SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Anyone sailed/owned an Ericson 30-2 ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/58623-anyone-sailed-owned-ericson-30-2-a.html)

captaincrunch27 10-04-2009 08:00 PM

Anyone sailed/owned an Ericson 30-2 ?

They were made from 1978-? not too many out there. I looked at a nice one last week but wanted some opinions on sailing performance etc. Tiller, A-4 engine, good sails. This one was modded to a 4'11" draft. I am going for a test sail. Thanks for info!!!

Faster 10-04-2009 08:09 PM

We looked at one of these (also known as the E 30+) in our last hunt. We liked a lot about it.. the frac rig, Ericson quality, etc. That particular one, recently repowered, was way over-priced and in the end we went for something a little bigger for less money..

The only caution I'd have: Since the standard keel was 5.8 feet, and the official shoal keel 4 feet - I'd be concerned about just exactly how this one was "modded" to 4'11".

captaincrunch27 10-05-2009 08:45 AM

This on has the OB rudder only 47 were made

It shares the specs with the 30 plus version otherwise. Apparently a boat yard cut the keel , added weight in the form of a bulb/wing look? I would want to sail in heavy air to make sure that the boat is not tender before seriously considering a purchase. Thanks for any info...

deniseO30 10-05-2009 09:03 AM

one of the guys in my YC club has E-32 I like it! I'd say it's laid out in a traditional way down below and is bit narrow beamed. the A4 is an "interesting" piece of equipment imho.

Tanley 10-05-2009 01:56 PM

Captain,

We were initially looking at Ericsons as well. In case you haven't visited yet, I found this site to be useful. Very good user base for Ericsons

EY.o Information Exchange - Powered by vBulletin

captaincrunch27 10-06-2009 10:08 PM

Test sailed today in 20+ knot winds

The boat sailed well. It handled gusts very well and never felt out of control. Very little weather helm even when overpowered by a gust.The hull has pinched ends and the boat does not feel bigger than a Paceship 26? The T shaped cockpit with an outboard rudder, and a long tiller make the small cockpit feel even smaller. The boat feels smaller overall than a C&C 30 mk1 and the Tartan 30.

Faster 10-06-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captaincrunch27 (Post 529537)
The boat sailed well. It handled gusts very well and never felt out of control. Very little weather helm even when overpowered by a gust.The hull has pinched ends and the boat does not feel bigger than a Paceship 26? The T shaped cockpit with an outboard rudder, and a long tiller make the small cockpit feel even smaller. The boat feels smaller overall than a C&C 30 mk1 and the Tartan 30.

Yeah, Cap'n, I'd guess those would be fair assessments... though I reckon that down below you'll be a bit more comfortable than the Paceship.

oaklandsailor 05-02-2010 08:00 PM

G'day friends,

I have an opportunity to look at a 30-2 with wheel and stern rudder and my only interest would be buying it as a blue water boat. Has anyone got more data/experience on the boat since Faster's last post? If so I'd appreciate your posting here.

Also, and I know the debate is endless, your thoughts about this boat with wheel vs tiller?

Thx,
Oakland

mikel1 05-02-2010 08:11 PM

Ericson

Go to ericsonyachts.org

oaklandsailor 05-02-2010 08:53 PM

Mike, I may have missed it but I didn't see any comments at the website (30-2 owners) that addressed extended cruising with the boat. If I missed it please send the link.

Thanks,
OS