Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009

erhorner is on a distinguished road
Catalina 400 Used Boat purchase

Hi,

I've been recently looking at purchasing a boat and i think i've narrowed it down to a Catalina 400. (I would rather not debate the merits of a C400, but rather the appropriate used price).

I have looked to NADA guides for some guidance on price, but the prices here look significantly different than what are listed on yachtworld. Average Retail for a 2003 (with no additional features) is 149k, but there are several listings for 185-189k on yachtworld. Is it customary to get this type of discount when shopping? Or is Nada just wrong?

I have heard that boat prices are down significantly, but this seems a little strange. also i can appreciate most people here are likely owners of these boats and would rather no want to talk down the price of their investment, but it would be nice to hear a little more background as to what the appropriate value is.

thanks for your help (i tried to post a link to nada, but this is my first post and sailnet won't let me do that)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
ERhorner,

Were you by chance looking at the catalina 400 for sales in Pasadena this last weekend. I know the boat well as well as the current owner. We saw people looking at her as she is in the slip next to us.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-06-2009

erhorner is on a distinguished road
actually im up in new york, but i have seen Slainte Mhor on yachtworld. The one i saw was at coney's.
Old 10-07-2009

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
As with cars, the NADA guide is just an average. Expect a well-kept and well-equipped boat to go for considerably more. Another factor is that a lot of sellers haven't yet come to accept that prices have dropped. I'm seeing the same thing in the process of looking for a house right now.

People bought a house in 2006 for some grossly inflated price and think that they should now be able to sell it for some sort of a profit. So now they have it on the market for $450k when comparable houses in their neighborhood have been selling for $250k in recent months. These are just people who are either going to get a rude shock when someone finally makes them a realistic offer on their house, or who are going to have their house sit on the market for months on end before they realize it is simply NOT going to sell at their dream price.

Same with some boat sellers.
Old 10-19-2009

JoeAbb is on a distinguished road
The 400 at coney's. is a trade on a new 445. So coney's owns that 400, I am sure there is movement in the price.
Old 10-19-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhorner View Post
Hi,

I've been recently looking at purchasing a boat and i think i've narrowed it down to a Catalina 400. (I would rather not debate the merits of a C400, but rather the appropriate used price).

I have looked to NADA guides for some guidance on price, but the prices here look significantly different than what are listed on yachtworld. Average Retail for a 2003 (with no additional features) is 149k, but there are several listings for 185-189k on yachtworld. Is it customary to get this type of discount when shopping? Or is Nada just wrong?

I have heard that boat prices are down significantly, but this seems a little strange. also i can appreciate most people here are likely owners of these boats and would rather no want to talk down the price of their investment, but it would be nice to hear a little more background as to what the appropriate value is.

thanks for your help (i tried to post a link to nada, but this is my first post and sailnet won't let me do that)
If would be SHOCKED if you got a 400 anywhere neat 149. If so, I would suspect some serious issues with the boat. NADA is a horrible source for boat prices. Most of the brokers/surveyors I know have long since given up on them.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-19-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd highly recommend listening to what CD says about Catalina 400s... he knows a lot about them....

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-19-2009

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
When I was looking at late model Catalina 30's two summers ago I found a $25k delta in asking price for boats that looked similar on paper ($40k-$65k), so it doesn't surprise me that you'd see a $40k delta on boats in your price range. What they look like in person and what equipment is included have a LOT to do with the final selling price.

How long the boat has been on the market is also a big factor and in this economy there are boats to be had cheap if you're patient. I watched the price gradually come down on my boat for several months before I finally went and looked at her - but you're betting that someone else won't grab her before you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhorner View Post
I would rather not debate the merits of a C400, but rather the appropriate used price.
Catalina's are great boats when used the way most really sail (not in 30' breaking seas in the Southern Ocean) and their customer service is downright amazing for the boat business. That's why they have such brand loyalty. It seemed like everyone at the Catalina party in Annapolis this year was on their second, third or fourth Catalina. We're on our second.

The C40 at Coney's looks to be in really nice shape. Good luck getting her.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-20-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Ask the broker to print a report for you of the C400's sold in the past year or two. That will give you some idea of recent sales prices to which you can then apply your SWAG of how much prices have depreciated in this economy.

Good Luck, from another satisfied Catalina owner.
Old 10-21-2009

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
When we bought our current boat, we found it very difficult to figure out what the "going rate" for a given boat is. Obviously, equipment, condition, and location are big factors. The broker provided us "comps" on similiar boats, and they confused us more than anything. That being said, I try to watch the market on Catalinas, and I agree with CD that $149 sounds quite low for a 400. It's even low for a 387.