Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009

brainiac is on a distinguished road
Outboard recommendations for newbie

Hello all,

The other day I became a new sailboat owner. I'm pretty new at this - I sailed only a few times - and although I spent plenty of time on the water as a kid, this is my first boat of my own.

The boat is a 78 MacGregor 22'. It needs an outboard motor. I'm looking for recommendations on purchasing a new motor. How big? What make & model?

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2009

ahab211 is on a distinguished road
yamaha longshafts are good. 4 cycles are even better. Good luck
Old 10-24-2009

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiac View Post

The boat is a 78 MacGregor 22'. It needs an outboard motor. I'm looking for recommendations on purchasing a new motor. How big? What make & model?

Cheers!
Shouldn't need more than a 4 or 5 hp. OB unless you're dealing with some strong currents in your area. I had a great little 4 hp, 4 stroke Yamaha on a full keeled Typhoon (2K lbs). Plenty of power against the wind on the ICW...so it should do a good job for you on your Mac-22.
Old 10-24-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't got much larger than a Tohatsu 3.5 HP four-stroke on that boat. Anything larger is going to be about 70 lbs or more and cause the boat to squat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-25-2009

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
If you will be using the boat in relatively open water, fighting chop, wind and current on a worst-case basis, I suggest 5-6 HP.

If you are on protected inland water, no current and modest chop, I'd say 3.5 HP will do it.

If your runs under power are less than a 3 or 4 miles and you are daysailing, you may prefer an integral built-in tank... no auxiliary tanks or hoses to clotter the cockpit... fill it at launch and you're good for the day. My 3.3 HP 2-stroke runs full throttle for about 50 minutes on one tank (just over a quart of fuel mix)... plenty for my lake sailing.

2-strokes (no longer sold new but used are listed everywhere) are simpler and lighter, but noisier, smokier and less fuel efficient than 4-strokes.
Old 10-26-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
If you go with a 4 HP Tohatsu (57 lbs)has full FNR you give up reverse on the 3.5 with the 5.9 pitch high trust prop it will move pretty much anything

I just used my 4hp Tohatsu 2 stroke with the 5.9 prop to move and 8000# Cal 29 12 miles at 4.5 knots

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-26-2009
smillinjack

smillinjack is on a distinguished road
I bought a wellcraft 22 and put a Honda 100 on it that I bought for $350 and it works great , It weighs in at 74 lbs.
Old 10-26-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Keep the weight of the engine you choose under 60# because that is about the most you will be able to lug onto the stern and mount. They get pretty heavy and awkward to move around with the long leg. You will be lucky to get 5-6 HP under 60#. Nissan used to make a 2-stroke 9.8 that weighed in at 58#, sure would like to get one.
Old 10-27-2009
smillinjack

smillinjack is on a distinguished road
I also have a small 4 hp ,it pushes the boat very good also. I like the 10 hp Honda because it has a charging system. I like the big prop it is very good for pushing you out of the inlets. The little 4hp is for good days. SEE YA.
Old 10-27-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
My merit 25 has a 3.5hp on it. No reverse but it's not a problem. With a clean bottom she'll go 4.5-5 knots. Which is plenty unless the waves get big n' nasty.