank you for your feedback. That boat is indeed lovely. However, it does not fit my needs. The first issue is the price. It's asking price is $150,000more than ex-charter boats I am apraising. So, it is out of my range. I do a lot of coastal cruising with my friends and I need 4 cabins plus main cabin to sleep them all. Until I am done putting kids through college, I have my main work that I can not drop. This makes my trips 2-3-4 days, plus vacations, plus some sails down to Mexico, plus beercan races weekly. My own family is four, my friends have kids, you throw in a couple of bachelors and suddenly 45 feet 4 cabin boat seems very small

Vadim.
Old 09-20-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Now that I am reading your needs and so forth a bit better. You speeds you want will/should be very atainable with the boat you are looking at. Most of us with Jeanneaus will tell you they sail well. better than a catalina, hunter etc.

You may want to try and get ahold of a poster on here, Zanshin, he had a 43ds that he got out of charter, now has a 49ds IIRC. I do not remember if it came out of charter or not.

The as I remember from a thread on the Jeanneau owners forum, the 45.1 vs 45.2 vs 45.3 are no different than some maufactures having mk 1 vs mkII vs Mk III versions. Enough upgrades that they feel they need to call them something slightly different, yet not enough to say they are a different boat altogether.

I do not know how true this is. but local sales rep for Jeanneau has said the boats out of charter do not seem to have the amenities that a non charter boat has. Not sure if this is Sunsail etal not ordering them in with the stuff, or Jeanneau selling boats heading to charter with out as much stuff on board or some combo there of. This is just a I've heard, do not know "HOW" true it is, but it would not surprise me that a charter might not be as fully optioned out per say.

Marty
Old 09-21-2009

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I got my 43DS out of charter (from Sunsail) in the Caribbean and feel that I got a good deal - while there were obvious use-related issues overall the price more than reflected that. With a lot of elbow grease careful maintenance I got the boat back into shape. The newer boat, the 49DS was almost new when I bought it - having only been sailed on the ARC after commissioning and then put up for sale.

The different charter companies have different maintenance regimes; the big ones will be "average" in terms of maintenance and most likely a bit above average in use (mainly engine hours, your sails might still be pristine). The smaller operations have a chance of being "above average" to "excellent" but you won't know until looking at the boat or having a surveyor do so.

I don't know how different the hull forms are between my old 43DS and the 45.x models, but I remain quite happy with the sailing performance of Jeanneaus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-21-2009

Zanshin, thank you. That encourages. My boat will most probably come from former SunSail fleet. Could you share with me a list of maintenance problems that you have seen on your boat? It will give me an idea on what to expect. Also, what upgrades have you done to a boat after you picked it up?

Huge thanks to all your replies,

Vadim.
Old 09-21-2009

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Vadim,

I had one major issue on my 43DS (the rudder fell off) but that was a problem that the surveyor and I didn't see and caused by a combination of a grounding or reversing into something early on in the charter life and subsequent corrosion and electrolytic corrosion at the hull/rudder join where it was hidden.
Typically the sails on a Caribbean Sunsail charter boat will have less hours on them than the engine - I'm not kidding! The sacrifical parts of the genoa and mainsail (if it is roller-furling like mine) will be nearing their end-of-life and the bimini Sunbrella material might have another 2 years or so in it. The engine should be checked carefully by the surveyor as it will have seen a lot of use and perhaps some pretty rough treatment. The same applies to the transmission. Generally, unless grounded, the hull won't have seen undue stresses. Jeanneaus have a deck-stepped mast but often have the compression post sink in at the keel (that's what both my surveyors mentioned) and the keel bolts should be checked, even if they are epoxied in. This is because the bilge is so small that any standing water will submerge the keel bolts.
A lot depends upon how the vessel has been phased out of service. If the owners are savvy, they will have a professional survey done on phaseout and will ensure that Sunsail fixes issues that otherwise might be put down to "normal wear and tear" and not addressed.
After getting the 43DS I spent a long time cleaning the boat. By "cleaning" I mean not only removing dirt but taking things apart. This has the advantage of removing years worth of grime in very hard to get at places, but you will find things that are worn out and about to fail before they actually fail. In addition, you get to know all your systems intimately so that when thez do fail you will know where to start on fixing them.
I already a generator and AC on board the boat so I ended up not buying new gear, just upgrading existing stuff. The running rigging was replaced in toto, as were the docklines. I took apart and cleaned the winches and pretty much anything that needs grease, ball bearings or had moving parts. This took many, many hours but didn't cost much in terms of parts.
In my case I was the in the BVI, so sailing to St. Maarten for spares and supplies wasn't too difficult - where are you looking at purchasing your boat?
One issue I did have with Sunsail was that it took over a year to get my ownership papers - but that was partly because the boat had been transferred to Sunsail and their internal channels are quite long. Luckily, the "letter of running" in lieu of new papers accepted everywhere I went.

The new boat is a different story - it was not intended for charter use and has all the "mod cons" installed already.

You can PM me for more information and I can show you my correspondance with the seller regarding our differences of opinion on the definition of "fair wear and tear" when it came to fixing things up on boat before I would accept it; nothing major but probably best not put out in public.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.