Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009

Ima90sJezus is on a distinguished road
Question Boat Storage Question

So for my first post, I have a boat storage question.

I have an opportunity to obtain a "free" 1970's 29' Islander that needs alot of work in and out of the cabin. Never having owned a sailboat, I would like to store this at my house instead of a boatyard so I can spend the necessary time repairing it.

In order to obtain this boat, I would be resonsible for hauling and trailoring it to my house, approximately 40 miles away from the Bay. Before calling and checking the haul and shipping rates, I would like to find out what type, what size, and how many boat stands I may need along with any orther storage items that I may be over looking.

Here are the boat mesaurements that I know:

The boat displaces 7,800 lbs, with 2,800 lb in the keel. The beam is 8' 10.5", length 29' 1", draft 3' 8"

Any advice or input from you all would be greatly appreciated.

-Ima
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey Ima - welcome to SN dude.

I'm sure someone on here will know what to tell you. I ain't one of them.

However, I have seen several similar posts where one of the prime considerations is the ground you're storing her on. Make sure it can handle the load you'll have at each stand point. If it's relatively soft ground, you'll need to displace the load at each stand with something like a concrete pad, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-30-2009
Well-wisher

pschoonveld is on a distinguished road
Call around to local marinas and inquire about a hydraulic trailer. They are typically used to move boats short distances around boatyards or short hauls. They lift the boat around the hull, much like a sling, instead of from the keel. Prepare to pay a reasonably large fee for the service, likely in the hundreds.

You will need jackstands and firm ground as the previous poster noted.
Old 10-01-2009

Ima90sJezus is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Thank you 2 for the information - living 8 hours away from where this boat would be stored, I'm just not sure how much time I could invest in it. Still have alot to think about for this "free" boat.
Old 10-01-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Ima - this is just my opinion. But if you look around hard enough, you can find a pretty cheap boat that is already in the water with sails. Yeah it may need work, but the beauty is you can get to work on it immediately AFTER you finish your sail.

The "free"/major-project boat thing doesn't appeal to me too much. Free gets real expensive real fast - already you're in the hundreds of buck just to move her. I LOVE working on my C27 - but if I had to do that for 2 years before I could sail her, I couldn't handle it. I love sailing too much.

Everyone rolls a little differently - but that's my take.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-01-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Six stands (3 pairs) would be needed. And a 7th at the bow is alsl a good idea. Check out Brownell and Hostar. Cost is about $100 each for a Hostar and $130 for a Brownell (from Defender.com). You also need blocking for the keel, plywood squares for under the stands, and safety chains,

There are special trailers designed to move sailboats and . Check local boat haulers. I would think you are looking at about $500 each way.