Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Stupid Question

Hello;

This really is a stupid question, I have driven to Maryland to finally see my new boat. It is on the hard, I have brought enough tools to equip the army engineer core and every book I could get my hands on for inspection and repair. I have printed the thread about boat inspection, I have contacted the marina and had all my questions answered...

Now I am sitting here tonight going over everything in my head before I set out for the marina in the morning and I am wondering one thing:

The boat is on stands, do I just setup a ladder and climb on board or do I have to wait till it is in the water before I can get my hands dirty under her skirt as it were?

Logic says that people must always go on them when they are on the hard all the time but for some reason I have this nagging question... First of many I am sure.

Oh and since this is my thread I am going to ask another quick question. I am going to hit the boat show one day and my new boat one day, that will leave me one day in DC. I was thinking that the Smithsonian air and space museum would be the best place to see on a short notice. Anything else I might want to find time for? I could always take a sick day and get back to Canada wednesday instead of Tuesday.

Thanks

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2009

nuffoftexas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krozet View Post
Hello; This really is a stupid question...

I was thinking that the Smithsonian air and space museum would be the best place to see on a short notice. Anything else I might want to find time for?
Thanks
There's no such thing as a stupid question - so, don't forget to walk 14th Street around midnight. You're welcome. Oh, and jump up and down on that thing sitting on the hard like you were in Hard Rock Cafe. It's a lot more stable than some of us around here.
Old 10-09-2009
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuffoftexas View Post
There's no such thing as a stupid question - so, don't forget to walk 14th Street around midnight. You're welcome. Oh, and jump up and down on that thing sitting on the hard like you were in Hard Rock Cafe. It's a lot more stable than some of us around here.
14th Street seems pretty long, any suggestions as to where I should start walking? Florida Ave? Massachusetts Ave?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 10-09-2009

nuffoftexas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krozet View Post
14th Street seems pretty long, any suggestions as to where I should start walking? Florida Ave? Massachusetts Ave?
I would start in Arlington and stay in Arlington. And, even there, I would do it only in the daylight.

Any part of the Smithsonian is great. Just pick one that fits your interests. Having done all that as a child though, including walking 14th Street, I seem to have more fun just hanging out at Washington Channel.
Old 10-10-2009

PrarieRose is on a distinguished road
Don't kid yourself!

You just bought a new boat (used I assume) that you plan on fixing up. You don't have any spare time anymore... ever. Take joy in the work you do. I have found Don Casey's book to be an excellent resource. Amazon.com: Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual: Including Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair, Sailboat Refinishing, Sailbo (9780071462846): Don Casey: Books

Congratulations on the new boat.
Old 10-10-2009
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrarieRose View Post
You just bought a new boat (used I assume) that you plan on fixing up. You don't have any spare time anymore... ever. Take joy in the work you do. I have found Don Casey's book to be an excellent resource. Amazon.com: Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual: Including Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair, Sailboat Refinishing, Sailbo (9780071462846): Don Casey: Books

Congratulations on the new boat.
This is the first of 4 visits I have planned between now and next April, this is just the assessment visit. I need to check the engine and do a complete inspection. Next visit is for any fiberglass issues I find and the engine. Third visit is set if I need to replace the engine, if not I will go over the electrical systems. Fourth visit is for launch, a shake down cruise and to fix anything that will prevent me from sailing it back to Canada. Sailing it back to Canada will happen at the end of the fourth visit. Each visit is set for 7 to 9 days, the fourth visit is set for 16 days to include the cruise home.

Dan Casey's book was in the second bunch that I bought and I have it with me for this visit. It will have dirty finger prints in the diesel section before too long.

Mark Twain
Old 10-10-2009

steveg353 is on a distinguished road
I lived on our boat for about 5 weeks last year while on the hard. I used an 8’ A-frame ladder….always remember to lash the ladder as a big wind will knock it over while your inside no less. As a 40-50 mph front moved through one night, I also wondered what it would take to knock any of these boats over. They are sturdy but do vibrate in a big wind.
Old 10-10-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Congrats on the new to you boat - Contest 33 I assume. If it was me I'd spend all my time on the boat. Checking every locker and listing contents, removing manuals to read at home, noting suspect areas that need attention, cleaning or rebuilding or anything in between. Then I'd sit there and note what i wanted to change. Take a digital camera and use it to document every nook and cranny. It will give you a reference at home when you're not sure of something. But I have been accused of obsession when it comes to boats.
Brian
Old 10-10-2009

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
Never Mind a big wind..

The guy next to you will take your ladder first chance he gets. Lash that ladder and lash it well as you will likely be carrying things that require both hands, so a long ladder that you can have a long run and less rise on would be best. I also found that a milk crate or other sturdy box that I could load with items and haul up with a rope was very helpful while on the hard. Oh and unless you have a holding tank on board, you are going to want a few empty jugs on board
Old 10-10-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Well done on your new yacht.
As soon as you climb aboard, its a new life for you. A much better one!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.