Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
The Wilderness 21 is a very neat boat, but really,, nothing like a Contessa 32.
It's tough, wet, with low freeboard, good sailing qualities, fin keel (points well), quick for its ballast ratio, with exceptional capsize screening numbers for its length. They share a reputation for being among the most seaworthy vessels of their length and weight while remaining pleasant to sail.

*shrug* Among 20-21 footers, find me a boat closer to the much-vaunted attributes of a Contessa 32. Not the Flicka; not the Mini 6.5.

BTW, The Wilderness 21 was designed by Chuck Burns and later sold as the Burns 21.

Also BTW: Capt Fred -- Do you own (and are trying to sell) a Rob Roy 23 named Fiddlestix? A truly pretty craft. But if so, it's good form to disclose to us gentle readers you have a vested interest in recommending we buy one.

Last edited by bobmcgov; 10-28-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
It's tough, wet, with low freeboard, good sailing qualities, fin keel (points well), quick for its ballast ratio, with exceptional capsize screening numbers for its length. They share a reputation for being among the most seaworthy vessels of their length and weight while remaining pleasant to sail.

*shrug* Among 20-21 footers, find me a boat closer to the much-vaunted attributes of a Contessa 32. Not the Flicka; not the Mini 6.5.

BTW, The Wilderness 21 was designed by Chuck Burns and later sold as the Burns 21.
Thanks for the correction re the designer (brain fart...).. and I take your points of similarity.. nevertheless they are very different hull forms and in that way are not very 'similar' boats!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-28-2009
1973 Morgan O/I 33

bjslife is on a distinguished road
I found a venture(macgregor) 24' with swing keel for $400 on craigslist and only had the washer on the swing keel leak once and was able to fix it when it was in the water plus i like the fact its stable towing and can be towed with a midsize v6 vehicle.
Old 10-28-2009

jagatnepal is on a distinguished road
Hey.....thanks everyone for info and thoughts...
Here's a list of what is available locally with a trailer included.
Feel free to comment
O'Day 22, Chrysler 22, Columbia 22, Luger Tradewind 26, Venture 22, Cat.Capri 22', Lancer 28', S2 24', Tanzer 22 Balboa 21

namaste
Old 10-28-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Pretty comprehensive list. I am a little surprised that there are no Catalina 22ís. I believe that there were over twenty thousand built so arguably the most popular boat in itís class. Bit of trivia, Frank Butler designed the Columbia 22 when he worked for them. Out of your list, I like the Capri 22 the best. It was designed by Gary Mull in collaboration with Frank. Mull also designed the Ranger 22 and the Santana 22. I like the Capri for itís fixed keel and (IMHO superior) cockpit layout. It rates about 30 seconds/mile faster than the swing keels and I think would be a blast to race the beer cans. The downside is there isnít much room in the cabin. But if you are looking for that trailerable pocket cruiser, you should expand your sites to the twenty five footers.
Old 10-28-2009

Capt.Fred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post

Also BTW: Capt Fred -- Do you own (and are trying to sell) a Rob Roy 23 named Fiddlestix? A truly pretty craft. But if so, it's good form to disclose to us gentle readers you have a vested interest in recommending we buy one.
bobmcgov, Hi, no I don't own the pretty Rob Roy "Fiddlesticks", but I do know the owner up in Fairhope and hope that boat doesn't leave this area. Mike is ready for a larger boat for his cruising plans and is reluctantly selling his Rob Roy 23. Darn, bobmcgov, you tricked me into almost giving that pretty boat a plug.
Capt.Fred: The designer and single handed builder of the 50' 23 ton cutter ketch y'awl "Daedalus" launched in 1977. The designer and builder of a self charging electric power plant in his Southern Cross 28 "Icarus". Presently outfitting a Rob Roy 23 "biophilia.net" for a return extended cruise up the rivers of Central America. I just want to be closer to the water! Thanks for the query.
"It is better to be a hasbeen than a never hasbeen".

Last edited by Capt.Fred; 10-28-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-28-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagatnepal View Post
Hey.....thanks everyone for info and thoughts...
Here's a list of what is available locally with a trailer included.
Feel free to comment
O'Day 22, Chrysler 22, Columbia 22, Luger Tradewind 26, Venture 22, Cat.Capri 22', Lancer 28', S2 24', Tanzer 22 Balboa 21

namaste
What sort of keel on the Tanzer 22, any idea? It certainly meets your stoutness criterion: 3200 lbs for a 22 foot boat, half of that as ballast! Yet its hull form is easily driven. It's a quick boat when the breeze is up. But that is a problem with the T22 -- it is so heavy, it might struggle in your light summer winds. I'd want a 300 sqft nylon drifter on that puppy. You'll need a butch truck to tow it; prolly over 5000# on the trailer. Likewise on the Balboa 21: robust, but heavy & undercanvassed. T22's a better sailer.

You really have a fascinating set of requirements, & I'm interested to see what boats people come up with. Your needs aren't mutually exclusive per se, but they do stretch out in divergent ways. For example, PNW suggests deep keel; but you want easy trailering. You need a boat that is good in light air, but one that can take the storms and swells you will encounter. This is a fun challenge. What about a ComPac 23? Sturdy, sits low on a trailer (shoal keel), classic looks. Slower than heck, but who's in a hurry? Not common in the PNW, however.
Old 10-28-2009

Tanzer 22 is a fixed keel ( yr.1973). The S2 is also fixed keel.
My budget is low and ComPac 23 is very high, I believe? & haven't seen a Compac 23 listed.
Yes..there are some Catalinas' listed and it's on my list. I understood that Capri 22' was under the Catalina production but didn't realize "Venture" was a MacGregor??
There is also Ranger 22-24 but haven't seen any with trailers. Hoping to get the whole package as one purchase to save some $$ rather than piecemeal.
By local market, I mean Vancouver Island , Puget Sound, Portland, Vancouver area.
thanks for your suggestions - hope to buy in November and work on boat in backyard and launch in March. I plan to set up mast pulley system to lift mast solo.
To err is human....
to arrrggghhh is Pirate.
Old 11-07-2009

LakeEscape is on a distinguished road
Since you are up in the NW, take a look at the San Juans, from Clark. There are a good number of these boats in that region and pleanty of support. Trailerable, great performance and good accomodations. I have one and it is a blast to sail.

Good luck and Fair Winds

LakeEscape
on Lake Norman
NC
Old 11-07-2009

Yes....SanJauns are around

thanks for the suggestions re: S.J's.....I see quite a few around the docks.
And I have heard good things from the owners....
I will add to my list.....
cheers....j.nepal