Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
Also, you have to take what you read at "yachtsurvey.com" with more than a grain of salt. They don't have anything nice to say about anything. They're mainly powerboat guys, and they have a "if it's not a bertram it's crap" attitude.

There's a couple of early 90's hunter 29's (I think) around me, and they're nice looking boats, and don't suffer from some of the somewhat dated styling you see in other hunters.
Old 09-30-2009

TheSeaPenguin is on a distinguished road
I went and saw a Catalina 30, and I can't say I was impressed.

Everything was too short by 6 inches. The table could be lowered to have a berth in the seating area, but was 6 inches to short in every direction to actually be able to lay down straight. The aft berth was great, except it was almost impossible to fit under the cockpit on the centerline portion of the berth, 6 inches of more room would have been enough.

There wasn't an honest double berth on that boat that didn't end in a point.

Is this changed in later years? (This one was an '81) What kind of room on the Hunter 28/28.5 is there under the cockpit? I know I can't expect the world, but it appeared to have room to lower the aft berth by more than a few inches... Once more pizza and I would be touching the bottom of the cockpit...

soulfinger - I took a look at the rest of yachtsurvey.com and you are right, wow. While it doesn't make me think I will take the Hunter 28 across the Atlantic, I am not quite as concerned about that "review." Thanks for pointing that out!

Last edited by TheSeaPenguin; 09-30-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
While the C30 can lay claim to being one of the roomier '30 footers' around, the lack of clearance in the aft berth under the cockpit is a real problem... I can also see the limitations in terms of berth length for the taller set. It's hard to beat the Catalina support, though, and the widespread re-sale rep.

I think from a design/styling standpoint the late 80s to early 90s Hunters (legend series) have a lot going for them. Whether the build qualitiy is a universal problem during that era I can't say for sure. I like the fractional rigs and the layouts - we have friends with an earlier 40 (huge!) and others with an early 90s 37.5.. lovely boat that feels solid and sails well.

There is one other issue with the late 80s Hunters that you may want to watch for. I've seen several models that had a almost-impossible-to-get-rid-of strong urea-like odor. The '85 40 and an '89 31 were two cases in poiint. This is an obnoxious smell that can be somewhat 'cured' by regular ozonation, but it's never gone and can be smelt on the clothes of those that liveaboard such models. It seems by the 90s it was gone.. don't know the cause for sure, but perhaps it was from some of the glues used during construction. Others have speculated that it was from trapped pockets of bilge water within the liner systems, I suppose that's possible too. I'm also not sure its a problem across the board, but I seen/smelt it often enough to think it might be.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-30-2009

Faster - thanks for your comments. Was the urea-like odor obvious enough that I would notice it when first entering the boat? Or is it going to be something I would notice 2 weeks after buying it?
Old 10-01-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If it's there you'll know it... if it shows up in a couple of weeks, splurge on a marina and take a shower!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-01-2009

defensible is on a distinguished road
Check tanks

On the Hunters, check to see if they have changed waste tanks to plastic. Hunter had used an aluminum tank that has to be changed on many of the boats. I suppose the failure of some of the tanks may have something to do with chemicals used in them, the amount of water used when flushing (they say 7 pumps), and how long the contents were usually left standing. That said, my tank is fine, knock on wood, on my 93 Hunter 28 and no urine smell.
Old 10-03-2009

defensible - Thanks for the information on the tankage. Definetly something I will have to look into.

Faster - I don't understand... How often are you supposed to shower? I thought that was whenever you did the bottom paint...