Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009

MazeRat7 is on a distinguished road
C36 Tall Rig

I have the opportunity to get into a Catalina 36 tall rig that is really tricked out for a really good price. But I have some serious concerns.

1) I sail on a lake in Central Texas that was once a river (so it meanders a lot) has extremely variable winds (both directional and velocity), and anywhere you go up and down its 70+ nm path takes multiple tacks.

2) I've been sailing a Catalina 22 single handed on this lake but have NEVER sailed anything in the 30+ foot range single handed.

Those are my concerns. Lake sailing and jumping from a 22' to a 36' with no stops in between.

I love the wide beam and roomy cabin of this boat as I love to spend weekends with my SO just getting away. I really love the heavier displacement and the idea of not being the target of drunken power boaters who like to see how much they can make me bounce in my 22 when the fly by in their 40+ ' cabin cruisers. I wont retire for another 13+ years and want to get a boat I can "grow" into over this period of time.

I have a friend that is a USCG Master and ASA instructor that will help me as needed, but is it realistic I will be able to single hand this beast or should I pass and look for something smaller?

I'm not sure I'm making sense, but I don't want to be "one of those fools" that goes and buys a big boat and can never really use it. ? Can I adjust over the next several years from sailing a 22' dingy to something this size ? Any advise is welcome, still have not pulled the trigger on the purchase but its all set up.

Thanks in advance,

MZr7
1985 Catalina 36 Tall #404
s/v Peace of Mind
Austin, Tx.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Its a BITCH grinding in big jibs on a 36' boat

What happens on my J24 by hand takes a #48 winch with a two hand winch handle and a LOT of grunt .

That being said the J24 is being sold to move to a 29' so it easy to bring new people sailing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-26-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Given that many new sailors jump into this game at 36 feet or so, I'd say you've got a leg up in having the experience of the smaller boat.

What year is the C36? They are all pretty nice family cruising boats, but the MkII editions have made some significant improvements (with the attendant higher price) Larger engine, even bigger cockpit, open transom etc but at quite a premium. Earlier models still have a good cockpit and the great interior layout.

If you're sailing a lot singlehanded sticking with a smaller headsail will make things easier. Overall I think this would be a good move if you can support the boat and have a place to moor it. It's definitely a good boat to 'grow into' over the years till you retire.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-26-2009

Here are the summary details. Its an 1985 model.

Quote:
This Catalina 36 (Tail Rig) is ready to set sail. It comes with many options including: Garmin GPS, reverse cycle air/heat w/dehumidifier, refrigeration, marine head, stainless steel BBQ unit, full cockpit cushions, dodger, sun screen canvas package, 125% furling jib, cruising spinnaker, bimini top, full boom cover, rolling furling cover, Navman navigation gear, dual dining package, large galley, aft sleeper, large v-berth, ample storage, hanging lockers, drawers forward and aft. Powered by a 1985 Universal diesel (30hp).
I would add, the boat is pretty much spotless from what I can tell. The broker has already hauled it out, refinished all the bright work, patched several fiberglass "dings", cleaned, buffed, and polished the bottom. Sails, sheets, etc look really good. I've got a guaranteed slip (at obviously more $$$/mo than I'm paying for my 22) but since I have a trailer, I figured I would bring the 22 home and either sell it as-is or maybe keep it around - for what I don't know yet. Other than I have an soft spot and many fine memories around the Sunset Cat.

The owner really wants to sell and its about 10k cheaper than many I have seen on-line. I think they are asking a bit much so when I make the offer it will be less than and asking price for sure. Depending on what the surveyor has to say of course.

MZr7
s/v Peace of Mind
Austin, Tx.
Old 10-26-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Our son recently bought an '83 that's a bit of a fixer-upper - and the price reflected it - but now they've got a pretty good platform to build on for future family cruising. He has already raced it in a singlehanded round-the-buoys race and done pretty well under handicap.

The 125% jib will be good for you as far as shorthanded sailing, though a tad underpowered in the light stuff.

If it surveys well, sounds like opportunity knocking!

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 10-26-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Does the boat have an autopilot? That would certainly ease things a bit.

I'm pretty much a neophyte sailor but don't know how comfortable I'd be sailing my boat single handed in the conditions you describe. I could see myself attempting it on the bay if the conditions were ideal but I'd probably end up staying at the dock or motoring if I had to be somewhere.

I wouldn't want to talk you out of a C36TR as we are happy as can be with ours, you just need to get your SO checked out on the helm so you can do the grinding and you should be set.

Good Luck and let us know where it turns out.
Old 10-26-2009

Haven't taken it out for a sail yet so I don't know about the autopilot. We are planning something in the coming week and I have ask my friend to be the Captain, I'm crew, and of course the broker has to be there.

