Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by wundrbar View Post
Hi K1vsk:
In my case, I went through their normal customer service channels. It was only when they refused to do ANYTHING for me that I got more aggressive including taking them to Small Claims court here in Ontario.

Wundrbar,

Lets stop the games. Your statement above is misleading and you know it. Eddie Breeden of Hunter offered to FIX your WELL out of warranty hull.

All you had to do was ship it to Hunter for a free fix. Hmm, a boat, years out of warranty, and the company is going to fix it for free... Seems like a fair deal to me?

You thought the request, that you get your out of warranty boat to them, for the FREE repair, was a ridiculous request so here you are, still bashing Hunter for not fixing your boat that was well beyond and out of warranty and also stored uncovered and filled with snow in Canada...

The whole story, your words, is on SBO and YOU openly admited that Eddie offered to fix your hull but that you were unwilling to eat the shipping cost or find a creative way to get your 17 footer to them for a FREE repair.

Now you're over here saying Hunter "refused to do ANYTHING"...

Quote:

The boat was 9 years old. The "expressed" hull warranty from Hunter is 5 years. However, here in Canada (and many US states as well), there are laws to protect consumers from defective goods and deceptive practices and these invalidate any manufacturer's attempts to limit liability to defined terms.
Quote:
Sorry just getting caught up on this thread. I can't help but share my thoughts when I read the comment about Eddie Breeden. Talking to Eddie reminds me of why I DISLIKE these guys so much. He's the guy who said he would fix my defective Hunter 170 if I paid to SHIP it to Florida and back.
Even at nine years old, or four years out of warranty, Hunter offered to fix this boat. Take a look below at how it was taken care of. Also check out the spar storage. There is neglect and there are manufacturer issues. I think Hunter went above and beyond offering to fix this hull for you in lieu of you simply getting it to them..

Photo From Wundrbar's Album:
Picasa Web Albums - p.eisenschmid - CanonEPP070204

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-30-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Interesting clarification of the REAL story here. Thanks for giving me a heads-up MaineSail so I don't waste any more of my time on this.

Old 01-29-2010
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
Wundrbar
I infer Hunter has not responded to your satisfaction but I do know of a few folks, my son included, who have received excellent response from them including covering the damage to a boat FAR beyond it's 5 year warranty lifetime. Obviously I have no idea about your circumstance but success is often a function of how you ask. I'm not implying you were anything but professional but often these complaints are from people who make totally unreasonable demands and then complain about the treatment they self-inflicted upon themselves. Regardless, I would agree these warnings should have been done from the outset but then again, so should Toyota have done a better job prospectively in addressing their accelerator issues... another "too late" warning better now than never?

Re the manual, the only date I noted in your link was 2003, presumably prior to these issues arising? The current manual I have read is as I described not that it helps you any more than a new Toyota manual would help prior year owners forsee that issue.
Ummm... What does the Toyota reference have to do with anything? Toyota isn't requiring owners to take their products back to the factory too be fixed. Many cars have issues that crop up over the years that need to be fixed due to safety issues caused by inferior parts or workmanship. They are all fixed free of charge at your local dealership. And these safety issues can crop up WELL AFTER the warranty is expired but that doesn't change the fact that they are FIXED BY THE MANUFACTURER.

Since we are throwing around specious comparisons I suppose if I sell you a hot water heater that has a faulty T&P valve that can cause it to explode; you as the customer should bring it back to me if it is out of warranty to be fixed? Of course I will fix it for free at a location convenient to me...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 01-29-2010
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Wundrbar,

Lets stop the games. Your statement above is misleading and you know it. Eddie Breeden of Hunter offered to FIX your WELL out of warranty hull.

All you had to do was ship it to Hunter for a free fix. Hmm, a boat, years out of warranty, and the company is going to fix it for free... Seems like a fair deal to me?

