SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Buy now? These boats?

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Buy now? These boats?

Here are my thoughts and plans:

I plan to start sailing the boat in about 2-3 years. I will moor her in Belfast Maine. For 1-2 years I will be preparing her and myself for longer passages. After careful study and evaluation I have chosen the Southern Cross 31. I had initially planned on buying in 2-3 years but with the current economic state I am now thinking maybe it is wise to buy now.

Thanks, Ditch

Here are the boats, what do you think any winners? :
Browse Southern Cross boats for sale - New and Used Southern Cross for sale
1981 Southern Cross Cutter - 31' Cruiser Sailboat for Sale in Pensacola, Florida

My questions are:
1. What are your opinions on when to buy? Will these boat prices go up, stay the same etc. If I purchase now the boat would be stored in the mean time..

2. What are your thoughts on these boats.
A .I am very weary of non factory finished boats. But also confused. For example one boat is a 1985 and is not factory finished and one boat is a 1976 and is factory finished but they are about the same price 9 years is a long time for deterioration.
b. Some of the boat are about the same year but have a difference in price of $10,000-$15,000, this seems mainly do to equipment, but it seems like electronics that are used for a couple of years don't often have much use left. Should I evaluate what I want for a finished boat, equipment etc. and find a balance-paying special attention to the hull quality; should I ask the owner/broker to evaluate all the equipment's condition on a scale from 1-10? I have often seen boats advertised that were just back from a long cruise and there is a label on them like "just got back from a long cruise, ready to go back out!!" If it just got back and the owners are ready to sell don't you think that the equipment could very well be well worn, is it realistic to replace parts or am I better off just assuming I should budget in buying new equipment?

A. Here are the boats
Browse Southern Cross boats for sale - New and Used Southern Cross for sale

See less See more
#2 ·
Yachtworld search for SC31 southern cross (Sail) Boats For Sale
The first one in North Carolina looks good, has been upgraded and has a factory built interior. Engine must be quite new with only 300 hours (doesn't give engine year). For example electrical.

The one in Cambridge meanwhile has not been upgraded. Looks like factory built interior, engime is probably original with almost 2900 hrs. While it may have been
kept up, everything looks as old as the boat. For example electrical.

Don't necessarily discount a non factory interior. While you will find some bad ones, a good craftsman with time can exceed the factory quality as well.
I like the one in Carolina from the Yachtworld info.
Brian

Attachments

#3 ·
In answer to your question of the best time to buy, I think there is no specific best time. When you want to and find the right boat is the best time for you. As far as predicting prices, anybody's guess I think. If we were all good at guessing we'd all have cashed in our Microsoft stock long ago and gone sailing.:D
Brian

#4 ·
looks like a nice boat. Pensacola -Belfast? sail her for a couple of weeks in Florida, have fun, enjoy, and decide what you need to do. Have it trucked to Maine, and do your work on the hard. Splash it during the summer sailing months. when you are ready to cruise, truck it again to Norfolk VA and head out from there, what ever you pay, consider when you sail away it will be double what you thought things would cost. Keep that in mind and you will have a blast.
Tiller pilots are less expensive then wheel pilots- good
the boat looks a little small, cabin space is important-bad
you might need radar in ME but no where else.- opinion
you sail the hull and the rig, so interior finish is up to you.
good luck!

#8 ·
As we have found to our cost there are liars, there are d****ed liars and then there are people selling boats. We have looked at boats described as being "sail away" and viewed rusty dirty junk. However I will say if you ask the BROKER the right questions they may wriggle a little they are almost always truthfull when you pin them down on something. We are always concerned about the condition of the standing rigging and before travelling out of our way to view a boat will quiz the broker on the state of the mast rigging and sails.

The asking price may have no relation to the real value of the boat. It is not uncommon for the owner to decide initially to recover the money they have in the boat or what they owe the bank!

After a year or so reality sets in and the price comes down. I have been following an Endeavour that started at 130k and came down to 84k on Ebay. It is now sold who knows what for.

There is no way round actually looking yourself [or by proxy] and decide what is useable and for how long. I have been looking at one boat where the owner proudly lists a large battery bank in excellent condition [ purchased in 2000] Hmmmm 9 years old batteries? It needs 6 at 250 dollars each.

#10 ·
Brokers: one thing I am unclear on is how I choose the broker.(not meaning choosing the right/good one).for example I have seen the same boat listed at different places, what if I don’t like any of the brokers listed with the particular boat I like?? Can any broker sell the boat, if there is a broker I like can I choose him??

#11 ·
I think if the listing is exclusive to one broker, which is common, you would have no choixe but to deal with that broker if you wished to buy that particular boat. But of course, regardless of what the broker does leave out or misrepresent, etc, you will get a survey and the surveyor will be working for you. Don't rely on a survey anyone else has had done in the past and DO NOT find the surveyor on recommendation of the broker.
Brian

#12 ·
Looking for my first boat. One that has caught my attention is a Pearson 28 which has been on the hard for two years. I cannot post a link yet. Has a rebilt Atomic 4 with tiller, non-press. alcohol stove with two sails. Price was dropped from 8500 to 6500. I would offer less. Do boats deteriote quickly on the hard? TIA. Hank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.