Shopping trip to Annapolis/Mayo/Deale/Rose Haven on Saturday - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Shopping trip to Annapolis/Mayo/Deale/Rose Haven on Saturday

Hi everyone. I'm relatively new here and posted another topic around where to sail near Philly. After visiting the NE corner of Maryland last weekend, we're headed down to Annapolis area tomorrow morning to look at more sailboats. We have a crowded schedule, and looks like we will not have time to make it to Rock Hall on this trip.

As before, we're still considering 25-30' range of cruisers for our first "real" sailboat (aside from a Phantom that we've sailed for 10 years), most likely to end up with 27'. My wife seems to like the Catalina layouts and styling the best, so we're looking at a bunch of those. We're hitting the largest brokers in the towns listed above, plus a look at a couple of private listings.

I'm open to any advice you have, especially if you have a boat to sell in the under $15k category. I'll be checking in from my Blackberry, so I can pick up any suggestions you have.

-- Rick.

Last edited by TakeFive; 11-01-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
That's a busy schedule!

After a while, all the boats will start to look the same with just minor variations. Just relax and have fun! Enjoy!
Old 10-31-2009
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Rick, I don't think they are open on Saturdays but (not to buy a boat) a trip to Bacon Assoc. (Bacon Sails) is real fun diversion just to spend an hour or so cking out all the consignment and salvage parts on hand! new stuff too!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2009

Our trip today was very helpful. We saw boats over the entire 25-30' range, including Catalina, Pearson, Hake Seaward, C&C, and a couple others I can't remember. So far, surprisingly, we are still leaning toward the little Catalina 250 (wing keel version) because the cockpit of EVERY BOAT we saw was less roomy than the C250.

It is clear that my wife's #1 priority is cockpit space and comfort. She says that she tends to get seasick inside the cabin and expects to spend all her time in the cockpit unless absolutely necessary to go down below. If we sleep overnight and weather permits, she would like to sleep outside in the cockpit. Considering how hot things might get in the cabin in the summertime, I could envision doing this too.

Although I have never gotten seasick in or out of the cabin, I also see us doing daysailing and going home, especially if we keep it 10 min. away on the Delaware. I'd still like a small cabin for the occasional overnight, changing clothes, etc. - otherwise I'd just get a pure daysailer.

I've seen comments that the Catalina 250 cockpit seating area is actually larger than the C27, C270, C28MkII, and some versions of the C30 (according to some guy who got measurements from a cushion manufacturer). Although we have not gotten out a tape measure to verify, this seems consistent with what we've seen so far. And the corner seats on the 97 and later models of the C250 add more space and just seem to be way cool.

So after our tour today, we continue to lean toward the little 250, the "daysailer on steroids." This is a surprising result, because I really expected to like the C27 or C30 better than the 250. And there are so many C27's out there that I could get for less money (up-front) than the C250. But on the other hand, the inexpensive C27's are mid-80's vintage, and the 250 we are looking at is late '90's, so that could be the reason for the price difference.

I've also been impressed that every single 250 we have seen (3 on water, 1 on trailer) has had a bone-dry bilge. Not sure why - might just be that they are newer - but also the C250 with outboard has no through-hull fittings beneath the water line. Could this be the reason why it stays so dry?

So we're thinking this over carefully, but the direction that we are heading is a little surprising to me at this point.
Old 11-01-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i would suggest you look at the 80 to 83 hunter 27's. they have a great cockpit layout, whith wheel steering you dont have to climb around. you could sit 7 in the cockpit if you wanted.

here is an add for one that has some decent pics including the cockpit
1982 Hunter 27 sailboat for sale

here is another one with pics
Hunter 27 sailboat for sale
Old 11-01-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I would not rush into this. You have all winter, traditionally when the prices of boats are the lowest. Check Jabins boatyard and Port Annapolis in Annapolis. make the trip to Rock hall and check Rogue Wave Yachts, Gratitude Sailing Center.

You will get less motion sickness on a larger , broader beamed boat as it inherently more stable.

BTW, sleeping in the cockpit can get you eaten alive, unless you use mosquito netting. There is a reason most of us sleep below ith no-see-um screens in our hatches, ports and cockpit openings.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I would not rush into this. You have all winter, traditionally when the prices of boats are the lowest. Check Jabins boatyard and Port Annapolis in Annapolis. make the trip to Rock hall and check Rogue Wave Yachts, Gratitude Sailing Center.

You will get less motion sickness on a larger , broader beamed boat as it inherently more stable.

BTW, sleeping in the cockpit can get you eaten alive, unless you use mosquito netting. There is a reason most of us sleep below ith no-see-um screens in our hatches, ports and cockpit openings.

Dave
Yes, I realize that time is on our side, especially this time of year. We do have to look at more boats, but weekend commitments coming up are going to limit what we can do for awhile. It will probably be good to take a break.

My biggest concern about the C250 is its lesser stability and safety if foul weather should blow in quickly. But it has some really neat features that make it fun as a daysailer (walk-through transom with swim ladder, corner observation seats, etc.), and its simplicity seems to require significantly lower maintenance (outboard motor, no through-hull fittings below the waterline). And although I would personally never want to trailer it, I would consider hiring someone to truck it up to Lake Wallenpaupack for a year or two (after shaking it down on the Delaware for a year or so). A larger boat would be more difficult to haul, and shore power is not available on the Lake either.

I also realize this this my one opportunity to buy without having to coordinate the sale of an existing boat, so it will really be worth it to take my time and find a boat that I will be happy with for at least 10 years.

Lots to think about.

-- Rick

Last edited by TakeFive; 11-01-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I would not rush into this. You have all winter, traditionally when the prices of boats are the lowest.
I would second this. Keep actively looking at boats and take notes and pictures. You will get an idea about the real condition of the boat in the cold months as opposed to the show condition in warmer times. I bought my Catalina 27 3 seasons ago (purchased March 07) after seeing it in February (it had ice on the deck the first time I looked) and made an offer the next weekend... you checkbook will appreciate you waiting cause you will pay less.
Old 11-02-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Take notes, take pictures and take your time. Try to get a sail on the style boat you're interested in if possible. With time and effort you'll find the boat for you.

MGM
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD