Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Cal25 vs Hunter 25 vs US Yachts 25

Given the choice of the above three and assuming a similar condition/price, which would be the better boat for cruising the PNW (mostly around eastern Van Island/Gulfs)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Based on sound construction, Cal 25, but it will be an older boat.

Based on likely volume, I'd guess the Hunter 25 (haven't been on one)

I'd pass on the US25 - really small cockpit, construction issues as well.

That said, any of these (if in good condition) are up to your job description.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-26-2009

Greenflash35 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Cal.
Old 10-26-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
I can't speak for the cal or the hunter, but I do know a little about US yachts. Like Faster said, the whole USY line was known for small cockpits, but it does give you more interior room. I can sleep 6 on my boat, but I can't sail 6. Go figure. Poor construction is also a factor. The hull layup is very good as well as the deck construction. They did a lousy job with the ports. They used cheap ports and windows, as well as going cheap on a few other items. I got my boat for a song because of window leaks that went unrepaired, and the floor as well as the deck core rotted out.

The upside is that the boat is a very nice sailing boat, and relatively fast for a cruiser. Given 3 boats in comparable condition, you should find that the USY is much cheaper because of Bayliner's reputation for building lousy sailboats. The Bayliner buccaneer line were pretty bad, and the USY line got some of their reputation by proxy even though they weren't nearly as bad as the buccs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 10-26-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
HeHe... I figured that would flush you out, John!

I do think, though, that the 27 is more than "2 feet bigger" than the 25, which was the model the OP asked about. And I know you've done a ton of work; your boat is not exactly an "out-of-the-box" US yacht.

With designers like Gary Mull and Doug Peterson the US yacht series has to be several steps up from the much maligned Buccaneers (btw the first Peterson boat was originally marketed as the Buccaneer 295 - it actually had a nicer rig than it's US version the US 30) but that being said they are also from the heavily IOR influenced years, c/w those possibly nasty habits - not fatal- but there nonetheless. (much like our own present boat too, btw...)

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 10-26-2009

To give you some more info:

The (no idea of year but probably) Cal 25' CAL 25 SAILBOAT IN GOOD CONDITION Malahat (including Shawnigan Lake & Mill Bay), Victoria
The 1975 Hunter 1975 25' Hunter Outside Victoria, Victoria
The 1985 USY 25 foot united sailboat North Saanich & Sidney , Victoria

Old 10-27-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Looking at pics of the 3, I would be inclined to take a good look at the USY and the Hunter. They both look to be well maintained boats. The interior of the USY appears to be in very good condition, but there are no interior pics of the Hunter. The cal and the hunter have been on the market for a very long time as well, perhaps a sign that there may be problems not seen in the pictures.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 10-27-2009
Just another Moderator

That era of Hunter boats have a pretty good reputation; the US 25 seems to have been looked after and seems well equipped. The Cal will save you some money, leaving leftovers for additional goodies.

I guess you'll have to check them all out and see which one 'speaks' to you. Or keep them all in mind and watch the listings over the winter as you sail OPBs - and be ready to pounce when the moment's right.

Old 10-27-2009

Yeah, guess so. The US appeals partly because it's that much newer but also because it comes with the slip paid until end of March which is worth best part of $1000 straight away and would perhaps give me near zero cost for a winters sailing.
The Hunter looks pretty tidy, I have a couple of interior photos and it seems OK inside too but there's the cost of getting it back in the water on top.
The Cal seems to be good in terms of sailing ability and general robustness but probably needs the most work to get back seaworthy.
Oh I don't know, I'll probably just keep an eye on them, sail for free on OPBs for a bit and see how the finances/weather/state of mind change over the next few months.

Old 10-27-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
paul

There is a fellow that races his us25 here in the seattle area a bunch. I have an email for him if you want to get more info from an owner. He overall seems pretty pleased with his boat.

PM me and I will get you an email.

marty