SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Performance keel or standard Keel? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/59135-performance-keel-standard-keel.html)

wakesurfboy 10-21-2009 07:46 PM

Performance keel or standard Keel?

I order a 2010 Jeanneau 39 DS with the new performance package (previously available only with the 39I) and I have two keel options:

1. Standard keel
- Cast iron fin keel with elongated bulb and exterior epoxy barrier coat
- 6’7”
- Weight 5026 Lbs

2. Performance keel
- Cast iron fin keel with elongated bulb and exterior epoxy barrier coat
- profiled leading and trailing edges
- 7’3”
- Weight - 4631 Lbs

The Shoal draft keel (4' 11", 5628 lbs) is much shorter permitting more possibilities in the south Florida or Bahamas but I have to remove the performance option to get it. The performance option includes:

- Genoa tracks adjustable Harken lead cars with control line lead aft to cockpit;
- Performance mast SELDEN aluminum with double spreaders, spinnaker track mounted forward
- Backstay adjustable via a SELDEN adjuster
- Genoa furler Facnor® racing series with removable drum, double sail slot and aerodynamic profile, mounted to stemhead fitting,furling line lead aft to roof winch
- Running rigging Dyneema® mainsail halyard, genoa halyard, mainsheet, genoa sheets
- Performance mainsail Prestige series tri-radail with sandwich construction of double taffeta layers for form stability, 2 automatic reefs
- Performance furling genoa 125% tri-radail with sandwich construction of double taffeta layers for form stability and Sunbrella® UV luff protection, Rutgerson® stainless steel eyes
- Feathering propeller, 3-blade, Flex-o-Fold

My first move was taking the standard keel by default but I realize the performance keel is only 8" more and 400 lbs less! I know this choice is all related to water dept but my research results tell me I will not go anywhere further with the 6'7" compare to 7'3" so why not choose performance?

Need help to choose before they built the boat!

paulk 10-21-2009 10:16 PM

I'd agree with you and go for the performance. 8" of difference may enable you to miss a rock or two, but a 1' wave or a wake would remove that advantage quite fast, and you'd hit. You're certainly going to pick the same anchorages in any case. In the Bahamas there isn't a lot of tide. Being 400 pounds lighter, along with all the other go-fast gear, will definitely make a difference in how the boat reacts, and your the deeper, probably narrower keel will help improve upwind performance as well.
Of course, if you REALLY wanted to improve performance, you could have them get you a lead keel. THAT would enable you to reduce the wetted surface too, and not have to worry about rust so much.

wakesurfboy 10-21-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulk (Post 534461)
I'd agree with you and go for the performance. 8" of difference may enable you to miss a rock or two, but a 1' wave or a wake would remove that advantage quite fast, and you'd hit. You're certainly going to pick the same anchorages in any case. In the Bahamas there isn't a lot of tide. Being 400 pounds lighter, along with all the other go-fast gear, will definitely make a difference in how the boat reacts, and your the deeper, probably narrower keel will help improve upwind performance as well.
Of course, if you REALLY wanted to improve performance, you could have them get you a lead keel. THAT would enable you to reduce the wetted surface too, and not have to worry about rust so much.

Great, so we are two people with the same opinion... I double check for lead keel but not available from Jeanneau.

My friend who help me in this purchase as a F1 boat with Kevlar stuff but for me, the deck saloon aspect was more important then .05 knots!!! So I'm not a performance super freak but I like to have the best sailing capabilities boat with less inconvenient as possible.

Like I said, 8" is not much because I will start to freak when the depth indicator will shown 10 ft or less whatever if I have a 6'7" or 7'3" draft!!!!!

My very first choice was the shoal keel but too much sacrifices for that.

tommays 10-22-2009 06:25 PM

I race on a 7' draft boat a LOT and you gotta really be CAREFUL as with type of keel its easy to do catastrophic damage compared to and old style keel of similar draft

wakesurfboy 10-22-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommays (Post 534679)
I race on a 7' draft boat a LOT and you gotta really be CAREFUL as with type of keel its easy to do catastrophic damage compared to and old style keel of similar draft

The dealer tell me I will also have some problem to sale the boat with that kind of keel. My boat is not exactly a race boat so longer keel will push away buyer?

paulk 10-22-2009 07:09 PM

...Unless he thinks like you that 8" isn't worth 400 pounds of ballast. That's 400 pounds of cruising gear you could add to the Performance model you'd have, and still outsail your standard sistership, because you have a deeper keel.

Aupiipii 10-22-2009 07:16 PM

I will choose The Shoal draft keel option.

This boat is called a racer/cruiser. However, I see this boat more like a cruiser that can sail fast.

I also beleive that with a shoal draft keel the boat will be easier to sale in case you need later.

When I was searching for my boat, I always have discarded all boats with a draft of 5 and more.

I am absoluty not a racer. However, a couple of option from the performance package installed on your boat once build with a Shoal draft keel, you will have a good cruiser that you can race once in a while for fun.

Just my opinion.

wakesurfboy 10-22-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aupiipii (Post 534694)
I am absoluty not a racer. However, a couple of option from the performance package installed on your boat once build with a Shoal draft keel, you will have a good cruiser that you can race once in a while for fun.

Shoal draft keel is not available with the performance package. All option in the performance package is not available individually so it will cost me A LOT to replace the blade, the mast, main sail, genoa, etc...

I'm not a racer too but after a while with my boat, I will certainly like to go faster and the performance package is the way to go for me.

blt2ski 10-23-2009 12:26 AM

If you go to jeanneau owners network - Home there are over a dozen folks that regularly post about sailing there 36i's, both P and non P models. Overall, folks are not liking the shoal draft, prefering the std at a minimum, or the deeper version overall. For me, it would be a P deep draft keel model. There are a couple that are racing there rigs, along with a number that have done some pretty nifty mods to them too. Right now that sight has more 36i folks posting, with 39i behind, then different versions of the DS models.

and if you go to http://jeanneau.tripod.com/ you can find polars for the 36i vs 36iP in the specs area. If you can not find them, email or pm me and I can send you the pdf files that are on that site.

Marty
a Moderator on that site

tager 10-23-2009 03:44 AM

I'd go for the high performance keel. Obviously you like performance, so why not go all the way?