SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   J92-type vs Alerion 28-type vs Alternate (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/58240-j92-type-vs-alerion-28-type-vs-alternate.html)

Roscoetuff 09-21-2009 04:27 PM

J92-type vs Alerion 28-type vs Alternate

Done the cruising thing. Looking for fun daysailing and possible infrequent over-nighting. Gotta be comfortable enough for the wife (we're 50) who's been sailing for years, but while following instructions well, doesn't want to be too active as part of the crew... if you know what I mean.

Plan is for boat with an inboard, a head, and not much more than that below - place to get out of the rain if need be. Simple. Like to have enough sail area to get moving in typical light winds of the Chesapeake summers. Looking for modest maintenance costs, too.

Spent the weekend learning down at J-world to gain experience on asymmetrics and other high tech rig goodies. Not looking to go crazy... but it sure is nice to move along well even when the winds are in the 3 to 4 knot range. Boats were J80's which are a little on the too-lean side of things, though not much. Large cockpits are nice.

Oh... and breaking the bank isn't really in the cards. So a new boat is not on the table (e33 won't be happening).

Wonder whether the Alerion 28 with a Gennaker moves well enough or not. I can see the advantage a nice big, light sail adds to moving the boat... but not sure the wife's going to feel included on a J boat just yet. Love to hear some feedback/suggestions/recommendations. Hope I've provided good enough data... but that's always a wild card.

tommays 09-22-2009 07:51 AM

The Alerion is a fine BUT small 28 foot boat with 8'2" beam

The J92 being 2' feet longer and having allmost 2' more beam at 10' is a much bigger boat

jephotog 09-22-2009 02:00 PM

Second vote for the J 92

I have not sailed on an Alerion but much admired the lines. When I used to have a boat in a slip I had to walk past one each day and got to each day as the boat never left the slip. I did have to help the owner one day as it was taking on water and everyone on the dock was too fat (this was New Orleans BTW) to fit into the space to do anything about it. I managed to fit into the space and make the repairs. Not that I had time to look around but my overall impression was sparse down below.

At about the same time I did some racing on a J92, which was owned by a very cool owner, and provided some great times. My impression, the boat was fast, fun to sail, easy to sail and had close to standing room below and nice accomodations for a nice cruise for two or weekend with four close friends. It would be on my short list of boats if I were in that tax bracket.

jason3317 09-22-2009 02:30 PM

It's a probably a fair conclusion that the J will be the better sailing of the two, particularly in Chesapeake wind. A 3-4' LWL advantage is significant. That said, the Alerion is a stunning looker and would be suitable for the use you outlined. You may not like the location of the head in the Alerion, though.

One point of difference, and this is important to me at least, the J/92 has an open transom and the crew sits on the edge of the cockpit comings - it doesn't have cockpit "seats". I prefer a closed transom, especially if I would be daysailing.

I would suggest, if you like the J/92, that you also at least look at the J/100, which in my mind is probably more "daysailer" than the "racer" of a J/92. The /100 has an enclosed cockpit and real seats - ones that you can put cushions on! Some even have the Hoyt jib boom installed as an option, similar to some Alerions.

Roscoetuff 09-23-2009 09:17 AM

Thanks!

Folks - this is helpful input. I've also contacted the local Chesapeake Alerion 28 fleet and a few have acquired Gennakers, but seldom use them.

Part of me wants the go fast some times, just sail others (light wind), and the comfort part is more for my wife. Cockpit seats are a nice thing... with real backs. Aging - we're both just past the 5-0 mark... but still young enough and work out a lot. But time does its own thing.

Someone commented on the open stern. That's a good point. Dog might fly out there... like he jumped out the car window when we slowed down near the yard office the other day! Yet a sprit boat sets up pretty nicely and isn't all that hard to trim and keep trimmed down wind. LOTS of fun! But I have little intention to race the boat... other than "... whenever two or more of you are gathered on the water..." bit. I mean if you've ever raced... it's ALWAYS in the blood.

So there will much pondering and visiting at the upcoming boat show. Question whether I'm leaving out some good candidates altogether??? Appreciate any further thoughts.

jason3317 09-23-2009 10:52 AM

What is your budget $$. I assumed approx 100k? Max LOA you would consider? We already know that you'll accept a basic interior.

The brand new J/95 will be shown at the show....wheel steering (both the Alerion and /92 and /100 are tiller), keel/bronze centerboard, carbon sprit, spartan accomodations...supposed to sail to weather really nice and has a masthead A-sail. Base price $150k.

I still think the J/100 is your boat based on what you've told us.

Roscoetuff 09-23-2009 11:27 AM

Jason:
Thanks for followup. Trying to hold in the budget 70's. This means some new money... but not much. LOA - want to hold at 30 max. Prefer 28 (short's good, just not short and slow). Even log canoes ran 26 to 28 for some pretty good wave characteristic reasons in the Chesapeake chop - or so the legend has it.

AE28 09-24-2009 12:43 PM

"We" love our AE28!!!

She's a great boat to sail single-handed. We have a 135%, but generally use the small jib on the Hoyt Jib Boom, which will point much higher than the 135%.

Have never overnighted and never will.

Paul

Roscoetuff 11-03-2009 12:40 PM

Okay... so true confessions: Have contracted to purchase an e33. Liked it, loved it, it's where we're going.

djodenda 11-03-2009 12:45 PM

Thank you for taking the time to follow up.

And, Congratulations!

David