SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Who has a C&C 38 Mk 1

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  paulk 
#1 ·
Can you give me a review of the boat?

Thanks Cliff

#2 ·
I'd get a copy of Practical Sailor's Used Boat Buyer's Guide. I don't have a C&C 38 M1 or otherwise, but it seems to be essentially a fairly hefty IOR design. Big genny, little main, wide beam and pinched ends. Goes upwind nicely, as you might expect. Can be squirrely downwind w/a chute, as you might expect. Needs a big crew to hold her flat and handle the big headsail changes and gybing the chute. Her sailhandling equipment is designed to deal with major forces. The boom, pole, fittings, rings, cleats, blocks and lines are not undersized. Down below there's a lot of space, but it's mostly all devoted to the main cabin. The forward v-berth offers a little privacy, but I can't remember if the head opens into it, or into the passageway. I do remember thinking that having lots of overhead handholds would be important to keep crew from flying 15' across the cabin. The galley and nav station w/quarterberth are aft; both seemed to be comfortably big enough. If the boat's been pushed hard in racing, you might want to investigate the usual suspects: keelbolts, compaction at the join of the hull and trailing edge of the keel (due to hitting something with the leading edge of the keel), bulkheads, deck and/or hull delamination, etc. They're pretty boats, but the small main would seem to make her difficult to balance, and would make downwind performance less than it could be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.