You thought the request, that you get your out of warranty boat to them, for the FREE repair, was a ridiculous request so here you are, still bashing Hunter for not fixing your boat that was well beyond and out of warranty and also stored uncovered and filled with snow in Canada...

The whole story, your words, is on SBO and YOU openly admited that Eddie offered to fix your hull but that you were unwilling to eat the shipping cost or find a creative way to get your 17 footer to them for a FREE repair.

Now you're over here saying Hunter "refused to do ANYTHING"...

Even at nine years old, or four years out of warranty, Hunter offered to fix this boat. Take a look below at how it was taken care of. Also check out the spar storage. There is neglect and there are manufacturer issues. I think Hunter went above and beyond offering to fix this hull for you in lieu of you simply getting it to them..
Your point of view...

Personally I agree with the OP. Telling a customer that a defective product needs to be shipped at the expense of more than 3 times the value of the product (stated by the manufacturer) is a little ludicrous. Especially given that the defect was not stated during purchase or in followup literature, I mean it's not too hard to imagine that the temperature might fluctuate outside... If at anytime the manufacturer had revised care and storage requirements for the product then I can see an argument but to follow the business practice of 'sell it and forget it' is pathetic and stupid in the litigious environment we live in.

And if storage was the issue why wouldn't Hunter just point to that in court and cry foul? It seems that you are muddying up the facts as much as the OP is.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 01-29-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by krozet View Post
Your point of view...

Personally I agree with the OP. Telling a customer that a defective product needs to be shipped at the expense of more than 3 times the value of the product (stated by the manufacturer) is a little ludicrous. Especially given that the defect was not stated during purchase or in followup literature, I mean it's not too hard to imagine that the temperature might fluctuate outside... If at anytime the manufacturer had revised care and storage requirements for the product then I can see an argument but to follow the business practice of 'sell it and forget it' is pathetic and stupid in the litigious environment we live in.

And if storage was the issue why wouldn't Hunter just point to that in court and cry foul? It seems that you are muddying up the facts as much as the OP is.
Did Hunter dictate how the boat was to ship, who would ship it or what the cost needed to be? My neighbor hips her car from Maine to Florida and back each year for $650.00. There are always shipping options and I have seen trailered boats shipping on car haulers many times.

Muddying the facts? I quoted Wundrbar's own "facts". He said, here on Sailnet, they/Hunter: "refused to do ANYTHING". That is factually untrue, based on his OWN admittance and own words, on this and another forum. They offered to fix his hull. His only responsibility was to get it there. That is not opinion it is exactly what Wundrbar wrote, before he said... "refused to do ANYTHING"...

There's no doubt these hulls have issues but Hunter has repaired and or replaced many of them and they offered to fix Wundrbar's even four years out of warranty. Very few manufacturers cover shipping costs in the warranty period, let alone out of the warranty period by almost double..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-29-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2010
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
Muddying the facts? I quoted Wundrbar's own "facts".
Really? I didn't see you quote where hunter required him to ship a 17 foot boat from Canada to Florida to get his 'free' repair, perhaps I missed it?

So you have a friend that ships a car from Maine to Florida... That is NOT the same as shipping a 17 foot boat that looks like it will fall apart at speed with some bumps. No reputable shipper is going to put that on a trailer and send it to Florida, it is going to require some strapping or something. Then there is the Boarder to cross where you can incur brokerage fees, paperwork needed, time wasted...

Don't get me wrong, I have no horse in this race. It's just a tad hypocritical to point out that the OP is not giving all the information and then do the same thing by quoting 'most' of the situation...

Oh and since Hunter hasn't made an issue of the storage, why are you? If this was a one off event then hey, shame on the OP but this is not the only 170 to have this problem. Its a defect, not a storage issue. Perhaps the storage exacerbated the situation but that does not change the fact that it is a manufactures defect.

