Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2009

wundrbar is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear you had the same problem with Hunter Marine hulls cracking in cold temperatures Michael K. I suspect you are right and that I could do some makeshift patchwork on the hull. However, i wouldn' feel comfortable sailing it anymore - judging by the extent of the cracking, I don't think the hull is structurally sound anymore. And I wouldn't want to sell the boat and subject another sailor to this poorly manufactured piece of junk!
Old 12-19-2009

Garffin is on a distinguished road
Thank the Lord for my heavy,slow, very slow Bristol
Old 01-22-2010

For the dozens of you who have experienced mysterious and severe cracking of your Hunter ACP Hulls over the winter there is now a place to register you complaints. Interest in this issue is growing at BoatUS.com. They have started an investigation. Click here to register your own personal experience to assist in the investigation:
BoatUS Consumer Affairs : Consumer Complaint Database
Old 01-22-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbr View Post
Hunter has already offered to fix his hull, which is nine years old, four years out of warranty. These boats cannot withstand storage in extreme temeperature swings due to the hull composition on the 170's and is stated in their manual.
It would be interesting to see what warnings are in the manual, I'd bet its a pretty vague and un-actionable caveat.

More interesting would be what Hunter says in their marketing material, what they show to a prospective buyer, say to one who lives in Alaska. Only an owner sees the manual...and anything at that point is simly corporate CYA.
Old 01-22-2010

Sailingfool: Perhaps not surprisingly, Hunter neglects to mention anything about cold temperature cracking in their marketing material. Instead, they chose to highlight postive features. Here is a direct lift from their brochure:

Impact resistant boat surface
The outer plastic surface of the structure works in combination with urethane foam backing to provide nearly 5 times the impact resistance of traditional fiberglass. Instead of thin brittle coating on the outside, the ABS backed Luran-S plastic is both thick and flexible. When an ACP boat is struck by an impact, the outer skin will flex slightly to absorb the energy. Flexing is much better than breaking. Next, the urethane foam backing supports the skin and diffuses the impact energy through a large area. Finally, the fiberglass backing holds the structure intact, thus preventing significant damage. Where a fiberglass boat might have a large crack or hole, an ACP boat will suffer no more than a surface scratch
Old 01-22-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
It would be interesting to see what warnings are in the manual, I'd bet its a pretty vague and un-actionable caveat.

CYA.
In part, the manual states " severe cracking may occur, due to the structural composition of the hull materials, when exposed to extreme temperatures..." and elsewhere, in different but equally explicit language, it warns of freezing temperatures causing cracking.

Hunter, as has been mentioned already, has and is covering damage due specifically to storage in clear contravention of warnings clearly indicated. I can't think of too many, if any, other manufacturers who would provide such support.

Methinks this is just another veiled attempt at Hunter bashing.
Old 01-29-2010

http://www.sailing-obsession.com/H170%20Manual.pdf

Hi K1vsk:

Above please find the link to a copy of the current Hunter 170 owners manual. Although mine is from 1998, the content is essentially the same. There is no warning that the boats might crack due to cold temperatures that I can see. Furthermore, isn't it a little too late to tell a cold climate customer that their boat might crack AFTER they purchase the boat and get handed their manual??????

And no, Hunter is NOT covering such damages as dozens of Hunter owners contest in numerous sailing forums. Just check out Hunterowners.com and search the forums under the term "hull crack".
Old 01-29-2010

Wundrbar
I infer Hunter has not responded to your satisfaction but I do know of a few folks, my son included, who have received excellent response from them including covering the damage to a boat FAR beyond it's 5 year warranty lifetime. Obviously I have no idea about your circumstance but success is often a function of how you ask. I'm not implying you were anything but professional but often these complaints are from people who make totally unreasonable demands and then complain about the treatment they self-inflicted upon themselves. Regardless, I would agree these warnings should have been done from the outset but then again, so should Toyota have done a better job prospectively in addressing their accelerator issues... another "too late" warning better now than never?

Re the manual, the only date I noted in your link was 2003, presumably prior to these issues arising? The current manual I have read is as I described not that it helps you any more than a new Toyota manual would help prior year owners forsee that issue.
Old 01-29-2010

Hi K1vsk:

I hear your point about ensuring the people take the proper approach initially with Hunter in order to get a favourable and appropriate response. In my case, I went through their normal customer service channels. It was only when they refused to do ANYTHING for me that I got more aggressive including taking them to Small Claims court here in Ontario.

I would be very interested in getting a copy of their latest owner manual. It appears they are admitting they have a problem with the ACP construction materials finally. If you are willing to somehow get a copy of it to me, I would be happy to cover any costs to do so (copying, postage, etc.). Just let me know. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2010

The manual is my son's and therefore not readily available to me. I will be visiting him mid-February and will bring a copy of it home. If you are still without it by the end of Feb., send me a private message and I'll scan the relevant parts for you.
Closed Thread