Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2002

skyamsen is on a distinguished road
C&C mast step deck compresion??Help

I am just about to purchase a 1980 C&C 25 Mk2 and have a few concerns. Firstly, the mast step the deck has be depressed by about 3/4" below decks is solid. I had the boat surveyed by a very reputable surveyor who said that the step compression was not structural and it was a concern what do you think? I am considering leaving the mast up until spring 2004 and then have it taken down and have the deck fixed. should I be concerned and do it now> or should I walk away from the boat?
Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road

skyamsen,

Maybe you are unfamiliar with this forum, but you posted the same question two days ago and have received several lengthy replies under the Gear and Maintenance forum. Hopefully you can find them.

Duane
Old 12-18-2002

skyamsen is on a distinguished road

Yes I did receive 2 reply''s in response to my question I figured if someone else was looking here they might have a better answe. As the other 2 responses didn''t really answer my question..
thanks
Old 12-19-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Without seeing the boat, it is very hard to give you a meaningful answer. There are a range of posibilities as to why the deck is sagging and each have a different cure. Also your description is not very clear. If I remember correctly the C&C 25 has a deck stepped mast and the deck has a small raised spot where the mast step sits. I am interpreting your description to mean that there is a 3/4" depression in the deck at the small plinth that the step sits on. There are a number of possible causes of that condition. Under that plinth there would normally be a block of plywood laminated as core material in the mold. If water has gotten to that plywood it can rot or delaminate from the deck mold allowing the deck to crush. This is very much a structural issue. To repair this right, you would need to unstep the mast, cut out the top of the plinth. Remove all wet and rotted plywood, and if this were my boat, build up the void with solid glass and epoxy.

There are other possible causes such as rot in the king posts or movement in the king posts but these would show up as problems closing the door to the foward cabin or head (if I remember the layout of these boats)

Jeff
Old 12-19-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road

The Niagara 26 has a similar setup with the deck stepped mast. A common problem with these boats has been rot at the bottom of the support post under the step. I am not sure if the C&C has a support post or just a bulkhead inside teh cain inder the mast step but you should check this out. I do not believe it is a diffiicult task to replace the post.

Best of Luck

Mike