Mark Twain

Last edited by krozet; 01-29-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2010

Quote:
Really? I didn't see you quote where hunter required him to ship a 17 foot boat from Canada to Florida to get his 'free' repair, perhaps I missed it?
The part about Florida was in one of Wundrbar's quotes, in my post.

As in:

Quote:
Sorry just getting caught up on this thread. I can't help but share my thoughts when I read the comment about Eddie Breeden. Talking to Eddie reminds me of why I DISLIKE these guys so much. He's the guy who said he would fix my defective Hunter 170 if I paid to SHIP it to Florida and back.

Old 01-30-2010

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
Customs , fuel surcharges , Its over with, weight considerations , freight transfers ... add the bucks !

Put a ton of wet snow beyond your bracing under your boat ....some things gotta give ! where is the cover ?

Im not a hunter fan at all ... Whats it going to cost to replace the one you have , ship it out or repair it your self ?

You have to feather out the crack and fill it with Hunter advice ...Just flow ! Have your friends over drink beer cook out and it gets done !

Just dont drink beer till the work is done .
Old 01-30-2010
Waiting For Spring

Quote:
The part about Florida was in one of Wundrbar's quotes, in my post.

As in:
Let me get my other glasses.... looking for shipping across international boarder.... Looking for the location 'Ontario', which is in Canada..... Nope, still don't see it. Even increasing the size of the text doesn't seem to reveal the missing text. Maybe I am still missing something?

Obviously there is more to the story but AGAIN it is Hypocritical of you Maine Sail to point out that there is part of the story missing and then fail to mention that the key issue seems to be that free repair of the boat requires shipping the boat at the cost of the OP from Ontario, Canada to Florida. You quoted the OP that he could get a free repair if he paid to ship the product to Florida, would have been so hard to point out that the OP was in Canada and quote all the facts? Shipping from Canada might be a bit more of a hassle then shipping from Georgia or Texas!

Selectively leaving out key pieces of information is the same thing you are accusing the OP of doing. If you don't see that, then we will have to agree to disagree. Again I don't care one way or another.

There are better things to be doing than arguing on the internet. I for one am going to go work on my maintenance plans for April when my boat will be splashed.

Fair Winds to all.

Mark Twain
Old 01-30-2010

Quote:
Let me get my other glasses.... looking for shipping across international boarder.... Looking for the location 'Ontario', which is in Canada..... Nope, still don't see it. Even increasing the size of the text doesn't seem to reveal the missing text. Maybe I am still missing something?

Obviously there is more to the story but AGAIN it is Hypocritical of you Maine Sail to point out that there is part of the story missing and then fail to mention that the key issue seems to be that free repair of the boat requires shipping the boat at the cost of the OP from Ontario, Canada to Florida.
Krozet,

You are entitled to your opinion and if you want to call my "hypocritical" that's fine. I was in no way trying to hide or omit the Canada portion. Why would I, when it is clearly stated two or three times in this thread alone that he lives in Ontario? If I was to purposely do that I would then have to assume no one on Sailnet can read, which I know they can..

The fact remains that Wundrbar lives in Canada, and also, that this is no secret. It was mentioned a number of times in this thread, that he lives in Ontario, Canada. Anyone who reads the thread would know that.

To satisfy your curiosity of my quoting, here is the ENTIRE post that I quoted the shipping portion from. It was posted on SBO 10/9/09.

Quote:
Sorry just getting caught up on this thread. I can't help but share my thoughts when I read the comment about Eddie Breeden. Talking to Eddie reminds me of why I DISLIKE these guys so much. He's the guy who said he would fix my defective Hunter 170 if I paid to SHIP it to Florida and back. Shipping a boat is very expensive. He is the one who told the small claims judge that my boat had depreciated 90% in 9 years. He is the guy who blamed ME for the mysterious winter cracking of my hull even though dozens of this forum's readers have had the same problem. So, Franklin, take what "Eddie" says with a very BIG grain of salt and maybe start looking at another manufacturer's option.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-30-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Closed Thread