SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Searching for Cruiser for 6'3" skipper (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/58400-searching-cruiser-63-skipper.html)

chucklesbuford 09-26-2009 11:03 PM

Searching for Cruiser for 6'3" skipper

We need a bigger boat! 3 of us, one 6'3" and one 9 years old, went for a month on our 27" ketch last summer and it became clear that we need a bigger boat if we are to achieve our dream of longer cruises (without a drowning or marooning). SO... we have looked at an Irwin 38 (pretty, but too low and too slow), a Catalina 36 (no place for hubby to stand up or stretch out) among others. We are teachers, so a brand new boat is out of the question. It will have to be something of an 80's vintage, I am guessing, from the prices I am seeing, though the Irwin we looked at was 1976. Finally, we appreciate a shallow draft as our favorite cruising grounds are the Georgian Bay and North Channel of Lake Huron. Any suggestions? Current contenders from internet postings are a Cheoy Lee Offshore 38 (1979); a Pearson 38 (1978), a 1989 C&C 37, and a Hunter Legend (not sure of year). I would love feedback on any of these boats, and/or suggesions of other boats we should look into.

CaptainForce 09-27-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesbuford (Post 526659)
We need a bigger boat! 3 of us, one 6'3" ... dream of longer cruises ..... too slow...... We are teachers..... 80's vintage..... a shallow draft......

Many similarities to us on your inquiry!We needed a bigger boat,- 4 of us before our adult children moved ashore......I'm 6'3".........we're cruising fulltime from Maine to the Bahamas with the seasons.......Here's the conflict with your needs,- ours is not a performance boat, but then it is a well functioning sailboat,- "nothing goes to windward like a 747!.....We are teachers (now retired).....ours is a 1973,- a tough "truck"....we love our shallow draft at 4'3"!
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...rce/003-13.jpg..performance is relative
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...hyasmall-3.jpg...'not a light wind vessel, but we love our morgan, 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

winddancer88 09-27-2009 11:22 AM

There are a ton of mid-30 ft cruisers with 6'3" headroom, some with 6'4". More headroom can be found, but most of those are newer and longer boats.

As to your boat selection, the Catalina 36 has 6'3" or 6'4" headroom depending on the model year. The Pearson 38 has always been near the top of my "affordable boat list", slightly above the Catalina 36 as I like the lines a little better and believe it is a little more stoutly built. Both boats have similar dimensions, though the Pearson is laid out like the Cat 34 with an aft head and a larger v-berth (which I prefer).

The Cheoy Lees I've been in were pretty, heavy, boats with less headroom and interior space that comparably-sized alternatives. I would guess 6' headroom on the 32' that I was in. I don't know about the 38" Offshore.

C&C's of that vintage were good, fast cruisers. Interior space significantly less than the Catalina or Pearson you are looking at.

I would avoid the Hunter Legend. I've looked at some for sale and they were poorly built and not well maintained. I think Hunter has made some huge strides forward in recent years (2002+?) but I wouldn't buy an older one.

labatt 09-27-2009 11:36 AM

I'm 6'2.5" and fit well in our Passport 40 (V-Berth forward version). There is enough room in the cockpit (and then some) to stretch out and sleep, and to stand up. The V-berth fits me well, and the interior (centerline) has enough room for me to walk around. It's not until I stand on port or starboard side of the cabin that there's an issue, and that's rare.

chuck5499 10-01-2009 07:04 PM

i am 6'1" and we sail a jeanneau ds40-- she has about 6'8" in the saloon and through out the boat - good height - she sails well and is extremely comfortable - we are full time cruisers and have this year gone from miami to bahamas to maine and are currently in the cheaspeake headed south
good luck in your search but take a look at the ds
chuck patty and svsoulmates
on the hook st micheals md

PaulDolan 10-01-2009 07:29 PM

I have a '77 CAL 46. 6'6" headroom, 5'5" draft and a very good cruising boat.

chef2sail 10-01-2009 08:14 PM

Paul,

That Cal better be a good cruising boat as you are taking a "boatload' on your trip.

Donna and I will be watching your posts with interest so post a lot. We hope to join Tom and Kathy in a few years to the Bahamas, but will have to settle for Martha Vineyard , Newport and Block Island this year.

Fair winds and safe seas to you and Mary,

Dave

johnallin 10-01-2009 08:53 PM

Tartan 372

A Tartan 372 may be the answer, there is one for sale in the Grand River Ohio area.

speciald 10-01-2009 09:01 PM

Mines for sale. 7'2" in saloon, more in galley. 6'3" every where else except forward head.

johnallin 10-07-2009 04:28 PM

Fresh water Tartan 372 for sale Ohio

The Tartan 372 for sale in Ohio has always been in fresh water and had a Flag Blue Awlgrip paint job in 2007.....