SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Any ideas why there is a separation in this keel?

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  scottyt 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Can I ask you something?
I'm considering this boat (hunter 197?) but keel looks funny, like it was cut in 2 parts and welded together. Is this normal?

Thank you for your time,

Ant

#4 ·
Waterant,

Are you referring to the more-or-less horizontal line across the keel in the photo?

I'm not specifically familiar with that model Hunter but, speaking generically, the line in that photo appears to be the seam between the lower cast (lead or iron, probably) ballast portion of the keel and the upper "keel stub." The upper keel stub would be part of the molded fibreglass hull. The lower ballast portion of the keel (below the line) would normally be bolted to the keel stub.

What you see there is not unusual at all. Although, many folks do try to fair out that seam between the two sections of the keel so it is less conspicuous.

#7 ·
From the pic it does not look like there is any cracking along the horizontal joint line so it should be firmly fixed.

However it will have keel bolts and these can give problems at that age. It would be worth your while to remove one if you can and check for wasting.

#8 ·
Wasting Question

I recently had a pre-purchase survey performed where the surveyor writes:

"There was a slight gap between the hull and keel, some rust stains were visable. Pull the keel bolts and check for wasting. Reinstall and tighten to manufactures specification, re-seal seams as needed."

Question 1.
What does wasting look like and to what part does the wasting pertain too?

Question 2.
Is there a product that I can apply to prevent or slow down the wasting process.

Question 3.
Do you take one bolt off at a time, check and retighted to maintain alignment.

Question 4.
What product and process is suggested to reseal seam. I am assuming this pertains to the exterior.

The boat is a 1987 Beneteau First 305. Fresh water boat, iron keel.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may provide.

#9 ·
Rust stains from a poorly sealed iron keel are not unusual. Though I can't say I've heard that particular "wasting" term, I'd expect the surveyor was concerned about corrosion and loss of material of the keel bolts themselves. A proper fix/check would probably involve dropping the keel - a fairly major operation obviously.

The keelbolts ought to be SS, so the rust itself is likely coming from the iron keel. Whether you could "pull one keelbolt at a time" will depend on how they were installed in the keel in the first place (ie, drilled and tapped, or cast in place)

If your insurance company takes the surveyor at his/her word, this could be an expensive recommendation.

btw - you probably should have started your own thread for this.

#12 ·
yes that is the keel joint. hunter at some point changed the fiberglass stub ad made it shorter. this made the keel taller but it had the same draft. either way is really fine, except your bilge is deeper than the later ones, like mine.

i have read that some people say yours is better due to how the fiberglass flexes when you touch bottom.

i dont know but you should strip the paint, dig out that ever they tried to fill the joint with and refill and paint the bottom. if only for looks, or to see if any water has gotten in the joint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.