When I was last on the boat the one thing that bothered me was that I had to step OVER the lazaretts to get from behind the wheel and reach the various cam locks mounted on top of the cabin at the companion way. And yes, those jib sheet winches are massive compared to what I have on my 22. I'm a pretty strong fellow at 52, 5' 10", and 165 lbs... but damn that is a huge main/jib and as was pointed out.. grinding that genoa could be problematic. But you know I can more than likely deal with that given time.

My biggest concern is how wind changes so dramatically on this lake. As my friend says.. "If you can get from point A to point B on this lake with all its craziness, then you can pretty much sail anywhere". Not sure if he is right, but considering his experience and credentials, I believe him.

What if I'm at the helm and we get one of the crazy Texas thunderstorms with the micobursts. On the 22 all the controls are right there so Zepher is somewhat kept in check. But if I have to move forward in a few seconds to unsheet a main, adjust the headsail, etc ...all the while trying to get from behind the wheel ?

I'm hoping that the larger displacement will make the boat much less "tender" than I am used to and thus giving me more time to make adjustments when "things change". Maybe that is not the case.

Like I said.. I've never sailed a boat this size and don't know how they handle. But I do know my abilities and if this is just a bigger version of what I'm used to. I'm in. If I "MUST" have crew to be safe... then I need to reconsider.

MZr7
s/v Peace of Mind
Austin, Tx.
Old 10-26-2009
Just another Moderator

Does your SO not participate in the handling of the boat? Failing an autopilot, all you really need is someone who can tend the wheel for the moments you need to do other things. As a last resort the binnacle wheel lock might help you out some too - but for both your sakes I'd strongly recommend that she be taught how to help out, at least in some minimal short term way. In reality she should be competent enough in her own right (eventually) to turn the boat around and pick you up if you happen to go over the side - or at least be able to stop the boat quickly.

True, the C36 is not particularly well set up for sail trim from the helm. I reckon you could get the headsails figured out, but the mainsheet being forward on the cabin top is not ideal (my strong preference is for a traveler/mainsheet in the cockpit for this reason)

I have had a little experience with the unpredictable lake sailing you describe, and while it certainly ups the ante, this boat will be much stiffer and more controllable than your C22 - the keel alone probably weighs twice or more what your entire C22 weighs.

The '83 comes with oversize 3 speed primary winches - if they are on the '85 model then there's no reason to worry about being able to grind in a 125% headsail.

Old 10-26-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Lines lead aft help tremendously when single handing. 36 tall rig jib is big but you "should" have it rolled in somewhat when you "anticipate" higher gusts. I don't know it the C36 would lend itself to a self tacking jib set up but that could be a solution too. The wheel, you can get a folding wheel. Yes, larger boats are way more forgiving when the wind pipes up. I've seen 30-38 ft boats round up in a blow when the smaller boats are getting knocked down. Of course the helmsperson's ego and experiance have more to do with all that then the boat. (imho)

after thought! Timing a tack can do allot to save time and effort on the jib sheets. It takes a bit of practice (and speed) but one can have most of the jib sheet slack taken up before the wind fills the jib.

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 10-26-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Oh BTW
Old 10-26-2009

Faster,

Thanks.. your wisdom is helping. Yes she knows all about MOB drills and routinely helms the 22, knows how to start the motor, drop sails (on her head since I don't have a topping lift..etc). I am encouraging her to enroll in my friends ASA class, but her attitude is "why", you always take care of everything.

If, in your opinion, is to not "lock" the wheel and have someone there to steer under my direction, then maybe this will work - she certainly can do that. I will never forget the night she ask to drive the boat back to the slip and land it herself. I figured WTF, everybody needs a shot, and she nailed it. She had watched what I had done for so long (and according to her rehearsed it in her mind at night) that she did it perfect.

She still has issues understanding "wind" and "sails".. but I'm working on that. On the upside... we are a great team and makes sailing a pleasure. She is just really unsure of herself, hates heeling, and is afraid we are going to "tump". She had never been on a sailboat until she met me 2 yrs ago. The 22 was a mind-reset. The 36 is likely to scare her away. (until she sees the galley, salon, and vberth ).

I think I'm almost there. Sounds like if take it slow, learn the boat, and in a few years I might be able to take it out in 25+ winds with some humble confidence.

So far nobody has said your a fool... (like trying to sail my 22 in "blue water")... *tee hee.

Thanks everyone... keep the comments coming. I'm meeting with my friend next week and of course will heed his advice strongly. I'm not one to ask for help unless I know I'm in over my head....as I am now.

Thanks again.... Sailnet is a great place to vet ideas and get honest feedback.

MZr7
s/v Peace of Mind
Austin, Tx.