Seller's response time to offer - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-13-2009
Tanley's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 251
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Tanley is on a distinguished road
Seller's response time after offer

Looking for opinions on this one. We put an offer on a boat 3 days ago and the sellers haven't replied in any way (yes, no or counter). I explained when we made the offer that we were looking to move quickly since the season is coming to a close. I called the broker yesterday and today, and was told both times that the sellers were still thinking about it.

This annoyed me. Should I expect this sort of turn around time or does it seem unusual? I politely told the broker we had to move on to another boat, and if we were still in the market in the Spring we might be in touch.

Didn't have this problem on a previous offer (response time was within an hour or two). Next time I'll put a 48 hour expiration in the P&S, just didn't think it would be necessary. Chalk another mistake up to the newbie

Last edited by Tanley; 10-13-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 10-13-2009
Faster's Avatar
Just another Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 15,342
Thanks: 88
Thanked 242 Times in 233 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Three days with no response whatsoever from the seller (esp via a broker) is pretty rare in our experience. There's usually a pretty quick comeback initially - if there's no immediate agreement then sometimes days, weeks or even months later the seller might reconsider and try to get back to you.

But we've always had pretty immediate responses and back & forth negotiations rarely took more than a day or two once all the survey information was in.

Hopefully this one wasn't "THE" boat for you.
__________________
Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 10-13-2009
DrB DrB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 966
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 8
DrB will become famous soon enough
Yeah, seems a little long, but.....

If the seller is out of town or the boat is owned by multiple parties, then that could be a reason for the delayed response.

If this deal falls through, next time put in to offer, "Offer is only valid for 48 hours" or some other clause like that specifying a time limit. This shows both the broker and seller you are looking for an immediate decision and not to be played in a bidding war.

DrB
__________________
If you liked my advice/response, give me some rep points. If you didn't......well what do you expect, it was free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 10-13-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 515
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Keep looking. The seller may be waiting to see if they get other offers, or attempting to give the impression that they aren't motivated to sell it.
A ploy that sometimes works, mostly though,(when used on me) backfires. I've had several late responses to an offer, on several occasions they've inadvertantly given me a bargaining chip to get it lower than my first offer.
(What? Oh yeah, You mean that boat! Well, I haven't heard from you and I'm talking to someone right now about a different boat, can I call you back when I'm through?)

Ken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 10-13-2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 5,823
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Call the broker and with draw your offer, chances are that will get a response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 10-13-2009
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 825
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 9
chris_gee is on a distinguished road
It is a written offer with no time clause. My understanding is that it remains binding on you until rejected or withdrawn by you in writing. You can withdraw it in writing and substitute a new time limited offer. A verbal withdrawal is not sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 10-13-2009
JohnRPollard's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 5,680
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 10
JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
It is a written offer with no time clause. My understanding is that it remains binding on you until rejected or withdrawn by you in writing. You can withdraw it in writing and substitute a new time limited offer. A verbal withdrawal is not sufficient.
If it is a standard brokerage P&S agreement, it should contain a "Time is of the Essence" clause, which while somewhat nebulous is interpreted in the U.S. to require a response within a reasonable time period, or the offer becomes void. But you're right, the best way to withdraw the offer is to to do it in writing.

Since it's not a case of the sellers being away on vacation, etc, call the broker tomorrow and tell him/her your offer is withdrawn if not responded to by close of business. Then if no reply is forthcoming, follow it up with a fax cancelling the offer.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 10-13-2009
doubleeboy's Avatar
Senior Moment
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA -Eugene OR
Posts: 598
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
When we bought our boat last winter we asked if owner was available. When told yes we made offer valid for 48 hours, with understanding that our 10% deposit was to be returned at that time if negotiations were not proceeding.

When they counter offered we were given 48 hours, when we counter offered again same deal. It took 5 days till we had come to agreement. Then of course the survey and sea trial, where we beat em up on price some more.

michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Her first time cardiacpaul herSailNet 47 01-20-2008 10:04 AM
HELP!! Question about making an offer with sellers broker Herbstr Boat Review and Purchase Forum 20 06-27-2002 02:08 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.