Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Pearson vs Whitby

A:

Coming out of a 424 cockpit, you''re nowhere near the mizzen boom, which is aft of the mast, which is aft of the companionway.

Yes, the mizzen mast stands right there in the cockpit. It provides a stout handhold when scanning the horizon, it makes a mizzen staysail possible in light airs, it''s where you can hang all your electronic goodies (radar, TV antenna, wind generator, various antenna), and it provides a foot brace when heeling. The mast is a good partner...it''s all the strings and wire that seem to encumber things!

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Pearson vs Whitby

Re: garyp''s comment, that''s a good point. I can confirm the Rasmus doesn''t have a walk-thru because we lived aboard one for 3 years. It''s cockpit was far lower than other C/C designs, meaning entrance to either cabin was only two short steps down. And the cockpit well had deep, deep coamings that, along with the hard dodger, made it very suitable for offshore work. It was also a great passagemaker.

If it wasn''t for the side galley, it would be even better.

Jack
Old 01-17-2003

namaste04 is on a distinguished road
Pearson vs Whitby

You might want to look at a Mariner 39, if you can find any for sale. We looked at both Pearson 424s and Whitby 42s early in our boat search, we ended up buying the Mariner. It''s a VERY similar layout to the Whitby 42, except everythings just a little bit smaller (which we liked, moving up from a Tartan 30 to the 40-foot range was daunting in terms of our ability to handle a larger boat!). There are 2 companionways in the cockpit, one to the aft cabin, although there is also a walk-through (or should I say crouch-through) passageway below. Very good tankage, though much of it is under the settees, which robs storage space for long-term cruising. As previously noted, there''s a serious lack of topsides storage: one cockpit locker. I believe that''s a problem with most CC boats; everythings a trade-off!

What we REALLY liked was the underbody: a fin keel and a beefy skeg-hung rudder. We sailed a Tartan 30 before and maneuverability and accelleration can''t compare, but I suspect the difference would have been greater on a Whitby. She could use more sail, though. We''re hoping a new full-batten main instead of the hollow-roach 20-yr-old main she had will help. You can see the boat at http://www.sailnamaste.com.

BTW we also looked at a Hughes/Northstar 40 (got all excited cuz its a Sparkman & Stephens design but TERRIBLE joinery work and the one we looked at was in awful shape) as well as a S&S designed Italian center cockpit ketch called an Alpa (41, I think.) That was a nice boat. Check it out if there are any on the market. Sometimes listed incorrectly as Alpha 41.

Good luck, have lots of fun on the search!
Stacey
Old 01-21-2003

Lahr is on a distinguished road
Pearson vs Whitby

As a Pearson 422 owner,I can report this is a fine mid-cockpit boat. There are 422''s available that are optionally sloop/cutter rigged at the owner''s whim. As for deck stowage, we''ve found a place for everything, and cut back on unnecessaries.
Old 01-21-2003

Lahr is on a distinguished road
Pearson vs Whitby

As a Pearson 422 owner,I can report this is a fine mid-cockpit boat. There are 422''s available that are optionally sloop/cutter rigged at the owner''s whim. As for deck stowage, we''ve found a place for everything, and cut back on unnecessaries.
Old 01-23-2003

tho52mas is on a distinguished road
Pearson vs Whitby

I have an Irwin 37'' cc. You can go from one end of the boat to the other with no problem. She heals 30 degrees vs a aft cockpit doing 20. (so you just reef). There is tons of room below so sail stowage is not a problem, especially if its only you and the wife. I use the bow for storage or the aft head, if necessary. One of my two lockers has the extra set of sails and oil and such. Is it a little wetter? Somewhat. Would I go with an aft cockpit? Heavens no. Just got a Cruising WOrld mag and 90% of the ads are center cockpits. Just came from the Cleveland Boat show and didn''t see a one. I like the room, convenience and design of a cc vs. and aft.