SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   OMC Sail Drive (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/594-omc-sail-drive.html)

traversing 01-17-2001 04:34 PM

OMC Sail Drive

I have a 1980 15hp OMC Sail Drive in my 1980 Helms 27. I am getting ready to remove it from my boat because I need the storage and also to hang the new Mercury 9.9 Four Stoke off of the stern. I am wondering if there is a market for good OMC Sail Drives and what they may be worth. I am sure someone out there could use it. I can be reached at traversing@yahoo.com Thank You, Ronnie Warren.

JWMOORE 02-15-2001 06:59 PM

OMC Sail Drive

Just a couple of days ago I saw another message on SainNet from a guy looking for a SailDrive. Can''t remember his name. But I''m sure you can search the message board for SailDrive and find him.
I''m curious why your getting rid of yours? I just bought a USYacht 25'' with SailDrive. It seems like a neat installation. Have you had problems? Good Luck

JWMOORE 02-15-2001 07:11 PM

OMC Sail Drive

I found him again. He can be reached at:
Author: billybee (billybee@bayou.com)

bgriffiths 03-03-2001 08:57 AM

OMC Sail Drive

What can you tell me about OMC saildrives? Are they reliable? How difficult are they to work on in a cramped space? How difficult are they to remove entirely from a Hughes 26? How much of a fire hazard are they? Do you have thoughts on a small diesel alternative?
Is a 9.9 outboard big enough to push a Hughes 26? Would I need a long-shaft 9.9?

Bob

modusvivendi 03-09-2001 12:45 PM

OMC Sail Drive

Not more difficult than most sailboat that size! Have you seen a sailboat that size with inboard that was easy to access? I have a C&C27, with the famous Universal Atomic 4. You got to go on a diet a week prior to working on the engine.
I heard the OMC saildrive are reliable and you should not worry about them too much. I know someone who has one, and he had water backing up to the engine. the engine stalled and filled with water. I heard of a drain plug on the exhaust, does anyone know about this? Perhaps you could buy a used one, and save the parts for the future!

bgriffiths 03-15-2001 12:51 PM

OMC Sail Drive

Thanks for the reply to my message. I appreciate the advice.

Bob

chrisMiller 02-17-2007 10:20 PM

did you get rid of your omc engine

Quote:

Originally Posted by traversing
I have a 1980 15hp OMC Sail Drive in my 1980 Helms 27. I am getting ready to remove it from my boat because I need the storage and also to hang the new Mercury 9.9 Four Stoke off of the stern. I am wondering if there is a market for good OMC Sail Drives and what they may be worth. I am sure someone out there could use it. I can be reached at traversing@yahoo.com Thank You, Ronnie Warren.

I am looking at purchasing a 1980 S2 7.3 and it to has a OMC engine. I see where you wanted to remove the engine and put on a outboard. Did you do it? and if so how hard and expensive was it to do and have you had any leakage problems.

Chris

sailingdog 02-18-2007 08:43 AM

Chris, you are aware that they haven't posted in six years... and are very unlikely to respond...

chamann981 06-19-2007 08:13 AM

omc saildrive

Quote:

Originally Posted by modusvivendi
Not more difficult than most sailboat that size! Have you seen a sailboat that size with inboard that was easy to access? I have a C&C27, with the famous Universal Atomic 4. You got to go on a diet a week prior to working on the engine.
I heard the OMC saildrive are reliable and you should not worry about them too much. I know someone who has one, and he had water backing up to the engine. the engine stalled and filled with water. I heard of a drain plug on the exhaust, does anyone know about this? Perhaps you could buy a used one, and save the parts for the future!

I have an OMC saildrive in a late 70's S2. It worked fine until this season when one of the cylinders filled with water. The mechanic says the engine is toast with probably a cracked cylinder. However he said the compression test was OK ??

Experienced advice is needed! Should I drag the boat all over Western New York looking for a second opinion on an almost 30 year old engine or just hang an outboard on the stern? I love the convenience of the electric start inboard and the looks of not having and outboard sticking out back.

sailingdog 06-19-2007 08:32 AM

Unless it was running full tilt when it hydrolocked, it is possible that it isn't badly damaged. I'd get a second opinion. If your boat wasn't designed for an outboard, you won't be happy with the performance, looks aside... the outboards tend to porpoise in and out of the water, and also add a lot of weight far aft...